Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
KWhytte
Enthusiast
KWhytte began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question catalogue builder output columns are not in the same order in the output

I'd like to get a csv output first:

1) Why create catalog button clicked and options title/author/size picked in that order gives author/size/title columns in csv

2) Why very few of the titles not sorted by title alphabetical order (yes I sorted them in alpabetical title order in calibre (Yes they are sorted OK in Calibre view)

(I don't know if you have another way of doing this output, if so , please show me how:
After getting the csv file I open it with comma and quotation mark ticked and save as xls and html to view it either from my desktop or web copy to check and see if I have that particular book or what I have with specific author etc.

If you know another way to create such htm output from the books listed in my calibre without running the calibre please show me how: )
KWhytte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
random Sort ordering is almost always caused by the corresponding xyz_sort field being RED in the Metadata editor.
The Quality Check PI can: Check Title sort, Check Author sort
and present a list so you can fix (Select All: Bulk Metadata edit: (there are tick boxes for each: Update Author Sort, Update Title sort)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhytte View Post
I'd like to get a csv output first:

1) Why create catalog button clicked and options title/author/size picked in that order gives author/size/title columns in csv

2) Why very few of the titles not sorted by title alphabetical order (yes I sorted them in alpabetical title order in calibre (Yes they are sorted OK in Calibre view)

(I don't know if you have another way of doing this output, if so , please show me how:
After getting the csv file I open it with comma and quotation mark ticked and save as xls and html to view it either from my desktop or web copy to check and see if I have that particular book or what I have with specific author etc.

If you know another way to create such htm output from the books listed in my calibre without running the calibre please show me how: )
The CSV and XML output formats are intermediate formats, meaning that they are intended to be used as input to another program, for example a spreadsheet program. After importing the file, you can rearrange the columns and sort the contents in Excel as you choose.

It sounds like you have a particular workflow with Excel - why not create a macro?

You might also consider outputting your catalog in EPUB format and using the calibre reader to view it. You can create a catalog from the CLI, writing the output to your desktop, then open it from there. You can do all that without opening calibre's GUI.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
KWhytte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
random Sort ordering is almost always caused by the corresponding xyz_sort field being RED in the Metadata editor.
The Quality Check PI can: Check Title sort, Check Author sort
and present a list so you can fix (Select All: Bulk Metadata edit: (there are tick boxes for each: Update Author Sort, Update Title sort)
Let me see if I could do that.

Just for a reminder: A to Z listing shows up with no problem within the calibre interface.
The listing then changes in the csv output.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
KWhytte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
The CSV and XML output formats are intermediate formats, meaning that they are intended to be used as input to another program, for example a spreadsheet program. After importing the file, you can rearrange the columns and sort the contents in Excel as you choose.

It sounds like you have a particular workflow with Excel - why not create a macro?

You might also consider outputting your catalog in EPUB format and using the calibre reader to view it. You can create a catalog from the CLI, writing the output to your desktop, then open it from there. You can do all that without opening calibre's GUI.

G
As I briefly mentioned I get the csv output first then check comma and quotation mark while opening it in excel, then save it as htm output.

I did try epub and mobi outputs which gave me around 11mb file to handle while the htm output I often refer to is only 0.6mb and keep it open often to check/search or refer to in my collection of over 4000 items in calibre (not all of them books, some are university thesis) Not to mention I also upload a copy to the net as htm file for easy access from everywhere. I often update these files once a week too depending how many additional items added to my calibre
So the speed to open as well as small footprint to keep it on is crucial for me

Last edited by KWhytte; 12-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
KWhytte
Enthusiast

Thank you theducks
Thank you GRiker
I appreciate your explanations very much.

theducks: I am afraid I am not very competent to do such sorting in Calibre.
Maybe a better component or ad on could be included in the upcoming versions of Calibre

Sorting in excel sound like the easiest way around I think.
(I did not know how as I was using not the MS Excel)
I managed to do it just now.

So if there's a way I could get the output from calibre, I'd like to hear about it.