blacksmith1
blacksmith1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
AZK book overwrites another one after sideloading

I have three kindle files
I have DRMed them using Calibre 3.31.0 for mac with DeDRM Tools 6.6.1
I have exported the resulting azw3 using Kindle Previewer 3.27 to AZK files
I sideload AZK files to my Kindle for iPad using iTunes
Books appears successfully on Kindle for iPad but with one problem; each book overwrites the other one. An important note is that all three books are from the same publisher
Other books from other publishers appears without any issues
blacksmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith1 View Post
I have three kindle files
I have DRMed them using Calibre 3.31.0 for mac with DeDRM Tools 6.6.1
I have exported the resulting azw3 using Kindle Previewer 3.27 to AZK files
I sideload AZK files to my Kindle for iPad using iTunes
Books appears successfully on Kindle for iPad but with one problem; each book overwrites the other one. An important note is that all three books are from the same publisher
Other books from other publishers appears without any issues
I suspect your publisher accidentally reused the metadata (OPF) from one file to the next. Have you tried renaming the files, in Calibre? Updating the meta? You really shouldn't have issues overwriting one with the next, UNLESS the iPad is viewing them as the same file, obviously. The only way I can see that happening is with either identical titles, which presumably you've already checked, or identical metadata. So that when the iPad's K4iPad software views the headers, it "sees" the same book file.

Have you checked the metadata? Popped open the OPF, to check it?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
blacksmith1
blacksmith1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Dear Hitch,

Thank you so much for your reply

From inside Calibre, I clicked "Click to open" for the books. From there I open metadata.opf using text editor. All metadata for the three books are completely different. Kindly have a look at the attached screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 10.56.59 AM.png
Views:	8
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	166429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 10.58.32 AM.png
Views:	11
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	166430  
blacksmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith1 View Post
Dear Hitch,

Thank you so much for your reply

From inside Calibre, I clicked "Click to open" for the books. From there I open metadata.opf using text editor. All metadata for the three books are completely different. Kindly have a look at the attached screenshots
Well, that's weird. Presumably, the ASINs are all different, right, and the UUIDs? I'm not 100% sure how K4iOS segregates books, to be honest. As the process (create an AZK, sideload it via iTunes via Sharing, etc.) is such a bastard child, I have no real firm grip on what happens where. What I do know is that iBooks and the K4iOS app have both always had a serious caching issue, and I wonder if this is somehow related in some oddball way, even though it seems to be almost the opposite of that?

OR...I wonder if it's something that Amazon is doing, either overtly or negligiently, having to do with Calibre-built files?

What happens if you make an ePUB, from the MOBI, then build a proper MOBI file with that, using KP3, and then build the AZK? Do you have the same issue? That would be my next step, were I you. That way, you'd be "starting" with a MOBI from Amazon, effectively--NOT an AZW3 from Calibre. I suspect, although can't quite say why, that that's part of the problem.

I'd "convert" the AZW3 files to ePUB, using Calibre, drop the ePUB onto KP3, build the MOBI, and THEN build the AZK file and try it again, for all three, or at least two, to see if the overwriting continues. Amazon is not super-Calibre-friendly, and that could SOMEHOW be playing into it. I'm not even saying it's Calibre, per se; but there could be something that Amazon's intake just doesn't love about those.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote