Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"Water cooler" in England ?

Hi all,

I have a scene with people getting water from one of those water dispenser things that Americans call 'water coolers' ... with a big bottle on top and paper/plastic cups underneath .... do we call them 'water coolers' in the UK and Ireland ?
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There are several different types and it seems there are several different names for them according to Wikipedia: Water Cooler
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes but what do people in the UK call them ?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
Yes but what do people in the UK call them ?
I've always assumed they called them water coolers but truthfully I don't know.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
saoir
Groupie

I'm not sure you're wrong It just sounds so american when i say it to myself
Old 08-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My English colleagues call them water coolers. However my experience working in offices in the UK is that people congregate more around the kitchenette or the coffee/tea vending machine. I rarely see people around the water cooler. Maybe because they'd rather use the hot water dispenser (water boiler) in the kitchenette. On the other hand, Americans like to stand around the water cooler and talk. Perhaps that is what is bothering you about it seeming too American.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
As somebody who has worked in UK offices for 25 years, more or less, I think that Bookworm Girl has nailed it really. If it's a scene where people are talking around a communal point, the kitchen would be far more authentically English (whilst waiting for the kettle to boil for a cup of tea).

If it has to be a water cooler, then yes, that would be typically what we'd call it, although water dispenser is something I've also heard. They are not as ubiquitous in UK offices as they seem to be in the US though.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
saoir
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My English colleagues call them water coolers. However my experience working in offices in the UK is that people congregate more around the kitchenette or the coffee/tea vending machine. I rarely see people around the water cooler. Maybe because they'd rather use the hot water dispenser (water boiler) in the kitchenette. On the other hand, Americans like to stand around the water cooler and talk. Perhaps that is what is bothering you about it seeming too American.
Yes. That might be it. Its the actual object that I am trying to refer to, in a hallway in a UK office environment...

Tks
Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
saoir
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
As somebody who has worked in UK offices for 25 years, more or less, I think that Bookworm Girl has nailed it really. If it's a scene where people are talking around a communal point, the kitchen would be far more authentically English (whilst waiting for the kettle to boil for a cup of tea).

If it has to be a water cooler, then yes, that would be typically what we'd call it, although water dispenser is something I've also heard. They are not as ubiquitous in UK offices as they seem to be in the US though.
I used to see a hell of lot of them myself when I was working in the office environ. But I think BG may be right in how I came to feel it so 'american'. It's funny how things like this nag at you and even now as I accept this ... it still nags

Many thanks guys
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Water dispenser. But when I worked in offices it was always just called "the water."
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote