Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Funny you should mention David Weber.
The new Honor Harrington is due out October 2, 2018 and the new Safehold is due out January 8, 2018.
Apache
But it’s been awhile. And there are like 4 Honor Harrington Series now that are each over due for a new book
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #17
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
But of course at the end of the day we need to remember that authors are people with their own lives subject to all the dramas thereof. Sometimes writers may seem like machines, churning out books year after year. But of course that can't go on forever. This point was brought to my attention yet again recently. One of my more recent favourite authors, Christopher Nuttall, is currently in hospital fighting aggressive lymphoma. Chris writes multiple series in Science Fiction and fantasy and his output is prolific. He writes and publishes approximately one book a month. In addition he does blog posts and maintains a presence on various social media platforms. His readers have of course become somewhat used to this, and his current illness has been somewhat of a shock. We all of course hope for his quick recovery, and also of course hope for his quick return to his work. But like all of us, health should take priority. We value his work but we all have other things to read.

I often wonder to what extent stress plays a role in these illnesses, more so the older we get. I worked in a stressful profession, and it was not uncommon to hear of professional colleagues contracting serious illnesses or dying. As the years went on my partner in the business and myself would often wonder what role intense and constant stress had played. We would often remind each other when stressed out over a client's affairs that the client would find a replacement within days if anything was to happen to us.

We best enjoy what our favourite authors do write whilst we can. I find it very easy to imagine what started as a pleasurable vocation turning into a nightmare under the burden of deadlines and expectations.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2018, 05:15 AM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
But of course at the end of the day we need to remember that authors are people with their own lives subject to all the dramas thereof. Sometimes writers may seem like machines, churning out books year after year. But of course that can't go on forever. This point was brought to my attention yet again recently. One of my more recent favourite authors, Christopher Nuttall, is currently in hospital fighting aggressive lymphoma. Chris writes multiple series in Science Fiction and fantasy and his output is prolific. He writes and publishes approximately one book a month. In addition he does blog posts and maintains a presence on various social media platforms. His readers have of course become somewhat used to this, and his current illness has been somewhat of a shock. We all of course hope for his quick recovery, and also of course hope for his quick return to his work. But like all of us, health should take priority. We value his work but we all have other things to read.

I often wonder to what extent stress plays a role in these illnesses, more so the older we get. I worked in a stressful profession, and it was not uncommon to hear of professional colleagues contracting serious illnesses or dying. As the years went on my partner in the business and myself would often wonder what role intense and constant stress had played. We would often remind each other when stressed out over a client's affairs that the client would find a replacement within days if anything was to happen to us.

We best enjoy what our favourite authors do write whilst we can. I find it very easy to imagine what started as a pleasurable vocation turning into a nightmare under the burden of deadlines and expectations.

Dang, that's too bad about Nuttall. I have a few of his books. He's a lot like the old time pulp writers churning out story after story.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I can't name any off the top of my head, but I suspect Nuttall is one of quite a few Indie authors who treat writing as their business and are extremely professional. He uses cover artists, editors and who knows what else. A book a month is certainly a realistic goal for an Indie author. It wouldn't suit everyone, but it is a very good business model for people with the ability and temperament to pursue it. He obviously has worked out a good system for writing novels. Most of his works seem to be of a similar length, and he mainly writes well plotted series. Each novel in a series is usually complete in itself, though he does occasionally tell a story over two books, with the first ending on a cliff-hanger. This is unplanned and he generally strives to get the next book out very quickly. Each story, complete in itself, nevertheless forms part of a much grander series. Often a later book will throw light on events that took place in earlier books. Sometimes glimpses of the future give tantalising glimpses of what may happen in future books.

Whilst his output certainly stands comparison with old time pulp writers, the quality does not. His books, even his fantasy, explore very interesting ideas and themes, sometimes quite topical ones. I started reading his Science Fiction series which I enjoyed. Then I moved on to read one of his fantasy works, not without some trepidation. Somewhat to my surprise I found that I really enjoyed these works as well.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I too did not realize he was sick. I have enjoyed Nuttall's Science Fiction books and agree with you Darryl. I have not read any of his Fantasy but, will now give it a go. And as you said health is more important. I hope he recovers fully.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I can't name any off the top of my head, but I suspect Nuttall is one of quite a few Indie authors who treat writing as their business and are extremely professional. He uses cover artists, editors and who knows what else. A book a month is certainly a realistic goal for an Indie author. It wouldn't suit everyone, but it is a very good business model for people with the ability and temperament to pursue it. He obviously has worked out a good system for writing novels. Most of his works seem to be of a similar length, and he mainly writes well plotted series. Each novel in a series is usually complete in itself, though he does occasionally tell a story over two books, with the first ending on a cliff-hanger. This is unplanned and he generally strives to get the next book out very quickly. Each story, complete in itself, nevertheless forms part of a much grander series. Often a later book will throw light on events that took place in earlier books. Sometimes glimpses of the future give tantalising glimpses of what may happen in future books.

Whilst his output certainly stands comparison with old time pulp writers, the quality does not. His books, even his fantasy, explore very interesting ideas and themes, sometimes quite topical ones. I started reading his Science Fiction series which I enjoyed. Then I moved on to read one of his fantasy works, not without some trepidation. Somewhat to my surprise I found that I really enjoyed these works as well.
Some of the old pulp writers were actually good writers, Howard for example has stood up well and is still popular. I've read both Nuttall's SF and Fantasy.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote