Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #31
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What? I've moved around in public all my life without any hand sanitizers. Public transport, shopping centers, eating out etc. etc. I wash my hands when I come home, and that's it.
But you have never encountered coronavirus COVID-19. That is a big game changer, or at least has the ability to become one...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #32
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yeah, then I'm guessing you're not immunosuppressed, don't live with an immunosuppressed or otherwise at-risk person, and have never lived through a significant communicable disease outbreak in your community. (You don't even wash your hands before you eat? You never go to the toilet outside of your house?)

I was responding to the "Oh well, CDC says it is better to thoroughly wash hands rather than use sanitizers." I agree that handwashing is better; it's just not available in all situations.
The only reason I was trying to find hand sanitizer is for when I’m out in public and can’t wash my hands. I found some by the way—a friend had stockpiled some supplies and gave me some. At home it is better to wash your hands. And not all hand sanitizers are effective. Be sure to get ones with 60% alcohol.
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #33
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Unfortunately we made the decision last weekend to have Mabel euthanized. While she was eating well and using her litter box, there was little if any energy, gums were pale, breathing was quite heavy (almost panting but normally without an open mouth).

Monday evening we took her on her last visit to the vet.

I'm still feeling guilty for having failed her, and boy am I missing those pitter patters as she roamed around, or the purring as she kept us company.
My heart goes out to you. I wouldn't think you have failed her. Cats get sick, cats get old, and there isn’t much we can do about it. They can’t talk to us to tell us when they are sick or what hurts. Sometimes it is difficult to understand they are sick until it is too late. It sounds like you did everything you could to help her.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
...and have never lived through a significant communicable disease outbreak in your community. (You don't even wash your hands before you eat? You never go to the toilet outside of your house?)
Communicable disease outbreaks (mostly respiratory tract infections and influenza) are very common here throughout the year, except for midsummer. But I've rarely gotten them and when I have, then mostly by direct contact with a sick person. Most people get infected this way, by being in the proximity of those already ill. A sanitizer wouldn't help in that case, as these kinds of infections spread through air (true, influenza can survive on surfaces, but the majority of infections are still gotten by close contact). I guess tropical climate is another story, as infections and how they spread are different there (I don't travel). Coronavirus spreads mostly by droplets as well.

I don't know anyone who regularly gets infections from touching a surface in public and I also don't know anyone who uses hand sanitizers in public. But then there are no immunosuppressed persons among my acquaintances, at least to my knowledge. Still, getting an infection through air is always a bigger risk here even for immunosuppressed people, especially if they use public transport.

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-04-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #35
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Unfortunately we made the decision last weekend to have Mabel euthanized. While she was eating well and using her litter box, there was little if any energy, gums were pale, breathing was quite heavy (almost panting but normally without an open mouth).

I'm still feeling guilty for having failed her, and boy am I missing those pitter patters as she roamed around, or the purring as she kept us company.
Do not feel guilty. You made the right choice not to let her suffer.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #36
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Quote:

I understand the feeling. We always feel like we could’ve, should’ve been able to do more when really the only thing we can do is make that very hard decision. You did what was best for her. You cared enough to ensure she did not suffer. You did not fail her. Sending you hugs.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@meeera - irrespective of C19, you could carry a trigger spray bottle of IPA, you can buy it in bulk at about $AU10 a litre. I believe it's effective against most bugs, including C19.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #38
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
IPA ? India Pale Ale??? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_pale_ale
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:00 PM   #39
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Yeah, I'd go with 190 proof Everclear, myself!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #40
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I suspect IsoPropyl Alcohol?

(using non-standard capitalization intenitonally)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:02 AM   #41
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@meeera - irrespective of C19, you could carry a trigger spray bottle of IPA, you can buy it in bulk at about $AU10 a litre. I believe it's effective against most bugs, including C19.
Yes, like I said, if I run out I'm going to have to make my own - the WHO recipe contains mostly isopropanol. Unfortunately, isopropanol of adequate strength has become extremely difficult to buy here also.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:14 AM   #42
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, like I said, if I run out I'm going to have to make my own - the WHO recipe contains mostly isopropanol. Unfortunately, isopropanol of adequate strength has become extremely difficult to buy here also.
You should be able to get 5-10 litre bottles of high grade IPA from Bermuda Industrial or Sydney Solvents. If not try this one, it's almost AR grade ==>> IPA Technical Grade, 99.997%, Isopropyl Alcohol 1 litre Australia at $12.95.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-05-2020 at 03:16 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:18 AM   #43
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You should be able to get 5-10 litre bottles of high grade IPA from Bermuda Industrial or Sydney Solvents. If not try this one, it's almost AR grade ==>> IPA Technical Grade, 99.997%, Isopropyl Alcohol 1 litre Australia at $12.95.
Ty, I'll work on getting some if I look like running out. Meanwhile I will leave any remaining stocks for people who need it more.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #44
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Yesterday I got a few items delivered that I had purchased from Amazon. At first I didn’t really think much about that since it is fairly routine at my house. But after thinking about it I have to remember those items were handled by multiple people in multiple locations before they got to my home. Although I did not open the door to talk with the delivery guy, there could still be traces of bad stuff on the packaging and even on the product containers. So probably a good idea to sanitize the items and ourselves when we get them delivered. Probably not a bad idea to do the same from items bought at B&M retailers too.

Not sure what to do with groceries. Boxed/canned/bottled items could be sanitized, but fresh produce is more problematic. I guess fresh produce that will be cooked will get sanitized during cooking, by things that are eaten uncooked might be an issue--not sure about that. Thankfully I don’t buy much fresh produce any more as I rarely cook. But something to think about. At the very least, we need to remember to sanitize our hands after handling packages, groceries, store items, etc.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #45
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
At the very least, we need to remember to sanitize our hands after handling packages, groceries, store items, etc.
Carts in stores are filthy. I've tried for years to break my husband of sitting items in the baby seat part of the cart. I guess it would take a stinky diaper to be there in plain sight for him to get it.

So is paper money, all those touch screens for payment, the conveyor belts where you sit your stuff, etc. While I don't go crazy, I do wipe off the handle of the cart if there are wipes available. At the very least, I wash my hands as soon as I get home.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote