Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
navyo
navyo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Using Roman Numerals in Chapter Titles

Hi there, this is my first post, so excuse any newbie mistakes.

I have created in ePub using iBooks Author.

Four of the chapter titles are: Day I, Day II, Day III, Day IV. Except the CSS uses Title Case and the roman numerals come out I, Ii, Iii, Iv.

How can I use the Calibre Editor to change these particular titles so the roman numerals are all upper case? The other titles in the book need to remain Title Case.

And if these Chapter Titles are changed in this way, will that affect the TOC?

Thanks in advance.
navyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
So you only have these four chapter titles to change? Why don't you just open your book in the editor and change the four characters that need to be changed? Manually, using the keyboard. Delete the lowercase letters and replace them with uppercase letters. No special magic needed.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Wrap the numbers in a span that has an explit style set to turn off the title casing, like this

Chapter <span style="text-transform: none">II</span>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #4
navyo

Thanks doubleshuffle. I just tried that expecting the result, but it reverted back to title case when I viewed in Calibre viewer, iBooks and in Kindle in Mobi format.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Oh, I had overlooked the part where you said that the CSS specifies title case for headings. Then you will have to do what Kovid says.

EDIT: Question to the experts: Is there a valid reason for defining a case for headings??

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 06-30-2016 at 06:16 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
navyo

Thanks Kovid! That worked. Great program.
One more question: How do I get the thumbnail cover to appear in my Kindle App?

Tags
chapter titles, css, epub, roman numerals