Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #61
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Do you have a pair of shoes, or a pair shoes?

This reminds of the word "myriad."

"There are myriad choices."
"There are a myriad choices."
"There are a myriad of choices."

ApK
(one-time English major)
I have two of shoes.

cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I have two of shoes.

I have jack of diamonds.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That's true. McCoy would never have described a dual-hearted alien as having two of hearts, but Data in the weekly bridge officer poker game on the NCC-1701-D would not have hesitated to use that phrase to describe his poker hand.

Jeeze! How geeky is this post?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #64
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Geeky ang fun! When I want logic and (some level of) consistency in language I revert to my high school Latin.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #65
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When I lived in the western USA I heard a "a couple-few days" and "a couple-few hours" with out the "of" all the time. Not heard that anywhere else before or since.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #66
Adele Ward
Connoisseur
Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's always 'couple of' in British English. I've edited US books and discuss this with the author when it comes up. You don't have to use correct grammar in a book. It can be in dialect, and this can include almost perfect grammar but some dialect phrases. So I do allow 'couple' without 'of' if the narrator or the author is American and wants that wording.
Adele Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #67
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Grammarians are always wrong - eventually, that is. Language changes, despite all efforts to hold it back, it always has. We would be speaking Indo-European if it didn't change. Fighting against language change is like trying to hold back the tide. Language always has rules, and as language changes, we have to discover what those rules are. I agree with the poster that I might say "I'll have a couple steaks" to refer to just expressing a desire for more than one steak, but I might say "I'll have a couple of those steaks" to refer to specific steaks. Using "couple of" all the time seems very stiff. Of course, if an editor says "don't use 'couple of'" then you might want to go along with their demands. I'd be more inclined to drop the "of" in character's dialog than in other text.

Being a Northerner, I don't use "y'all", but I can see how it can be quite useful. "You" can be used as a singular or a plural, but this leads to confusion, people commonly get confused whether it refers to them in particular, or to the whole group. With "y'all", it's clear that this is referring to a group, not just a particular person. "All ya'll" seems redundant, but it refers not just to multiple people, but to everyone present. Standard English is just another dialect of English. The term "King's English" or "Queen's English" is just that, the dialect of the people at the top of the social pyramid.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #68
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I've seen the expression without the "of" a few times in student papers, so it must be colloquial usage here in Canada too. It makes me twitch a bit, and I generally correct it since students are supposed to use formal English in papers.

But I love that "couple-few" construction! . I enjoy lots of things in spoken English that I don't like to see in a paper.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #69
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Perhaps in decades to come "couplefew" could become a word. Stranger things have happened, "whithersoever" is three words jammed into one. "Couple few" is informal, but logical, "couple" implies two, "few" implies three, so a person might say "couple few" to imply that the quantity could be two or three. You could say "a couple or a few", but language seems to evolve to saying the same thing in a less complex manner.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #70
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have heard and used "couple few" a many times, pretty sure on both US coasts that I've lived on. I like it, but I've always viewed it strictly as a cutesy colloquialism, not with any thought that it was grammatically correct. Like ginormous, or absotivley.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #71
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I live in the southeastern US, and it's common to omit the "of" in casual conversation. But I would never write it that way unless I was writing dialogue or in a certain voice.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote