Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
AntonGolubev
AntonGolubev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, PocketBook
Force calibre portable to sync database without closing the program?

Dear calibre users,

I keep my library in the cloud store (OneDrive) and use calibre-portable to access my library from any PC. However, calibre syncs its database (flushes changes) to disk only, when it is get closed (at least that what I observe). So, I routinely loose my changes in the database, if I keep the program open on one PC (e.g. over night) and add something or edit on another PC, and then close calibre on the first one.

Sequence:
1. Open calibre on PC1. Add a book. Keep the program running.
2. Open same calibre library on another PC and add some books. 2 PC does not see the changes of the PC1. Close calibre.
3. Get back to PC1 and re-open calibre: changes from PC1 are gone.

It is not the sync issue of the cloud file storage (e.g. OneDrive). Calibre either do not flush writes or not closes the file after modifying the database.

Does anybody know how to work around this? I still want to be able to keep a single calibre library, which I would like to manage from all my devices.

Is is possible to force calibre to save its catalog (metadata), without closing the program?

I am using the latest version of calibre portable on latest Windows 10.

Kind regards,
Anton Golubev
AntonGolubev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre most definitely writes changes to the database after every operation. And do not use dropbox and calibre at the same time, you **will** lose data. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
AntonGolubev

Hi Kovid,

Thank you for replying and the link! I see the point, but I possible the things can be improved with little effort.

Is it possible to force running Calibre to re-load the database from the filesystem, forgetting his state? E.g. if I forgot to close it on one PC, to make it not overwrite the changes, which another instance already introduces to the disk?

Kind regards,
Anton Golubev
Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonGolubev View Post
Hi Kovid,

Thank you for replying and the link! I see the point, but I possible the things can be improved with little effort.

Is it possible to force running Calibre to re-load the database from the filesystem, forgetting his state? E.g. if I forgot to close it on one PC, to make it not overwrite the changes, which another instance already introduces to the disk?

Kind regards,
Anton Golubev
i think you will find that the problem is on the syncing software in that it does not do the sync until Calibre is shutdown and closes the database! This means that if you start another Calibre instance on a different machine it does not know about the changes made on the still running instance so the two instances end up trampling on each other’s changes.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, you simply cannot have two unrelated programs writing to the databse file at the same time. THere is no way that can be made robust.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:02 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonGolubev View Post
Hi Kovid,

Kind regards,
Anton Golubev
I don't think anything that Kovid could do would help you when your file sync software will not update the database on the cloud when the file is still open. To quote from the OneDrive for Business restrictions and limitations:

Quote:
Open files can't be synced
A file that’s currently opened by an application can't be synced by OneDrive for Business. To sync the file, close any application where the file is currently being used, and then sync the file.
I tested this behaviour with OneDrive (not for Business) and the same behaviour -- open files were not synced. -- was observed.

I suppose Kovid could reverse engineer the way that Microsoft Office 365/Office 1016 allows some multi-user access to files on OneDrive for Business but I think that would be an incredible waste of his time and talent.

Since you are using calibre portable, I would suggest instead that you use a large enough USB drive to store your calibre library and related files. Sneakernet so to speak.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
AntonGolubev

Hi David,

Thank you for confirming the behavior and your research. Here is exactly my point: let Calibre close his database. Then OneDrive will pick-up changes from the cloud. Calibre then can reload the database. You can see it like a "forget & refresh" button in the GUI. These are all existing functions of Calibre - open, write state, close DB, so there is no much new code to write. And nobody speaking on reversing the OneDrive code. Cloud syncs in this aspect behave all the same - file open for write -> no sync.

Cloud people like me will be happy.

That's the whole point of cloud vs carrying the USB stick - you always have all your data with you (and safe).

Kind regards,
Anton

Tags
calibre, cloud, onedrive, portable, sync