Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Cool The problem with reading

The problem with reading, is that you can like it way too much at times.

It can take over your life and time for a good while, much to the detriment of other activities. That was especially so for me when I was young, but even into later years. Of course, reading is one of the great escapes, perhaps the best, though it can require some effort ... more so than just watching something.

When reading pricks the imagination, it can be like food or sustenance to the soul ... if such exists, or to the mind at the very least. It can help sustain you through things, bolster you up even.

So many very different things have been thought about reading, by different groups of readers and individuals.

How we value reading as societies, has changed a lot over the years.

I can well remember, when as a child some 50+ years ago, that many weren't enamored of reading fiction or they were very biased about acceptable types. Fantasy and Science Fiction were frowned upon, and even unacceptable in many circles. Horror was sort of okay, so long as no fantastical elements. There were a lot of misconceptions and snobbishness around, which has improved heaps these days, but still exists ... if to a much more minor degree now.

Many types of fiction back then, were either classed as children's stories or women's. And Fantasy in particular, was not acceptable even for children in many families, or just seen as fairy tales, that you did not read beyond a certain age. Schools and other institutions often had that view too. Thankfully we have come a long way since then.

Luckily I grew up in a family, that did not hold those limited views, and I quite believe I have gotten more out of reading Science Fiction and Fantasy stories, than I ever got our of reading many of the classics you were forced to read at school. To me, the fantastical genres were often only the background or settings for a very human story to occur, that was more often than not, character driven and heavy on questioning the world around us and the society we lived in. You kind of learnt a lot about behavior, about ethical and moral considerations and the universe of bias that has its parallels in the real world.

So the problem of reading occurs on many fronts really. It can be a voice that many don't want you to hear, even some governments and religions want to control what you can or can't read. Some repressive regimes go so far, that they even have book burnings. And lets be honest here, reading can be such a waste of time ... certainly in many eyes. While you are reading, you a sedentary and not doing anything else, and for some, even their health can be impacted ... so addicted are they.

So to some minds, you just laze around and then question everything.

Me, I like reading ... and won't stop any time soon. It's my drug of choice ... that and music.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Many of my friends, in my long life, have mocked me for my reading habits. Why 'waste time' reading, when you could be out doing sporty things etc? Well I have never been interested (or any good!) at any sport, and my pleasure in reading has improved my knowledge of so many things. History,at our school was patchy at best, and we left school with many half-formed and often wrong ideas; my reading has corrected these misbeliefs over time!
Once I discovered that those strange glyphs on things actually made words and became language, I was hooked. As a child, if I had nothing else to hand, I would happily read the cereal packets at breakfast time!
A book requires no input from anyone else, no effort,and can magically transport the reader to anywhere the imagination can reach. Non-readers for all their mockery, are missing out on a valuable rescource to the brain so far as I am concerned. Let the sporty types run/jump/kick/throw etc, and let others with other interests do their own thing.Leave me in peace, I am a reader and would not change that for the world!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Yep, can totally agree that reading is a wonderful resource.

However, it is also a propaganda tool, so there are inherent dangers.

And I don't totally agree with the 'no effort' aspect, as some (perhaps many) reads do require significant effort in my experience ... especially, but not only, non-fiction reads in many cases.

I guess it depends on how your brain is wired and how you have been educated, and what your experiences have been.

I have found some books to be tough to get into, though they may be greatly rewarding once you do get into them. Music can be somewhat the same.

I guess the short answer is familiarity, but the full answer is somewhat more complex, and have some element of adaptability and flexibility of the mind ... at the very least. Maturity would play a part too, both in a positive and negative manner (pre-conceived notions, bias, etc). Mood is also a big factor, which can change by the hour or day ... maybe even the minute.

Last edited by Timboli; 08-03-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote