Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #46
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
The e-reader I am looking for has a 7 inch lighted screen with the aspect ratio of the STR, open android system that updates from Google, minimum of 1gb of ram, 8 or more gb of storage, an sd card reader and no tied to the device reader app installed--let the user choose his own apps.

bernie
That would be a nice device!

Out of all the e-readers I have had, the closest one to ideal, for me, is the Onyx Boox Kepler Pro. eInk, 6 in. display, backlit, 1gb ram, 16 gb internal storage, microSD card slot, and the Onyx firmware is based on Android. Has Google Play and Onyx reading apps, but you can install your own. Page turn buttons. Only drawback for me? The firmware is based on Android 4.0.4. That's fine for some apps I use, but too old for at least one I'd love to use with eInk.

The Glowlight 3 is based on Android 4.4.2. Its hardware is not as good as the Kepler Pro's. Also, no sd card slot and partitioned storage. If I just want to read eBooks, however, the Glowlight is fine. That adjustable light is easy on the eyes.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 AM   #47
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Yes, we're all looking for that "one device to rule them all". The Glowlight 3 has most of what you are looking for. But you may already have that with the devices you have now.

I bought mine because I still feel a soft spot for Nook stuff, and it gave me the opportunity to play around with it and learn a little more. I also like the adjustable color. There are lots of good choices for e-readers out there. No perfect ones, perhaps...
I must have my first Nook GL somewhere. I loved the haptic, so I still have a soft spot for Nook. But... I'd have to order it through a mail forwarder (I am in Europe) and the nice price would end up being not so nice in the end. I already cancelled my Oasis pre-order because I am being much more rational these days .. or let's say the truth: my money now goes into running gear, and my running shoes collection is pretty impressive.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #48
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I must have my first Nook GL somewhere. I loved the haptic, so I still have a soft spot for Nook. But... I'd have to order it through a mail forwarder (I am in Europe) and the nice price would end up being not so nice in the end. I already cancelled my Oasis pre-order because I am being much more rational these days .. or let's say the truth: my money now goes into running gear, and my running shoes collection is pretty impressive.
Enjoy your running - and your running shoe collection! I enjoy long walks - 10-20km per day, sometimes more. The shoe store people recommended that I wear running shoes, since I was doing that kind of walking. It's been great for my physical and emotional health. One cannot live by reading alone - though I have tried...
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
t's been great for my physical and emotional health. One cannot live by reading alone - though I have tried...
That's why god invented audiobooks.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #50
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's why god invented audiobooks.
I have tried. Not working for me. Podcast yes, but audiobook no way. When I am running, I am not listening very attentively, I am more into the rhythm of my feet and listening is a secondary thing. It's weird..I can't really explain it. Also, I run trails in the mountain, so I need to be attentive all the time of where I put said feet.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #51
downeaster59
Wizard

If I'm driving, or sitting in my home, an audiobook is fine. If I'm on a treadmill, it's almost essential! However, when I'm outside, I would much rather be open to the sounds of nature.

An audiobook, read well, can be a treat every now and then. Most of the time, however, I prefer silent reading. There's plenty of talk in the world as it is!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #52
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
If I'm driving, or sitting in my home, an audiobook is fine. If I'm on a treadmill, it's almost essential! However, when I'm outside, I would much rather be open to the sounds of nature.

An audiobook, read well, can be a treat every now and then. Most of the time, however, I prefer silent reading. There's plenty of talk in the world as it is!
You are so right !
Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have tried. Not working for me. Podcast yes, but audiobook no way. When I am running, I am not listening very attentively, I am more into the rhythm of my feet and listening is a secondary thing. It's weird..I can't really explain it. Also, I run trails in the mountain, so I need to be attentive all the time of where I put said feet.
Quote:

I can't argue with your points. I like quiet myself, which is one reason I don't watch television. But in particular when I'm swimming, I find that audiobooks help a lot to keep me going after boredom would ordinarily have had me calling it quits. Similarly, a walk around my neighborhood has little to engage me and an audiobook helps keep me in the zone, not dislodge me from it. But I must admit I'm unlikely to resort to one when I'm walking along a beach, say.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #54
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I can't argue with your points. I like quiet myself, which is one reason I don't watch television. But in particular when I'm swimming, I find that audiobooks help a lot to keep me going after boredom would ordinarily have had me calling it quits. Similarly, a walk around my neighborhood has little to engage me and an audiobook helps keep me in the zone, not dislodge me from it. But I must admit I'm unlikely to resort to one when I'm walking along a beach, say.
We're all agreed on the value of audiobooks. It's simply a matter of when they work best for each of us. If I walked regularly around the neighborhood, or did something repetitive (like laps around a track or pool, or the treadmill) then, yes, an audiobook is a great asset! Probably necessary.

