Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
confusednow
confusednow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Disabling the swipe

Hi guys. I got a question, probably some might find it strange. Whenever I read, I enjoy using my finger to track the words. Its not one of those speed reading things, just a habit I have since young.

I tried out the PRS600/650 and found that on occasions when I do the finger tracking, it turns the pages. I know the swipe function is one of the strengths of the Sony Touch readers, but is there a way to disable it?
confusednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Having the same problem i found no way to disable it on the PRS-900.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
No, this is not possible. For cleaning purposes, you can always put it into sleep mode, but obviously that will not work for actual reading.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Could try setting swipe to go from right to left... at least it should stop an inadvertant swipe as you track words from left to right

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusednow View Post
Hi guys. I got a question, probably some might find it strange. Whenever I read, I enjoy using my finger to track the words. Its not one of those speed reading things, just a habit I have since young.

I tried out the PRS600/650 and found that on occasions when I do the finger tracking, it turns the pages. I know the swipe function is one of the strengths of the Sony Touch readers, but is there a way to disable it?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Could try setting swipe to go from right to left... at least it should stop an inadvertant swipe as you track words from left to right
But then the you'd just turn back a page instead of forward, surely? I don't see how that helps
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Too bad there is not an option to set it to vertical swipes. That might actually help.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

The first day I had my 350 I kept accidentally turning pages by trying to brush a speck of dust or a cat hair off the screen. The touchscreen is eally sensitive. Now I've learned to blow the dust off the screen or put it into sleep mode to clean it off. It would be nice to be able to toggle it on and off, but it is not hat big a deal to me. I find it is more comfortable to hold and swipe with one hand than to hold and press the page button with one hand.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
confusednow
confusednow began at the beginning.

Device: none
I gave the 650 a go at my local W today, and have to say the finger tracking is not an issue at all! It didn't registers that as a page swipe, unlike the 600.
confusednow is offline   Reply With Quote