Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Angry Aura One stuck at the home screen

My Aura One is suddenly stuck at the home screen, never turns itself off (it started 3 hours ago, in transit). Pushing the blue button doesn't work. I just came back home and tried it on my PC then plugged into the wall, with no reaction (no "connect", no loading icon). This is my 3rd One, and it is quite new (the first - 1/09/16 - was exchanged the 8/09/16 for a better screen, then the 19/09/17 because it was not recognized by the PC anymore).
What could possibly cause it? Any suggestion to restart it?

Last edited by anacreon; 12-07-2017 at 03:29 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Could you post a good photo of the screen, please?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 AM   #3
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no means to do it presently, but there is no trace of a broken screen as I have seen in so many posts here, no anomaly whatsoever.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Charge the device with a wall charger and different USB cable for few hours and then try to turn it on, also see if LED flashing.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #5
anacreon
Guru

Well, after charging some 12 hours, I managed to turn it on. What seems very strange is that the battery is at 27% (possibly because the screen was on the whole time, with white light at 18%, and the natural light at some 50%).
And just typing that, and checking the light levels, the battery dropped to 14%.
It seems strange to have such severe battery leaks on a new device (under 3 months old), and stranger that the screen remained on, which can only increase the problem.

EDIT: I remembered I already had a similar problem, at the beginning or November and posted about it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291913

I wonder whether I have a dud. My guarantee is until 1/09/2018, but it is annoying being abandoned in transit. I can read some on my phone, but it is uncomfortable and bad for my eyes in the long run - and I don't want to kill the phone's battery as well.

Last edited by anacreon; 12-07-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Well, after charging some 12 hours, I managed to turn it on. What seems very strange is that the battery is at 27% (possibly because the screen was on the whole time, with white light at 18%, and the natural light at some 50%).
And just typing that, and checking the light levels, the battery dropped to 14%.
It seems strange to have such severe battery leaks on a new device (under 3 months old), and stranger that the screen remained on, which can only increase the problem.

EDIT: I remembered I already had a similar problem, at the beginning or November and posted about it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291913

I wonder whether I have a dud. My guarantee is until 1/09/2018, but it is annoying being abandoned in transit. I can read some on my phone, but it is uncomfortable and bad for my eyes in the long run - and I don't want to kill the phone's battery as well.
The battery issues were do to some issues in some firmware versions. The current version does not have the battery issues. So if you are not at the current firmware, update and the battery troubles should go away.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

At least it's not a broken screen. completely discharging the battery is not good thing and will worsen the battery performance.
try calibrate the battery maybe it will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The battery issues were do to some issues in some firmware versions. The current version does not have the battery issues. So if you are not at the current firmware, update and the battery troubles should go away.
One thing I did notice in the current firmware (4.6.10075) is that when the battery level is low 3-9% it didn't shutoff and show the black screen asking to charge the device, it just stuck stop working, until I charge it.

Last edited by oren64; 12-07-2017 at 07:02 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
At least it's not a broken screen. completely discharging the battery is not good thing and will worsen the battery performance.
try calibrate the battery maybe it will help.

One thing I did notice in the current firmware (4.6.10075) is that when the battery level is low 3-9% it didn't shutoff and show the black screen asking to charge the device, it just stuck stop working, until I charge it.
Try 4.6.10075. Maybe that problem is fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #9
anacreon
Guru

I am on the latest F/W.
I've been thinking of reasons for discharge: I never activate the automatic wake-up, but could all the magnets in a woman's handbag wake up the reader all the same? But still, I have automatic sleep at 10 minutes, so the reader should go back to sleep before long.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I am on the latest F/W.
I've been thinking of reasons for discharge: I never activate the automatic wake-up, but could all the magnets in a woman's handbag wake up the reader all the same? But still, I have automatic sleep at 10 minutes, so the reader should go back to sleep before long.
I didn't know woman had a lot of magnets in their handbags. It might explain why my wife's always seems so heavy

If there are other magnets interfering with the sleep, they are probably also preventing the automatic sleep from kicking in. I have seen this when my different device come into close contact and are moved to wake or put them to sleep at unexpected points.

To me it sounds like the software hung for some reason. Or in some sort of continuous loop. If the magnets were triggering a continuous waking and sleeping cycle, this might have caused it. For the older devices, I would have suggest using the pinhole reset, but the Aura ONE doesn't have one. That means you have to force it off by holding the power button down for 20 or 30 seconds. Then charge it before starting it again.

I don't think that this will be a sign of a faulty device. The battery not being fully charged after so long, is a concern. But, only if it doesn't charge now that you have the device running properly. Now that it is running, restart the device properly and then cycle the battery a couple of times and see if it does go to 100%. If it won't, then it's probably faulty and should be exchanged. Otherwise it's probably OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:48 AM   #11
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I didn't know woman had a lot of magnets in their handbags. It might explain why my wife's always seems so heavy

If there are other magnets interfering with the sleep, they are probably also preventing the automatic sleep from kicking in. I have seen this when my different device come into close contact and are moved to wake or put them to sleep at unexpected points.

To me it sounds like the software hung for some reason. Or in some sort of continuous loop. If the magnets were triggering a continuous waking and sleeping cycle, this might have caused it. For the older devices, I would have suggest using the pinhole reset, but the Aura ONE doesn't have one. That means you have to force it off by holding the power button down for 20 or 30 seconds. Then charge it before starting it again.

I don't think that this will be a sign of a faulty device. The battery not being fully charged after so long, is a concern. But, only if it doesn't charge now that you have the device running properly. Now that it is running, restart the device properly and then cycle the battery a couple of times and see if it does go to 100%. If it won't, then it's probably faulty and should be exchanged. Otherwise it's probably OK.
There is a magnet to close the bag, a magnet to close my glasses case, a magnet to close my cards case, and credit cards have magnetic strips instead of or as well as a chip, all this interacting with the reader's magnets. It interferes with transit pass chips too as the authorities keep warning us about.

Thank you for your advice. It will be difficult to cycle the reader completely though, since I keep connecting it to memorize reading positions, adding books, correcting books with minor or major problems. But I'm anxious to read on it again: the H2o2 is fine as a spare wheel (which is what I bought it for), but the screen is poor, yellowish with the light turned off, the comfort light is not as good, the characters not so crisp - and the real estate...