Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I wholeheartedly agree about Shirley Jackson's masterpiece. Not a haunted house novel in its own right Stephen King's Salem's Lot prominently featured the Marsten House, quite a creepy place.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just checked with Amazon, and the Audible audiobook is $2 cheaper than the Kindle ebook. Go figure.
I thought Bernadette Dunne did a great narration of this.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I also recommend the Bernadette Dunne version; there's another one narrated by David Warner that doesn't seem to be available at Audible, but Overdrive has it (Overdrive has both versions).

Is anyone familiar with Wendy Webb's The Fate of Mercy Alban? It fits the haunted house category; I keep considering it but haven't read it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Obvious suggestion: Stephen King's The Shining

There's also Richard Matheson's Hell House. I liked it, but didn't love it.

Two I haven't read yet, but mean to are Anne Rivers Siddons' The House Next Door and Robert Marasco's Burnt Offerings.

Douglas Clegg has a series of four books about a haunted house called Harrow. More books I haven't yet read, but hear good things about. As far as I know, each book is stand-alone.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-06-2017 at 01:31 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's a title I haven't thought of in years. I read Burnt Offerings many moons ago, probably when it was first published, when I read a lot more horror than I do now. I don't remember details, but I do remember I hated it. Maybe I should revisit it, though.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That's a title I haven't thought of in years. I read Burnt Offerings many moons ago, probably when it was first published, when I read a lot more horror than I do now. I don't remember details, but I do remember I hated it. Maybe I should revisit it, though.
I've seen the movie with Bette Davis, Karen Black and Oliver Reed. I liked the movie well enough, but always got the feeling the book would be better.

I've had it on my Amazon list for forever, but have been waiting for the price to drop or my desire to read it immediately to grow.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Jay Anson's The Amityville Horror is good. According to IMDB
Quote:
James Brolin was hesitant when he was first offered the role of George Lutz. He was told that there was no script and that he must obtain a copy of Jay Anson's novel and read it as soon as possible. Brolin started the book one evening at seven o'clock and was still reading at two o'clock in the morning. He had hung a pair of his pants up in the room earlier and at a really "tense" part in the book, the pants fell down from wherever they had been hanging. Brolin jumped out of his chair, nearly crashing his head into the ceiling. It was then that Brolin said, "There's something to this story." He agreed to do the movie.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Obvious suggestion: Stephen King's The Shining

There's also Richard Matheson's Hell House. I liked it, but didn't love it.

Two I haven't read yet, but mean to are Anne Rivers Siddons' The House Next Door and Robert Marasco's Burnt Offerings.

Douglas Clegg has a series of four books about a haunted house called Harrow. More books I haven't yet read, but hear good things about. As far as I know, each book is stand-alone.
The Shining has a sequel out now. And there is the Diary of Ellen Rimbaur as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Jay Anson's The Amityville Horror is good. According to IMDB
I'd wager that part of James Brolin's tenseness came from believing the events to be real.

Once you learn it was all a hoax, you're just left with Jay Anson's writing, which I remember being kind of hokey.

Having just slagged the book, I'd try it again.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'd wager that part of James Brolin's tenseness came from believing the events to be real.

Once you learn it was all a hoax, you're just left with Jay Anson's writing, which I remember being kind of hokey.

Having just slagged the book, I'd try it again.
Could be. Then again I remember reading it when I was younger and finding the story creepy so (at least in my case) it may have stemmed not only from the possibility of the events being real but how Jay Anson wrote it as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I thought Bernadette Dunne did a great narration of this.

Just bought it. But I have a big backlog of audiobooks ahead of it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Not a book, but a terrific haunted house movie is Peter Medak's The Changeling, with George C. Scott as a composer renting a mansion in Seattle. Not gory, but very creepy.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #28
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
A Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson
Slade House by David Mitchell
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by R. A. Dick (not a horror story)
The Green Man by Kingsley Amis

Last edited by BenG; 11-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
A Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson
Slade House by David Mitchell
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by R. A. Dick (not a horror story)
The Green Man by Kingsley Amis
I've not yet read A Stir of Echoes, but I thought the movie (which I understand is very different) was terrific.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #30
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Not a book, but a terrific haunted house movie is Peter Medak's The Changeling, with George C. Scott as a composer renting a mansion in Seattle. Not gory, but very creepy.
Thank you for the recommendation. I watched it last night and it was wonderfully creepy.

My recommendation is the Merrily Watkins series by Phil Rickman. Which is about a single mom reverend who becomes, reluctantly, the Deliverance Minister (nice word for Exorcist) of the Hereford area. She also manages to get involved with murders. The books leave it up to the reader to believe if the happenings are supernatural or not.

I also like Barbara Michaels' books, which usually involve ghosts. Though they also have a bit of romance.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote