Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post

Meanwhile, just to muddy up the waters, I wonder if anyone is interested in another non-fic: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.
I took a look at the Goodreads reviews and they're fascinating in themselves; lots of both five-star and one-star reviews. My takeaway is that it's one of those broad, interdisciplinary accounts which can be fascinating and enlightening, but also annoying where the author doesn't really have an academic grounding in the underlying disciplines (and it's no longer possible to be a Renaissance man).

I'd read it. At a minimum, it would be provocative and could lead to a good discussion, although some reviewers mention its being on the dry side.

Last edited by issybird; 07-05-2018 at 08:33 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #47
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
My DW read it and liked it. I've not read it, though I think there must be a dead tree version here somewhere.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #48
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
We have a dead tree copy somewhere too, but I never did get round to reading it. I'd be prepared to give it a go if someone puts it up though.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, that's good enough for me. (I think Mrs. Charlie and I must have some tastes in common.) I still have a nomination left, so I'll go ahead and nominate it once I've pulled together a few links. I'm sure I'd find it interesting.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I'll nominate Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.

Quote:
In this "artful, informative, and delightful" (William H. McNeill, New York Review of Books) book, Jared Diamond convincingly argues that geographical and environmental factors shaped the modern world. Societies that had a head start in food production advanced beyond the hunter-gatherer stage, and then developed writing, technology, government, and organized religion—as well as nasty germs and potent weapons of war—and adventured on sea and land to conquer and decimate preliterate cultures. A major advance in our understanding of human societies, Guns, Germs, and Steel chronicles the way that the modern world came to be and stunningly dismantles racially based theories of human history.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Phi Beta Kappa Award in Science, the Rhone-Poulenc Prize, and the Commonwealth Club of California's Gold Medal.
Amazon US $9.18 | Amazon UK £7.99 | Amazon AU $4.99 | Amazon CA $14.15 | OverDrive

528 pages
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #51
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Coincidentally, the BBC Reith Lectures being broadcast at the moment are on the topic of war and its impact on society.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #52
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll nominate Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.

Amazon US $9.18 | Amazon UK £7.99 | Amazon AU $4.99 | Amazon CA $14.15 | OverDrive

528 pages
Seconded if I have a ticket left, which I think I do...
Old 07-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #53
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
OK, that's good enough for me. (I think Mrs. Charlie and I must have some tastes in common.) I still have a nomination left, so I'll go ahead and nominate it once I've pulled together a few links. I'm sure I'd find it interesting.
FWIW, when I mentioned that you were nominating it, she replied "Oh, that's a GREAT book!" So hopefully someone will give it a third.

The really strange part for me this month is that even though I was dreading this topic, I've ended up with 4 books I actively want to read and a couple of others that look interesting.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #54
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Well, I guess I'll third it, then, considering it was my suggestion after all...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will use my last ticket to second The Perfect Horse.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

A little less than a day to go before nominations close; we've got a couple of books which need a third, if someone's got a last ticket.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #57
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
issybird, can put in a last gasp change? Since there has not been much enthusiasm for my nomination, I'd like to withdraw it and use that vote to put in a third for The Perfect Horse. I'd like to see that get up for the vote.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #58
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
issybird, can put in a last gasp change? Since there has not been much enthusiasm for my nomination, I'd like to withdraw it and use that vote to put in a third for The Perfect Horse. I'd like to see that get up for the vote.
Sure, why not?

(As an aside, I have no problem with this but it has to be a case by case basis as I'm sure everyone wants.)

I suspect the issue with the DeMille was the length, not its intrinsic interest.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #59
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Thanks--I think this is a fascinating story. Years ago, there was a lovely Disney movie about the rescue of the Lipizzaners from the Nazis, called Miracle of the White Stallions, and I've always wanted to know more about them, especially since my favorite Mary Stewart book, Airs Above the Ground, features a Lipizzaner.

Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #60
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Sure, why not?

(As an aside, I have no problem with this but it has to be a case by case basis as I'm sure everyone wants.)

I suspect the issue with the DeMille was the length, not its intrinsic interest.
Thanks. Definitely case-by-case. Things could get messy real fast if everyone went chopping and changing their nominations, this just seemed a reasonable compromise in the circumstances - and The Perfect Horse is one that will get a vote from me.

I did wonder if Word of Honour might be a bit long. I also considered that, given that DeMille is so well known, if you like him you've probably read it, and if you don't you probably won't be in a hurry to try. (And the blurb isn't very appropriate to the book IMO.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks--I think this is a fascinating story. Years ago, there was a lovely Disney movie about the rescue of the Lipizzaners from the Nazis, called Miracle of the White Stallions, and I've always wanted to know more about them, especially since my favorite Mary Stewart book, Airs Above the Ground, features a Lipizzaner.[...]
You're welcome. It almost got a second from me as soon as it went up, but I decided I should hold on and see what else showed up and then I ran out of votes.

I haven't read that Mary Stewart book. The book of hers I've read most recently was Wildfire at Midnight, which was a fun murder mystery - a wonderful array of characters.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote