Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Recovering KUAL after 5.9.5.1 upgrade? ";log mrpi" has no effect

Sorry about having to create a new thread but I've not found anything that appears to match what I'm seeing...

TL;DR - Tried to switch to KUAL Booklet after update but neither ";log mrpi" nor ";un" work - ";711" does. Moving /usbnet/DISABLED_auto -> /usbnet/auto made no difference...

I've a KV (B013 09 - UK Wifi) which is now running f/w 5.9.5.1. I added the jailbreak some time ago, and it's been through a few firmware updates, which just means redoing the packages. It last updated some time ago, but I only really use the jailbreak/KUAL to update the categories and I'd not added any books via for a while, so only recently tried to run KUAL. I got "Application Error: The selected application could not be started", so headed here.

My searches suggested re-installing the mrinstaller, which I've done by unpacking the kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r14996 archive to the Kindle via the usb mount on my Mac, then added the Update KUALBooklet binary to mrpackages, then tried to trigger things via ";log mrpi" but the latter has no effect.

Code:
imac:Kindle gwyn$ pwd
/Volumes/Kindle
imac:Kindle gwyn$ ls -l
total 43920
drwxrwxrwx  1 gwyn  staff      8192  2 Feb 08:36 mkk
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 gwyn  staff      8192  1 Jun 23:38 mrpackages
drwxrwxrwx  1 gwyn  staff      8192  6 Mar 16:43 python
drwxrwxrwx  1 gwyn  staff      8192  9 Jul  2016 rp
drwxrwxrwx  1 gwyn  staff      8192 27 May 19:02 system
drwxrwxrwx  1 gwyn  staff      8192  2 Jun 15:28 usbnet
imac:Kindle gwyn$ ls -l mrpackages/
total 112
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 gwyn  staff  48648  1 Jun 16:52 Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.11_install.bin
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 gwyn  staff   4887  1 Aug  2016 Update_dummy_0.0.N.bin
I've also in the past had usb-networking working, but can't trigger it now, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something, has the update removed whatever the ";log mrpi" should be doing or maybe my original jailbreak was an old one and the ";log mrpi" functionality was added subsequently (just guessing).

Anyway, any thoughts/pointers or suggestions for things to try? It would be nice to have the option to manage Collections, but it's not worth my trying to downgrade the firmware nor taking the device apart to try to add a serial line!

Last edited by gwynevans; 06-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail Break
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
Start with the one attached to this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4

It is a "special" type of package build, you don't need a working MrPI (or anything other than the jail break itself) to install it.
Put at topmost level of visible USB storage, then use UYK as if it where an Amazon package.
Or you can just reboot into it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The bridge should have taken care of things after the update (if it was in a sane state: i.e., didn't get zapped by a factory reset or an account logout).

Have you restarted the device since the update?

And have you ever done a factory reset and/or a logout or something account-related since you initially jailbroke it?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that got me bootstrapped and let me install the KUAL Booklet - had a bit of confusion in that even after it installed successfully, it wasn't visible but then figured that the Kindle might still be scanning docs and I just needed to give it a few mins...

Now able to run the KUAL so re-installing the packages (python, libsync & usbnet for me)
--
NiLuJe: Restarted the device, yes, but no factory-resets nor account changes. One point is that normally the KUAL & mrpi features have survived, so I've just needed to reinstall the packages. As such, I've no idea how long ";log mrpi" has been non-functional as I've not tried it before, so it may be unrelated to this f/w update.

Last edited by gwynevans; 06-02-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@gwynevans: Did you at one point delete the "mkk" and "rp" folder from the userstore?

That's the only way I can see for the bridge to restore the JB key but nothing else (among which is the dispatcher for ;log mrpi).

That, or a tremendously old bridge version, which shouldn't be possible for a Voyage, if memory serves ^^.
Advert
Old 06-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard

> Did you at one point delete the "mkk" and "rp" folder from the userstore?
Not knowingly, but the timestamps of the folders (coincidentally in my first post) are Feb this year and Jul 2016, which was the date I applied the original jailbreak so possibly something updated one?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Hmm. Potentially a tiny bit weird, but!

I just caught a bug in the bridge install (not the hotfix) that was preventing it to update the dispatch script properly.

And, interestingly enough, older dispatch scripts can't deal with the current MRPI version properly.

So, maybe not so mysterious after all .

EDIT: Yeah, after double-checking some stuff, if you'd never installed a hotfix and/or depending on the age of the hotfix, you'd potentially be either missing the dispatch script, or be stuck with an old one that doesn't actually launch current MRPI versions.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-02-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard

Thanks for digging, that would certainly fit as I'm pretty sure I've not previously installed a hotfix. At least that's explained, I know when it happens to me, that it bugs me if I can't explain why a particular piece of my software appears to be doing something odd!