Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy PRS-505 Broken

I just tried to read a book, on my PRS-505, during my lunch hour, and discover the screen was acting funky. Kind of like an old CRT monitor with a permanent burn in.

The screen is not broken or damaged. It might be the controller. 5 months old. I hope it's still under warranty.

It's just bad enough to obsure the top 2-3 lines of each page.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00212.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	30613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00213.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	30614  
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
In this thread someone else talked about a problem with their screen. They got it fixed under warranty - I think had to pay $29 but it did get sorted so definitely worth contacting sony.

Good luck getting it sorted out!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

PS - is that Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! you're reading? Great book
Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
PS - is that Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! you're reading? Great book
Yep. Nice catch!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Angst
Cannon Fodder

Hey! I was trying to read an Adobe Digital Editions book on my reader while working around the "dead zone". When changed the orentation, not only could I read my book fine, (the "dead zone" is now in the margin), the base font was larger. I could read the book in the smallest print and not lose the formating like when I use enlarged print.

Basically, Adobe Digital Editions rocks when you read in horizontal orientation.

There's a silver lining to everything!
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Angst
Cannon Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
In this thread someone else talked about a problem with their screen. They got it fixed under warranty - I think had to pay $29 but it did get sorted so definitely worth contacting sony.

Good luck getting it sorted out!
Thanks for the link. I contacted Sony Support, and they are sending me a new (refurbished) reader. The cost is only $29. And, they are sending me the reader WITHOUT requiring me to send in my reader first. This means I can still read, (although with limitations), while I await my new reader.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
ruth1304
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Thanks for the link. I contacted Sony Support, and they are sending me a new (refurbished) reader. The cost is only $29. And, they are sending me the reader WITHOUT requiring me to send in my reader first. This means I can still read, (although with limitations), while I await my new reader.
So glad you got it sorted out. I would be lost without my sony although I've only had it a few weeks. I'm impressed by sony too.

Great news
Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Angst
Cannon Fodder

Just received my new reader by UPS! All my books have be transferred to the new reader.

Time line
6-11 - reader broken.
6-11 - contacted sony customer service (online).
6-12 - faxed reader invoice to sony.
6-15 - received new reader.
6-16 - sent old reader back to sony.

Total Cost: $29

Four days from when the reader broke to when I was reading on a new reader. And they shipped me the new reader without waiting for the old reader.

Very good customer service from Sony!!!!

Last edited by Angst; 06-16-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
legolas2069
legolas2069 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Just received my new reader by UPS! All my books have be transferred to the new reader.

Time line
6-11 - reader broken.
6-11 - contacted sony customer service (online).
6-12 - faxed reader invoice to sony.
6-15 - received new reader.
6-16 - sent old reader back to sony.

Total Cost: $29

Four days from when the reader broke to when I was reading on a new reader. And they shipped me the new reader without waiting for the old reader.

Very good customer service from Sony!!!!

Can you tell me what have you write to them? what is the sony customer service page?

thanks
legolas2069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
ajborley
ajborley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Many, many thanks for this thread!

I switched on my wife's 505 two weeks ago and found the following:

We were absolutely gutted - I thought I had knocked it and bust it in some way - until I did a search on MobileRead & found this thread with exactly the same issue! 2 weeks later it's back from Sony UK, completely fixed up (with a replacement screen) and it didn't cost us a penny! Even the postage was free! Big, big kudos to Sony and MobileRead!

We're very happy readers again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002-1.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	35671  
ajborley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
LilMissMarie
LilMissMarie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (red)
this is what my reader looks like today when i turned it on this evening. ive onyl had it two weeks. im really upset as i cant find it anywhere, and its red. walmart only had silver left. i dont want to pay (or recieve a refurbished unit) when mine is new.....guess i will be getting a refund and wait to see how the nook is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajborley View Post
Many, many thanks for this thread!

I switched on my wife's 505 two weeks ago and found the following:

We were absolutely gutted - I thought I had knocked it and bust it in some way - until I did a search on MobileRead & found this thread with exactly the same issue! 2 weeks later it's back from Sony UK, completely fixed up (with a replacement screen) and it didn't cost us a penny! Even the postage was free! Big, big kudos to Sony and MobileRead!

We're very happy readers again!
LilMissMarie is offline   Reply With Quote