Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Question Re-importing updated books into Calibre. How do you do it? Do you do it?

Do you re-import updated books into Calibre? Or do you just import them once and that is it?

I note that Amazon does update the content of the books occasionally, or authors may do a review/rewrite of a book and Apple iBooks is crazy with its updates. The covers can update quite frequently but I find Calibre is good at finding various covers and updates so no problem there.

If you do re-import updated books, for content purposes, what sort of problems do you run into? Some thoughts below..
  • You have changed the title of the book so Calibre doesn’t find that you have two version. You can use the find duplicates plugin.
  • Metadata does not match or different
  • Cover is different and you prefer to keep the current cover
  • Do you import another version and edit the new one and delete the older version? But if you do that, it is a lot of work doing the metadata again?
  • What do you do when the book content changes but the metadata is the same? Can you transfer the metadata from the old version to the new and then delete the old?

Any other issues with re-importing updated books into Calibre? Or the best way of doing so?

Thanks,

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I prefer:
Open the Metadata Editor (on the title to be updated ): Then drag n drop the UPDATED book into the FORMATS: OK

That's it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Inukami - I import into an "Intake" library, where I do adjustments to metadata - e.g. move subtitles into a custom column, remove and add tags, set custom columns, etc, and then use the Find Library Duplicate feature of the Find Duplications plugin to help identify duplicates between the "Intake" and "Target" libraries. Non-duplicate books are moved to a "Target" library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
[*]You have changed the title of the book so Calibre doesn’t find that you have two version. You can use the find duplicates plugin.
I do my standard adjustments (strip subtitles, apply AP Title style rules) before I get to running FD->FLD, so "Fuzzy" matching will usually find them.

Quote:
[*]Metadata does not match or different
If the changed metadata changes were relevant to me then I would manually change what I have

Quote:
[*]Cover is different and you prefer to keep the current cover
I would keep the original, if I wanted to keep the 'new' cover I would put it in a multi-image TIFF (creating it, if needs be) which I would keep in book folder as a 'format' file.

Quote:
[*]Do you import another version and edit the new one and delete the older version? But if you do that, it is a lot of work doing the metadata again?
I never delete the original, see previous answers regarding metadata and cover, and the following answer regarding the format files

Quote:
[*]What do you do when the book content changes but the metadata is the same? Can you transfer the metadata from the old version to the new and then delete the old?
If I wanted to replace the existing content, I would first copy the book from the "Target" library to an "Archive" library, and then make an entry to that effect in the book's Notes custom column, and then I would drag-drop the new content file into Book Details panel of the book in the "Target" library.

If I wanted to keep the existing content, but not throw away the new content, I would do the same except I would drag-drop the new content file into Book Details panel of the book in the "Archive" library.

On most occasions I simply replace the existing content with the new content by dragging it into the book's Detail panel (left right sidebar).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-29-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: correction in red
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On most occasions I simply replace the existing content with the new content by dragging it into the book's Detail panel (left sidebar).

except my book details panel is on the right side.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
except my book details panel is on the right side.
- I never did get this difference between right and left, and my Book Details panel is normally at the bottom edge

BR
Advert
Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
- I never did get this difference between right and left, and my Book Details panel is normally at the bottom edge

BR
My Book Details panel is also on the right. Didn't realise you can have it on the right or left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I prefer:
Open the Metadata Editor (on the title to be updated ): Then drag n drop the UPDATED book into the FORMATS: OK

That's it
Quote:
@Inukami

On most occasions I simply replace the existing content with the new content by dragging it into the book's Detail panel (left sidebar).

BR
Thanks for that. It seem relatively simply and easy to update the content of a book. Just to clarify, this only works if the book titles are the same?

Quote:
@Inukami

If I wanted to replace the existing content, I would first copy the book from the "Target" library to an "Archive" library, and then make an entry to that effect in the book's Notes custom column, and then I would drag-drop the new content file into Book Details panel of the book in the "Target" library.

If I wanted to keep the existing content, but not throw away the new content, I would do the same except I would drag-drop the new content file into Book Details panel of the book in the "Archive" library.

BR
I like the way of managing the books into different libraries before making it final. Are the different libraries in the same instance or do you have them in different instances do you can see them side by side?

Does that mean you also have a massive "Archive" library as well as your "Target" Main/Normal library?

Inukami
Old 05-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
My Book Details panel is also on the right. Didn't realise you can have it on the right or left.
You can't, that was a mistake (since corrected)

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for that. It seem relatively simply and easy to update the content of a book. Just to clarify, this only works if the book titles are the same?
No, when you drag-'n-drop a file into the book details panel any metadata within the file and its file name are irrelevant. If a file of the same type already exists for the book then it will be replaced by the file dropped into Book Details, otherwise the file dropped will be added to the book. Similarly with covers, if you drag the file "FreddyFrog.png" into Book Details, you end up with that image in a "cover.jpg" file.

Quote:

Quote:
I like the way of managing the books into different libraries before making it final. Are the different libraries in the same instance or do you have them in different instances do you can see them side by side?
They are different physical libraries.

The major benefits result from importing books into a separate "Intake" library and getting the metadata correct before moving them to the "Target" library. Bit like preparing a meal in the kitchen and taking it to the dining room. The "Archive" library is an embellishment.

Calibre does not support concurrent use of multiple libraries, or multiple instances of calibre, so you can't look at two libraries side-by-side. I work around this to some degree by running multiple version 2 content server instances against my "Target" libraries, version 2 content-server has no update capability so it's pretty safe.

Quote:
Does that mean you also have a massive "Archive" library as well as your "Target" Main/Normal library?
No, because, a) I only move books there occasionally and b) I don't leave books in "Archive" for very long.

After putting a book in "Archive" then at some later time (days/weeks) I will review the content and decide whether I want to keep what I put there in addition to what's in the "Target" library. I should rename that library to something like "Abeyance", "Parking Lot", or "For Review".

BR
Old 06-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:

Calibre does not support concurrent use of multiple libraries, or multiple instances of calibre, so you can't look at two libraries side-by-side. I work around this to some degree by running multiple version 2 content server instances against my "Target" libraries, version 2 content-server has no update capability so it's pretty safe.

BR
Thanks for your detailed responses.

I thought you could have multiple instances if the versions are different?

By the way, I note you are in Sydney, you wouldn't be interested in meeting up sometime when I'm next in Sydney to talk about Calibre? Not sure if there are any others in Sydney as well who would be interested...

Inukami
Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't update books once I've read them. Unless it's a whispersync title or rare book where DRM can't be removed, I delete book from my Amazon cloud after reading. If I haven't read it yet, I update, download, import with DRM, save the preferred cover and delete the old one.

Quote:
What do you do when the book content changes but the metadata is the same? Can you transfer the metadata from the old version to the new and then delete the old?
Why wouldn't the metadata remain the same? An UPDATE is supposed to fix grammar and typos, not change the content.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Why wouldn't the metadata remain the same? An UPDATE is supposed to fix grammar and typos, not change the content.
Sometimes the metadata can also change. For example, the publisher changes, the title changes or year published if updated version (unless you count that as a different copy?).

Inukami
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #11
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question

Quote:
@Inukami
On most occasions I simply replace the existing content with the new content by dragging it into the book's Detail panel (left right sidebar).
BR
Hello, BR:

I must be confused! Here's what I understand you to mean:

1. First, in Calibre, I click on the book that has been updated; it brings up information about the book (is that the "Detail Panel"?) such as the cover, book details, and the description of the book, all to the right of the library listings.
2. In Windows 10, I click on the updated book file in explorer, for example z.azw3, and "carry" it over to the "Detail Panel", as above, and attempt to drop it.
3. When I attempt to drop it, I get the prohibited sign and cannot do it.

So, I would appreciate any clarification you could make.

Thanks in advance.

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Hello, BR:

I must be confused! Here's what I understand you to mean:

1. First, in Calibre, I click on the book that has been updated; it brings up information about the book (is that the "Detail Panel"?) such as the cover, book details, and the description of the book, all to the right of the library listings.
2. In Windows 10, I click on the updated book file in explorer, for example z.azw3, and "carry" it over to the "Detail Panel", as above, and attempt to drop it.
3. When I attempt to drop it, I get the prohibited sign and cannot do it.

So, I would appreciate any clarification you could make.

Thanks in advance.

Sparky
Works for me -

When i drag a file from File Explorer to Book Details with left button down, I see

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	165531

When I drop it I get this pop-up

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	165532

I don't think there are any special settings in calibre or File Explorer to make it happen. What version of calibre are you using?

BR
Old 08-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Hello, again, BR:

That's exactly what I was describing. When I do that I get a black circle with a diagonal line through!

Calibre version 3.29 Portable.

I am lost!! :>((

Sparky
Old 08-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Drag and drop typically does not work on windows if you run calibre as a different user such as the administrator. In any case you can always update files ina book record by selecting the book then right lcicking the add books button and choosing "Add files to selected book records"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

That worked - because the format was .azw3, I then converted it to epub. That resulted in an epub file and an original_epub file. Very clever!!

Thanks, Kovid.

Tags
amazon, books, calibre, re-import, update