A good reader can bring out shades of meaning or emotion that I might miss when reading on my own. It's like listening to an old radio show. My imagination can be engaged in a different way than when I read in silence. As a rule, though, I best enjoy an audiobook in smaller portions, a little per day.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #55
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i don't do aubible books. but i did, i would just put them on an audio player like the sandisk audio players or an ipod touch or phone. it's small enough that it's not going to be a burden to carry an extra device. audio drains the battery much faster when you use it from an e-reader. and you certainly wouldn't want to carry a kindle while running.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #56
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
SO love the fact that it's so easy to turn on developer mode and install apps - thanks for the confirmation.
are you saying that you don't need to install another launcher? the nook launcher will work with installed apks?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #57
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
are you saying that you don't need to install another launcher? the nook launcher will work with installed apks?
You need to install another launcher. I found an old zeam launcher apk. It's light on resources and looks decent in eInk. I had Nova Launcher on the Nook, but now I prefer zeam.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #58
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
You need to install another launcher. I found an old zeam launcher apk. It's light on resources and looks decent in eInk. I had Nova Launcher on the Nook, but now I prefer zeam.
Downeaster is correct - the built-in Launcher will have no idea of any other applications installed on the device. But being able to sideload any APK (including a launcher) is much easier than jumping through all kinds of hoops in order to root the device before being able to get into developer mode.

The only thing that I haven't figured out (and didn't figure out in previous devices either) is how to have different ways to get into the two different launchers. Since I'm in the Nook app 90% of the time I would like to have the short-press of the Nook button start that launcher. But I can't have it be the default launcher because I would never be able to get into my 3rd-party launcher. So right now I just have no default launcher and leave the "always do this" unmarked and select one or the other from the menu. Would like to be able to do something like have a double-press of the upper left button (yay physical page turn buttons!) start my 3rd-party launcher and leave the Nook button for the default.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #59
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Downeaster is correct - the built-in Launcher will have no idea of any other applications installed on the device. But being able to sideload any APK (including a launcher) is much easier than jumping through all kinds of hoops in order to root the device before being able to get into developer mode.

The only thing that I haven't figured out (and didn't figure out in previous devices either) is how to have different ways to get into the two different launchers. Since I'm in the Nook app 90% of the time I would like to have the short-press of the Nook button start that launcher. But I can't have it be the default launcher because I would never be able to get into my 3rd-party launcher. So right now I just have no default launcher and leave the "always do this" unmarked and select one or the other from the menu. Would like to be able to do something like have a double-press of the upper left button (yay physical page turn buttons!) start my 3rd-party launcher and leave the Nook button for the default.
Not sure if you can do that without root. The folks at the xda thread might be able to help you there. Have you ever used the Tasker app? That could help. Especially Tasker and Xposed (with root). Then you can remap the buttons for short or long press, or whatever. I worked with those once on my Boyue T63. I haven't yet dug out the instructions I followed then. They wouldn't all pertain to our Nook, but they'd be close enough to help you see how you might do it. Now it's finding those instructions...

Aha! If you are rooted, check this out. These instructions were designed to remap the page turn buttons on the Boyue T63 to function with Logos/Verbum Bible study software. You will need to adapt the instructions to apply to the Nook and what you want to do with the buttons, but this will get you in a position where you have access to those options. You could remap any button this way.

Last edited by downeaster59; 11-16-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:58 AM   #60
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Not that I need a new ereader - - but did any of you who went to B&N notice if they have covers available?

And count me in as another recipient of B&N's pathetic customer service. Long story, but I had one of the original nooks with the cracked bezel and getting it replaced was an ordeal.

On the positive side, I really like the nook ST I got back when Target was clearing them out for 30ish dollars so getting one like it with a lighted color adjustable screen is a near no-brainer.
no covers yet. the store told me they will be stocked by black friday i believe
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote