Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
Onyx Boox i62HD, i62HD Firefly or just wait?

Hi all,

I am planning to buy an e-Reader (my first one), and I need some advice. My first idea was a Kindle, but after some research I have fallen in love with the Onyx Boox. Wow!!! For me its main pros are the multiple format support (specially the pdf handling) and the active software development, which seems to take into account user's comments.

However, I don't know if I should get the i62HD, the i62HD Firefly or even wait for a new version (it seems that they are working in a new one):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Currently there is no plans for new big screen devices by Onyx. Just for 6" devices only (i62 shell with RK2818 CPU@600Mhz and new design with RK2906 CPU @ 1Ghz).
So, what do you think? Does the Firefly really deserve the extra 40€, or would it be enough with the i62HD and a LED lamp in the cover? And what about the new 6'' device? Do you know more or less when will it be available? Should I wait a little bit more?
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
I'm in the same position as you are Ayla...
Should I buy the i62HD now, or should I wait for some reviews on the firefly before deciding? But at ereader-store.de the i62HD is sold at a 'Reduced price just for a short time', which can mean three things:
a) in a few weeks the price will go up once again, and there won't be much price difference between the 'regular' i62HD and the FireFly (which seems unlikely), and in that case the waiting has cost me money (if I decide for the regular i62HD)
b) the price is reduced now and will stay at the same reduced level once the FireFly is there.
c) the i62HD is almost out of stock, and the remainder is sold at a reduced price. And once the FireFly is there, it won't be sold anymore.

If c) is the case, and I want a 'regular' one, I shouldn't wait to decide...

Still, the FireFly is tempting... But I read somewhere, that although the illuminated eInk devices are frontlit, they still are more straining for the eyes, because the light still comes in your eyes... I don't know what to think about that... After all, we SEE because light comes into our eyes, even if the light is reflected on paper/eInk/whatever.

If I were you, I should just decide for the i62HD or the FireFly... Of course, you can wait for yet another version, but there will always been something to wait for, and whatever you buy, there will be something 'newer' soon...
(On the other hand, I completely understand the hesitation: some people seem to buy eReaders like someone else buys bread, but I'm one of the kind that tries to use a device for several years... And then it's important to be (almost) completely satisfied.

Not much of a help I fear... Just some musings...
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
your name, ayla, is taken from earth's children's, the novel?
for me the real question is, do you really need a lamp to read? Isn't easyer to use a real lamp when you read?
sometimes at night when I read I need some more light, but I am at home.
However, if you can, you should wait for plastic screens, if they will be ever availeble

bye!
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
Thank you both for your answers.

I've seen that today the price of the i62HD has already increased Anyway, I think I'll finally go for this option instead of the Firefly. I has very good reviews, and I'm not sure if I really need a light... I just hope the prices don't raise again!

And Inemi, yes, my nick is from earth's children's. Love those books
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
I'm reading the 2nd book in these days that I am sick
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
firefly, i62hd