Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Actually I don't know what exact fonts are used by UI that cannot be used, you can see that I only remove three fonts in the script.

If possible, I'd like to remove all the fonts that are not used by Kobo OS.

Is there such kind of list?
Why? It's a pointless operation.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #17
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Actually I don't know what exact fonts are used by UI that cannot be deleted, you can see that I only remove three fonts in the script.

If possible, I'd like to remove all the fonts that are not used by Kobo OS.

Is there such kind of list?
It uses Avenir Next and Georgia as the default UI fonts and sans-serif/serif reading fonts respectively. If Georgia is deleted, it'll default to using the Kobo Kakugo font for the UI (and I believe it'll fall back to Kobo Mincho as the default serif reading font). It's hard-coded to use the Kobo Kakugo font as a fallback and default font in both the UI and in reading mode for Japanese characters, and the AR UDJingxihei font for Chinese characters, regardless of language settings. Finally, it is hard-coded to use OpenDyslexic for Dyslexic Mode. Everything else is expendable (including OpenDyslexic, if you'll never use Dyslexic Mode, although it'll fall back to Kobo Kakugo if you activate the mode after deleting it; clearly Kakugo is the fallback font for many things so you probably won't want to delete that, although if you don't mind the look, you could probably get away with deleting everything but that and maybe Mincho, or everything but Avenir/Georgia if you don't care about UI fallback fonts).

Last edited by rtiangha; 07-06-2022 at 04:10 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:27 PM   #18
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Why? It's a pointless operation.
My font list is too long (over 2 pages) when I try to change font while reading, I don't use any built-in font from the list for my books.

Last edited by codychan; 07-06-2022 at 05:37 PM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #19
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
It uses Avenir Next and Georgia as the default UI fonts and sans-serif/serif reading fonts respectively. If Georgia is deleted, it'll default to using the Kobo Kakugo font for the UI (and I believe it'll fall back to Kobo Mincho as the default serif reading font). It's hard-coded to use the Kobo Kakugo font as a fallback and default font in both the UI and in reading mode for Japanese characters, and the AR UDJingxihei font for Chinese characters, regardless of language settings. Finally, it is hard-coded to use OpenDyslexic for Dyslexic Mode. Everything else is expendable (including OpenDyslexic, if you'll never use Dyslexic Mode, although it'll fall back to Kobo Kakugo if you activate the mode after deleting it; clearly Kakugo is the fallback font for many things so you probably won't want to delete that, although if you don't mind the look, you could probably get away with deleting everything but that and maybe Mincho, or everything but Avenir/Georgia if you don't care about UI fallback fonts).
Wow, thank you very much, that is very informative.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:08 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
My font list is too long (over 2 pages) when I try to change font while reading, I don't use any built-in font from the list for my books.
I have to ask a simple question.. Why so many fonts?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:27 AM   #21
codychan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I have to ask a simple question.. Why so many fonts?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I got several fonts that are regular fonts that most likely will be specified in the css files in a lot of ebooks, according to my expericens, many of my books are using multiple fonts at the same time (in css files).
I got several fonts that are used in my customized dicts.
I got several fonts that I may want to use when reading a book, different fonts for different types of books.
And other fonts are built-in from Kobo that I may never use.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I got several fonts that are regular fonts that most likely will be specified in the css files in a lot of ebooks, according to my expericens, many of my books are using multiple fonts at the same time (in css files).
Personally, I don't see the point of doing this since many of the fonts I've seen specified in epubs are not good fonts for displaying on an eInk screen. Not to mention the bleeping use of a cursive font for dropcaps. Fugly.

One recent horrid example specified the body font as "Times New Roman, Times, Georgia, Palatino, Roboto Serif, Noto Serif, Droid Serif, serif". Perhaps a simple 'serif' or just leaving that out so the reader can choose their personal choice of serif or sans-serif? If you don't want to leave the choice up to the reader, embed the font.

Quote:
I got several fonts that are used in my customized dicts.
I got several fonts that I may want to use when reading a book, different fonts for different types of books.
And other fonts are built-in from Kobo that I may never use.
Again, I see little point in changing fonts for the type of a book. A decent serif, sans-serif and monospace font basically cover all my needs. When reading kepubs, I also keep a copy of code2000 around since it's about the best free font for massive glyph coverage (not pretty but functional).

But chacun à son goût.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:34 PM   #23
codychan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, I don't see the point of doing this since many of the fonts I've seen specified in epubs are not good fonts for displaying on an eInk screen. Not to mention the bleeping use of a cursive font for dropcaps. Fugly.

One recent horrid example specified the body font as "Times New Roman, Times, Georgia, Palatino, Roboto Serif, Noto Serif, Droid Serif, serif". Perhaps a simple 'serif' or just leaving that out so the reader can choose their personal choice of serif or sans-serif? If you don't want to leave the choice up to the reader, embed the font.

Again, I see little point in changing fonts for the type of a book. A decent serif, sans-serif and monospace font basically cover all my needs. When reading kepubs, I also keep a copy of code2000 around since it's about the best free font for massive glyph coverage (not pretty but functional).

But chacun à son goût.
I have many ebooks written thousands of years ago, so those books edited by the publisher usually contain different types of text, such as `original text`, `footnote`, `translations`, etc. They usually need to be rendered in different fonts to make readers' eyes friendly. Sure, regular books such as modern novels usually only need one font.

Another issue is, my books in my collections are written in different types of languages, CJK and Latin, they need completely different fonts. I manually edited the CSS files in many of my books using Calibre since I'm not happy with the publisher's choice. And I really care about the fonts, if I don't care about fonts, I don't need any third party fonts at all, my books and Kobo device are totally working fine with built-in fonts.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:13 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I have many ebooks written thousands of years ago, so those books edited by the publisher usually contain different types of text, such as `original text`, `footnote`, `translations`, etc.
Those will work even on the poor DX and KK2 and earlier with default serif, sans and monospace faces, all of which have normal, bold, italic and bold italic.

We make epubs and embed the font. But we make sure before upload of epub to Amazon KDP that the mobi (KF7), azw3 (KF8) and epub versions are perfectly clear an readible on the device default settings (only option for older Kindles for mobi/KF7). Some older epub readers don't show embedded fonts, or only show them if the file is in a specific location.

I've been reading books since before PCs existed. Reading ebooks since before I had an ereader. I don't see the need.

I've over 3,000 PD ebooks, some are very old and the only extra font I embed at clean up is Georgia, because some ereaders have an older version that's less complete.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:46 AM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I tend to prefer different fonts for different genres. For example historical novels look good in Malabar, crime novels in Kobo Mincho, Shakespeare in Lexend. My overall prefered font is Caudex which tends to be used for romances and anything humorous.

I'll only set the font for a book once, maybe altering the font size if my eyes get a bit tired.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote