Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Vespa
Vespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
George R.R. Martin -'ASOIAF' series, fantasy for grown-ups

I'm re-reading the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series in anticipation of the HBO series coming up in the future. I would have re-read them anyway due to the sometimes complex family trees going on and all the tidbits early on that create big waves in the later books.

I'm over halfway done with the first book, 'A Game Of Thrones'. Anybody else read this series? If so, what did you think?
Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I love this series. I just wish we'd get the next book sometime soon I begin to wonder if it will be finished.

If you like this you might also consider Steven Erikson's Malazan series (also the Malazan books by Ian Cameron Esslemont).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-14-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added Malazan info.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Great series, certainly one of the top SFF stories in several years in my opinion. I love the fact that there is no sentimentality as far as its designated heroes are concerned, since they die off like flies. Like you say; fantasy for grown-ups.

The considerable downside to it, however, is that Martin may never finish it, having contracted a severe case of writer's block.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Vespa
Vespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Great series, certainly one of the top SFF stories in several years in my opinion. I love the fact that there is no sentimentality as far as its designated heroes are concerned, since they die off like flies. Like you say; fantasy for grown-ups.

The considerable downside to it, however, is that Martin may never finish it, having contracted a severe case of writer's block.
Ya lots of fans down on him about the slow time to the next book. Maybe its his health. I mean, the guy obviously doesn't jog every day and probably doesn't mind his veggie intake. What's with his obsession with 'suckling pig'? Tyrion's favorite snack?

I do love the guy's writing. I remember reading A Song For Lya a very long time ago and didn't realize it was him until I read the Dreamsongs books.

My best guess is that he's tackling the last three books all at once. I assume he'll retire at some point, esp. if the HBO series goes well ($$$). I can't even imagine the outlines he builds for these books before he even writes. I picture a room dedicated in his house just for Westeros family trees written over every wall with small notes next to characters he will include or reference. I cut him some serious slack.

Last edited by Vespa; 06-14-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I decided in 1999 when 2 books were out that I would wait until he finished the series before I started reading them. I didn't realize I would have to wait this long.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I love that series, just re-read it a few months ago. I hope he finishes the next book sometime soon.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I begin to wonder if it will be finished.
This stops me to even start the series in the first place.

P.S. don't think it has anything to do with his health. He spends enormous amount of his time on other projects. That's what really pisses of his fans.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
P.S. don't think it has anything to do with his health. He spends enormous amount of his time on other projects. That's what really pisses of his fans.
He does seem to travel and work on other things a lot. I can't really say why 'A Dance With Dragons' still isn't out, but I probably won't read any more of the series until/if/when it's done.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
I loved the series.

Early spoiler of Game of Thrones (you know about it if you are over half-way):
Spoiler:
When Bran was shoved off the tower by Jaime Lannister, my mind was blown. It was then I realized that Martin wasn't kidding around and I might actually see some interesting and non-cliched developments in the book.

The fourth book kinda drags on and a lot of my favorite characters were not in it, but Dance with Dragons will fix this since it'll be the same events and timeline but from the perspective of the others.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Thank you for convincing me to wait to read it. I've already gone through a similar reading/waiting experience with the Wheel of Time, and have no desire to repeat it. (Hopefully Martin will have wonderful health, unlike Robert Jordan)
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
I also gave Wheel of Time a read.

I got to book 4 and I just couldn't handle it anymore. A Song of Ice and Fire is much, much better. The characters actually meant something to me and the story was going places.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even if he never finishes the story, what there is of it so far is so rich and delicious that it's worth reading (and re-reading). Sure, I'd like resolution, but how often in life do we really ever get that?
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Sure, I'd like resolution, but how often in life do we really ever get that?
Often enough to keep me busy reading finished series and not waste time on whims of writers who start something then loose interest.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Sure, I'd like resolution, but how often in life do we really ever get that?
Almost always, I'd say. If that's not the case for you, then perhaps you're doing something wrong...?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Almost always, I'd say. If that's not the case for you, then perhaps you're doing something wrong...?
Guess I fail at life, but I've found that things don't always get finished and conflicts we have with others don't always get resolved before someone dies. I could piss and moan about how unfair it all is, but I'd rather appreciate what I actually have, in this case a half-finished but excellent series of books.

One more thought: I'd rather have no ending, than one that sucks see Battlestar Galactica
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote