Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
DevonSnow
DevonSnow began at the beginning.

Device: none
News from Bookeen

Here it is.

http://www.facebook.com/Bookeen#!/no...53389644682768

Pre-order from the 25th of September, availability from mid-October.
€230
7,6 mm thickness

Let's see if Sipix is readable or not.

Last edited by Jellby; 09-18-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added the prefix
DevonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Ouch. €229 --> $298US with today's exchange.

That puts it head to head with the Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-950), which has the Pearl screen and 3G. I was hoping the Orizon would come out a little lower - somewhere between the 650 and the 950 seems fair.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I bought the Gen3 at 350 €, if I remember correctly, so it does not look too expensive to me

I'm particular interested in: "Annotation, note taking, and highlighting functions", or, as the Bookeen website says: "add highlights, bookmarks, notes..." I hope those features are backported to the older readers, though I guess they are probably tied to the touchscreen. I also hope the touchscreen can be disabled.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post

That puts it head to head with the Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-950), which has the Pearl screen and 3G. I was hoping the Orizon would come out a little lower - somewhere between the 650 and the 950 seems fair.
These are European prices = VAT included

Sony PRS-650 is €229 in Europe (but €249 in Italy!)

They are overpriced, anyway.

In the beginning we were told that SiPix screens were inferior to eInk's Vizplez, but cheaper. Now they have to measure themselves against Pearl, and they are not cheaper at all!
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
In the beginning we were told that SiPix screens were inferior to eInk's Vizplez,
Nope. Really, it's more contrasted than Vizplez. Though the background is "blacker".
Then, against pearl that's an other mater.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
DevonSnow
DevonSnow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
These are European prices = VAT included

Sony PRS-650 is €229 in Europe (but €249 in Italy!)

They are overpriced, anyway.

In the beginning we were told that SiPix screens were inferior to eInk's Vizplez, but cheaper. Now they have to measure themselves against Pearl, and they are not cheaper at all!
Picture quality, refresh time and overall contrast are all to be tested for the first time on a Sipix screen.

As for Bookeen being a French company, for me it is an added value in my decision.

Hi Geppetto : )
See you on Simplicissimus Forum.
DevonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Remember that the US and European market prices on Bookeen's devices are adjusted to what the market can bear. Typically, the figures are the same and the currency changes! For instance, the Cybook Opus is sold for 199 € in Europe and 199.00 USD on the other side of the Atlantic:
http://www.bookeen.com/store/usa/cybook/opus.html
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
Sipix screens are glass based or plastic? If it is plastic, it would be better than current glass based Vizplex readers.
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
It's glass i think.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
No one knows for sure. I've only heard a lot of rumors and speculations like this one but no one from SiPix or the E-Reader manufacturers definitely said if it's glass or plastic. I'm still waiting until more devices are on the market and someone clears the suspicions.

If it should emerge that SiPix screens are based on glass too than I will delay my purchase until E-Ink finally releases its plastic screens next summer.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
229 euro= 1900 SEK. * happy dance* That's not too bad. Not considering that Opus cost 250 euro in Sweden. *cough*
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
Remember that the US and European market prices on Bookeen's devices are adjusted to what the market can bear. Typically, the figures are the same and the currency changes! For instance, the Cybook Opus is sold for 199 € in Europe and 199.00 USD on the other side of the Atlantic:
http://www.bookeen.com/store/usa/cybook/opus.html
And, of course, the European price include 19.6% French VAT, while the US price does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And, of course, the European price include 19.6% French VAT, while the US price does not.
Well, assuming that they price it at $229US, that puts it head to had against the Sony Touch PRS-650 which is a fairer match - ePub readers with Pearl vs WiFi. I'll be very interested in videos showing the dictionary and note-taking.

Sadly, they'll be fighting over a niche audience with Nook and Kindle grabbing the mainstream.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
edge71
Enthusiast
edge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshesedge71 can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Inkpad3
In a mail to support@bookeen.com they give me this response about firmwares and dictionaries:

Thank you for your interest in our new product.

The Cybook Orizon also has the folder view option.

This Cybook will be natively compatible with EPUB and it will not be possible to have two firmwares. The PRC format is currently not compatible with the device.

There is no embedded dictionary. We are however aware that this feature is very important so we plan to include it.

I have a Cybook Gen 3 with prc/mobi firmware, all mi files are in prc format, I like this firmware: folders view, the covers of books, dictionary lookups,.... In the new Orizon i haven't this.

I think i purchase the new PocketBook 603.

Regards
edge71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge71 View Post
I have a Cybook Gen 3 with prc/mobi firmware, all mi files are in prc format, I like this firmware: folders view, the covers of books, dictionary lookups,.... In the new Orizon i haven't this.

I think i purchase the new PocketBook 603.

Regards
I really can't understand you: why Pocketbook instead of a Kindle?

Last edited by Geppetto; 09-24-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote