Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #46
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
@tshering
Please, read my post #42 because I have edited it. Should I do the new instructions of #43?
If by "inverted" you mean that the screen is rotated, yes please do them, if you have still some time.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #47
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Good news! (I almost overlooked this message)

Yes, the number of books was the culprit, see the post of Baskerville above.
I supposed it!

Quote:
Sorry for the wrong code line.

I understand that by "inverted" you mean upside down. Only if this is the case, do the following.

After a fresh start of the device. (Nickel should not have been running, so that the rotation problem does not yet appear). Then
  • "kill KSM"
  • "set 1"
  • "set read value again"
  • "start plato as is"
If it works and you will return to KSM, the rotation problem might be back. Just "power off" for now.
Correct orientation again!

Two of two. We are in luck!
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #48
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
I supposed it!

Correct orientation again!

Two of two. We are in luck!
Thank you for experimenting. I think we have some nice results.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #49
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
Tshering,

I just also ran the added test with the appended line, and after i hit execute, it always comes back in the upper left corner. Tried 5 or 6 times repeatedly..Sames results as Boriar.

I hope this is good news

Just in case relevant, this is 1st gen H20, runnning latest Kobo firmware.
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #50
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post
Tshering,

I just also ran the added test with the appended line, and after i hit execute, it always comes back in the upper left corner. Tried 5 or 6 times repeatedly..Sames results as Boriar.

I hope this is good news

Just in case relevant, this is 1st gen H20, runnning latest Kobo firmware.
Thank you for testing and confirming the good result. For the moment, I assume that the same will work also with the other problematic models. I will prepare a test package tomorrow or the day after, before I upload the first update to KSM 09.

I thank also your wife for her patience.
Advert
Old 01-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #51
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Cool..

glad to be of assistance...

JF
Old 01-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #52
JFeole
Connoisseur

I thank also your wife for her patience.

Lol, I'll let her know...

JF

Last edited by JFeole; 01-21-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 AM   #53
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
I was interested to know what sets the correct framebuffer orientation in rcS.

And the answer is: pickel showpic. If the boot process runs normally, the first call to pickel showpic will occur in on-animator.sh.

So, one possible way of setting the correct framebuffer orientation is:
Code:
zcat /etc/images/"${PREFIX}"ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic 1
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #54
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
I was interested to know what sets the correct framebuffer orientation in rcS.

And the answer is: pickel showpic. If the boot process runs normally, the first call to pickel showpic will occur in on-animator.sh.

So, one possible way of setting the correct framebuffer orientation is:
Code:
zcat /etc/images/"${PREFIX}"ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic 1
What exactly do you mean by "correct" framebuffer orientation? When I call pickel showpic after boot on a Glo, the orientation is 0. This is also what KSM needs on this model. Nickel changes the orientation to 3, and Plato also needs 3.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #55
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
When I call pickel showpic after boot on a Glo, the orientation is 0.
What happens on the Glo HD with firmware 4.7.10413 is the following:
  • At the beginning of rcS, rotate is 0.
  • When the first call to pickel showpic returns, rotate is 3.

As you noted, the above doesn't apply to every model/firmware.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #56
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
What happens on the Glo HD with firmware 4.7.10413 is the following:
  • At the beginning of rcS, rotate is 0.
  • When the first call to pickel showpic returns, rotate is 3.

As you noted, the above doesn't apply to every model/firmware.
Do you know if there's a good reason for have different values for each device or even change with a call to pickel?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #57
tshering
Wizard

I have uploaded a test package.
Would be nice if somebody could try it.

This package has already been successfully tested on: Touch B, Touch C, Glo, H2O, Glo HD.

Installation:
  • extract KoboRoot.tgz from the zip archive, and copy it into .kobo
  • select (KSM home) handle update > KR install uncontrolled
Testing:
  • When the reader has rebooted, write into the navigation bar of your webbrowser http://192.168.2.101:8087/rmc_test.html. This is just in case something does not go well.
  • Try whether there is a (unwished) rotation in KSM, by selecting for instance "toggle btw full and short menu".
  • Select (KSM home) "start nickel", and return to KSM.Try whether the screen orientation stays correct when selecting, e.g., "toggle btw full and short menu".
  • Select (KSM home) "start vlasovsoftlauncher" (if you have it; you have to toggle to the full menu), and return to KSM. Try whether the screen orientation stays correct when selecting, e.g., "toggle btw full and short menu".
  • Select (KSM home) "start plato" (if you have it), and return to KSM. Try whether the screen orientation stays correct when selecting, e.g., "toggle btw full and short menu".
If things are worse than they were before:
Write into the input field of the webinterface: tar zxf $ksmuser/copyrepos/KoboRoot_rotation_01_reverse.tgz -C /, and press "execute". The last character of the command is a slash.
Wait some seconds, and then press "reboot." This will restore the old state of your device.

The content of this test package has been removed, since it got included in the updated version of KSM 09 (update 001).

Last edited by tshering; 02-10-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #58
JFeole
Connoisseur

Tshering,

i tried it on the H20.

When i toggle between short and full menus, no rotation.
Started nickel, and exited, no rotation, and tried all KSM menus, no rotation.

Then i tried KOReader, and it is inverted, upside down, had to reboot to get KSM back.

Last i tried CoolReader, and i get unsupported version of launcher, but it is in correct orientation.

Hope this is useful..
Old 01-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #59
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post
Tshering,

i tried it on the H20.

When i toggle between short and full menus, no rotation.
Started nickel, and exited, no rotation, and tried all KSM menus, no rotation.

Then i tried KOReader, and it is inverted, upside down, had to reboot to get KSM back.

Last i tried CoolReader, and i get unsupported version of launcher, but it is in correct orientation.

Hope this is useful..
Thank you! This is certainly useful.
As for exiting KOReader, you can press "exit Koreader" to return to KSM (only when the webinterface is running, of course).
Concerning CoolReader, do you have the latest version of vlasovsoft? And the folder in .adds (not .kobo)?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #60
JFeole
Connoisseur

Hmm..

Yes, for KOReader, I tried both KSM on device, and with webinterface..it jus hangs there in wrong orientation.

And yes, Coolreader is very recent, 12/17 or so version..both added readers were working before i added this test patch..

But Nickel appears ok.

Was a change added that may have affected the added readers?