Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
<pre> doesn't actually work properly. With RMDSK (ADE), if the <pre> goes off the screen, you don't see it. I don't know if this bug has been fixed or not, but it does exist in older versions and a lot of Readers or apps are using older versions. So using <pre> is out.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
<pre> doesn't actually work properly. With RMDSK (ADE), if the <pre> goes off the screen, you don't see it. I don't know if this bug has been fixed or not, but it does exist in older versions and a lot of Readers or apps are using older versions. So using <pre> is out.
This is definitely true...if you are in a position to care about people using old/outdated devices. You mentioned it was a very small distribution didn't you? So, tell them to upgrade their device, or put a minimum version number to view the document in all it's formatted glory.

My philosophy: Users will upgrade their devices when they can't adequately read content on them. If they don't mind the pitfalls of older software, then they probably won't care if your poetry isn't formatted exactly so... Publish your book using the most common standards out there and don't worry about the outliers - or bugs in older software.

Last edited by Turtle91; 08-01-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
My philosophy: Users will upgrade their devices when they can't adequately ...
Mine too: - "Unless it's someone else's money that's being spent, things don't change until the cost of doing the same exceeds the cost of doing the change.'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I bought a book and I found it did not work on say a Sony Reader PRS-T1, I would blame the book before i'd think of the T1's software being out of date.

That's the way most people will think when a book doesn't work properly with their app/device.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If I bought a book and I found it did not work on say a Sony Reader PRS-T1, I would blame the book before i'd think of the T1's software being out of date.

That's the way most people will think when a book doesn't work properly with their app/device.
Fair enough, but where do you draw the line, Jon? At what point do you decide not to include a useful formatting feature in your book because it won't look right to a handful of users of older devices? To my mind, if it looks right to the majority of users, it's fine to use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Fair enough, but where do you draw the line, Jon? At what point do you decide not to include a useful formatting feature in your book because it won't look right to a handful of users of older devices? To my mind, if it looks right to the majority of users, it's fine to use it.
Tell that to Amazon. Their still supporting Mobi and your eBooks have to deal with it. So what happens is because of those making the eBooks don't know much (or anything) about the media selectors, the KF8 version suffers because features that could have been used to make the eBook formatting better aren't being used.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tell that to Amazon. Their still supporting Mobi and your eBooks have to deal with it. So what happens is because of those making the eBooks don't know much (or anything) about the media selectors, the KF8 version suffers because features that could have been used to make the eBook formatting better aren't being used.
Amazon provide the capability for those features to be used, though, Jon. Whether or not book creators choose to take advantage of features such as media selectors is outside Amazon's control.

You seem to be suggesting precisely the opposite: that book creators should avoid using advanced formatting features for fear that the resulting books won't look good on a minority of devices.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Amazon provide the capability for those features to be used, though, Jon. Whether or not book creators choose to take advantage of features such as media selectors is outside Amazon's control.

You seem to be suggesting precisely the opposite: that book creators should avoid using advanced formatting features for fear that the resulting books won't look good on a minority of devices.
No, I'm disagreeing with the comment that said that people would upgrade the device if they had some books that didn't work properly. I think most people would blame to books before blaming the device.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
No, I'm disagreeing with the comment that said that people would upgrade the device if they had some books that didn't work properly. I think most people would blame to books before blaming the device.
Also there is the point that they cannot upgrade the firmware in the device. Most older eBook readers are no longer supported with upgrades.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Also there is the point that they cannot upgrade the firmware in the device. Most older eBook readers are no longer supported with upgrades.

Dale
Which brings me back to the question I asked Jon: should a book creator avoid advanced formatting features on the grounds that they won't work on a minority of older devices?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Which brings me back to the question I asked Jon: should a book creator avoid advanced formatting features on the grounds that they won't work on a minority of older devices?
Thing is, do we know how many are in that minority? I think there are more than we know of. But I do agree that eventually we have to move on.

But, if it's something that doesn't need to be there like say dropcaps, then that can be done without. It depends on what features and how needed they are.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I would say it would depend on the book and the target audience, as well as what happens. If the book looks ok on the older devices even though not perfect then it is likely fine. Fall backs are often adequate. Reviews and complaints can really hurt book sales.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote