Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
raynchk
raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-505
Best Ebookstore

I've searched the threads here and really can't find one with the answer to my question. Google is not much help at all. Anyhow, here's the question:

I'm using a linux computer and calibre for book management. Ereader is a Samsung 7 tablet. So far I haven't found a place (Google Play, Kobo, B&N) where I can purchase an epub title that doesn't have digital rights management. I tried to purchase a book on Google Play and all I get is a link that will direct me to download book to Adobe DRM which I don't have on my computer. I suppose I could download wine and try to run it there, but am not really in the mood for that.

I'm probably not seeing the obvious here, maybe there's an easier way. I'd like to purchase the Master of War series by David Gilman to start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
raynchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You want to run Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 and using Calibre 5.x with the DeDRM plugin v7.0.0b4, you can remove the DRM from your ePub. No need to worry about getting DRM free ePub. You can get DeDRM v7.0.0b4 from Apprentice Alf's Blog.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-13-2020 at 02:44 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I believe that DRM is specified by the publisher, not just the bookstore. So if Gilman's publisher requires DRM, his books will be sold with DRM at all bookstores. Stores like Kobo sell books without DRM when the publisher allows it.

There are a few bookstores who don't use DRM at all: Baen (mostly science fiction and fantasy) and Smashwords are the only ones I know of.

So I'm afraid you'll have to either be limited in the ebooks you can read, or go through the hassle of installing wine and the setup JSWolf described.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynchk View Post
I'm using a linux computer and calibre for book management. Ereader is a Samsung 7 tablet. So far I haven't found a place (Google Play, Kobo, B&N) where I can purchase an epub title that doesn't have digital rights management.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Maybe you should consider getting a used registerable kindle. (Be wary of any that might be banned by amazon because of being reported lost, stolen, replaced, or other reason.) Then register it on amazon and make a record of its serial number. After that, you never have to do anything with it again.

You can then buy books from amazon and download them to your linux computer and use Apprentice Alf's calibre plugin to take care of your DRM problem, then use mobileread's kindleunpack python utility or calibre conversion to convert to EPUB. The kindleunpack output is pretty much as close as possible to the publisher EPUB as is possible.

It is best if the kindle is capable of azw3, not just mobi. Any kindle with a touchscreen should be OK, except maybe the original kindle touch.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I believe that DRM is specified by the publisher, not just the bookstore. So if Gilman's publisher requires DRM, his books will be sold with DRM at all bookstores. Stores like Kobo sell books without DRM when the publisher allows it.

There are a few bookstores who don't use DRM at all: Baen (mostly science fiction and fantasy) and Smashwords are the only ones I know of.

So I'm afraid you'll have to either be limited in the ebooks you can read, or go through the hassle of installing wine and the setup JSWolf described.
Tor eBooks are DRM free as is Star Trek eBooks from S&S/Pocket Books.
Advert
Old 12-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Maybe you should consider getting a used registerable kindle. (Be wary of any that might be banned by amazon because of being reported lost, stolen, replaced, or other reason.) Then register it on amazon and make a record of its serial number. After that, you never have to do anything with it again.

You can then buy books from amazon and download them to your linux computer and use Apprentice Alf's calibre plugin to take care of your DRM problem, then use mobileread's kindleunpack python utility or calibre conversion to convert to EPUB. The kindleunpack output is pretty much as close as possible to the publisher EPUB as is possible.

It is best if the kindle is capable of azw3, not just mobi. Any kindle with a touchscreen should be OK, except maybe the original kindle touch.
Kindle's as far back as the K3 can handle KF8.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've thrown this out before, and I'm not sure if it will work..

install an Android dev environment. Download an app that uses RMDSK (like bluefire reader). Use the dedrm tools.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
raynchk
raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-505
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up getting a kindle and wading through the Amazon swamp.
raynchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynchk View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up getting a kindle and wading through the Amazon swamp.
Why? A Kobo is so much better. The firmware makes the Kobo give a better reading experience plus you can manage eBooks so much easier. If you go Kindle, you'll regret it.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why? A Kobo is so much better. The firmware makes the Kobo give a better reading experience plus you can manage eBooks so much easier. If you go Kindle, you'll regret it.
The OP cannot deDRM their books without an eink Kindle, because they cannot install ADE on their Linux computer.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The OP cannot deDRM their books without an eink Kindle, because they cannot install ADE on their Linux computer.
There was a suggestion given that might work using Bluefire Reader. Also, you can install ADE 2.0.1 using Win. It's convoluted, but it can be done. Also, Windows can be installed in a virtual environment or dual-boot Windows.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-14-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Sadly there are few ereader that can handle ACSM files directly, without needing Adobe Digital Editions. I know that Pocketbook can do it because I own it. You only need a account.

But of course I won't advice You to buy a ereader for that reason because You already use a tablet and You don't need a eink device.

I am not expert of Android app (I image that the tablet uses Android) but: does it exist a reader app that can handle ACSM files directly without ADE? You could explore that possibility.

If there is not such app You can try to install ADE trough Wine or to buy a old Kindle for the lowest price You can, but pay attention to the black list because otherwise You won't be able to register it on Your Amazon Account.

Edit: of course You can also install the kindle app on You reder and buy it from amazon. The purchase of a Kindle is to get rid of DRM.

Last edited by ps67; 12-14-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Edit: of course ...
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Buying a Kindle when he already has something is a waste of money.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
There was a suggestion given that might work using Bluefire Reader. Also, you can install ADE 2.0.1 using Win. It's convoluted, but it can be done. Also, Windows can be installed in a virtual environment or dual-boot Windows.
The OP doesn't want to install wine.

Some linux users go months or even years between reboots. Spending money on an OS licence to run a single unnecessary application is a big waste of both time and money, so dual boot is likely out of the question and virtual environment almost as bad.

Quote:
Buying a Kindle when he already has something is a waste of money.
But buying a kobo isn't?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The OP doesn't want to install wine.

Some linux users go months or even years between reboots. Spending money on an OS licence to run a single unnecessary application is a big waste of both time and money, so dual boot is likely out of the question and virtual environment almost as bad.
I'm probably misreading your message but why the OP would need to purchase an OS license to run ADE under WINE? Fora full Windows install, yes but then most Linux tend to have a Windows license or two kicking around from where they sidegraded to Linux.

Personally, I have a great fondness for virtualization since it allows me to run multiple Windows. Linux and even MacOS installations on my laptop. Not to mention, the ease of creating and tweaking an OS template for our corporate virtualization environment.

And some Linux users going months or even years between reboots? From what I've seen that is not that common and is taking unnecessary risks. Our Linux servers get rebooted several times per year when we install security upgrades both for the OS and for applications.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote