Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like some variation, but I prefer when they don't go overboard. It's annoying when a female narrator tries to do a deep male character voice, and even worse is the reverse--the male narrators sound silly when they go all falsetto for a female character. I don't want to be thinking about the character's voice--it shouldn't be calling attention to itself. I want to be thinking about the character's words. It's better if the narrator keeps to slight variations in inflection, pacing, etc. to distinguish characters.
Right. It's one of the key attributes of the readers I enjoy most that they can make clear who is speaking with subtle changes, not caricatures.

I don't want every book to be a radio play with a cast of thousands, but often the differentiation of characters is a real value-add of audiobooks, and makes it possible to follow the story even while doing something else, like driving or mowing the lawn.

And honestly, sometimes, when there is a lot of snappy dialog, I have trouble keeping up with who's speaking in a print book, too.

Last edited by ApK; 09-09-2014 at 04:39 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Do people prefer readers who voice different characters differently? The Sherlock Holmes that I enjoyed just had A Reader. And that's all I wanted. (Not that I've tried the alternative; I suppose I might like that too.)
I mean, there aren't different voices when I read on paper or ereader. So ... ?
I like to be able to tell who is talking, so yes, there needs to be some difference in the voice. When I read with my eyes vs my ears, the different characters sound different in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Right. It's one of the key attributes of the readers I enjoy most that they can make clear who is speaking with subtle changes, not caricatures.

I don't want every book to be a radio play with a cast of thousands, but often the differentiation of characters is a real value-add of audiobooks, and makes it possible to follow the story even while doing something else, like driving or mowing the lawn.

And honestly, sometimes, when there is a lot of snappy dialog, I have trouble keeping up with who's speaking in a print book, too.
I agree! A good reader can let us know who is speaking without going overboard.

As for another option there are books with multiple readers. Generally speaking, I don't care for them. That breaks up the book too much for me. If I want to listen to that, I will go with some Old Time Radio or BBC plays.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
As for another option there are books with multiple readers. Generally speaking, I don't care for them. That breaks up the book too much for me. If I want to listen to that, I will go with some Old Time Radio or BBC plays.
I've enjoyed some multiple narrator books where alternating chapters or sections have a different POV character. Heather Gudenkauf's books, for example, and Megan Abbott's most recent, The Fever.

However, I wasn't crazy about the multiple voices in The Godfather, which had one person for the narrative, and various others voicing the different characters' dialog. There's another version with a single narrator, which I probably would have preferred.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #19
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I've only just begun to get interested in audiobooks, and only using free offerings, so recommendations on this thread are greatly appreciated.

I do have a Librivox reader recommendation for your consideration:

Peter Yearsley https://librivox.org/reader/167
Very mellow British gentleman, and I'm in the process of listening to ALL his fiction readings now.

For me, the only yip about Librivox recordings is the 30-second blurb on every chapter giving URL and etc. I'm about to fire up my old Audacity sound editor and edit those out, they get very irritating after the third chapter.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hmm! I think I found the 30 second blurbs to be the one time when I could refocus my mind on my driving and check the GPS, etc! (though I was on a 10 hr stretch of no turns needed)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've been both under the weather and unable to read much lately. I indulged in some comfort listens, favorite books from my adolescence, and discovered a couple of good readers at Librivox.

I purchased Prisoner of Zenda from Audible and disliked the narrator so much that for the first time I returned a book to them. Andy Minter's narration from Librivox was far superior and those who like turn of the last century romance might give him a try.

I also listened to my Audible copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel and decided to move on to one of the sequels, which have not been professionally read so far as I can tell. Karen Savage at Librivox does a nice job with them, good cadences and inflections and reading swiftly. Her one flaw is that her character voices are not consistent; she differentiates between speakers in a conversation, but has a tendency to render the main speaker in a conversation in her own voice, which might not be the same as when the character is a minor participant in another conversation. This didn't seriously impact my enjoyment and she's a pleasant and competent reader.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I just bought a new Concept2 rower (finally, no more having to go to the gym with other people!) and I listen to books and stories as I row. I have downloaded all 57 of Librivox's short story collections (i can usually get through 3-4 stories in one workout). I will pay attention this time to the good narrators and attempt to share here.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I came across a list on Goodreads of favorite Librivox recordings.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
Autonomous
Autonomous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
I enjoyed A House of a Thousand Candles by Meredith Nicholson. I think there's more than one recording now, and I don't remember which narrator I listened to. I think it was the Smallheer version, though, because I remember reading about it here:

https://librivox.org/2010/03/18/our-...s-old-and-new/
Autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #25
jaekqubp
jaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro, Kindle Fire 2015 (KFFOWI), Nook Simple Touch
Everything read by Bob Neufeld is fantastic. I've listened to quite a few of them.
jaekqubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #26
Helsbelles
Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle/windows phone
voices

Hello. I'm new here

I record Librivox audiobooks, and I was interested to come across this discussion - to do voices, or not to do voices? It's a tricky one, as if badly done it can ruin the experience. But I find that conversational books (and especially children's books) read without any attempt at 'acting' the dialogue tend to send me to sleep. I usually try to voice my characters and I hope I make a good fist of it, although I have occasionally come a cropper when the author flings in a character with an accent I can't do (I have awful problems sounding Scottish ).

I can recommend some great readers: Mil Nicholson does a marvellous job of Dickens novels. Karen Savage is a great reader, and seems to be able to read as effortlessly in an impeccable English accent as she does in a US one (and she even reads in Spanish). Tony Foster has the perfect regional accent for reading D. H. Lawrence authentically, and with great fluency and expression. And Andy Minter has a very endearing, genial vocal style and reads at a good pace and intelligent interpretation. All of these inspired me to read for Librivox myself. Definitely give them a try if you're hunting for good ones.

Helen
Helsbelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekqubp View Post
Everything read by Bob Neufeld is fantastic. I've listened to quite a few of them.
The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, read by Bob Neufeld

I found it fantastic, but as English is not my first language I was not sure what a native may think of it.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #28
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Do people prefer readers who voice different characters differently? The Sherlock Holmes that I enjoyed just had A Reader. And that's all I wanted. (Not that I've tried the alternative; I suppose I might like that too.)
I mean, there aren't different voices when I read on paper or ereader. So ... ?
Here is an example of with multiple readers, Kurt Vonnegut's short story 2br02b.

In my previous post I mentioned The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, read by only one reader who voices different characters slightly differently.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
LibriVox offers Carmilla, narrated by Elizabeth Klett, for free; Audible offers what looks to be the same Klett-narrated Carmilla for $11.99 ($8.39 for members). Even the cover picture is the same.

Elizabeth Klett is one of my favorite LibriVox narrators, though I haven't listened to this book.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Martin Clifton does an excellent job on E. F. Benson's Queen Lucia and Chesterton's The Man Who Knew Too Much.

He's also done some poems and collaborative work.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote