Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
jallan44
jallan44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best Ereader for language learning?

Hello everyone!

Firstly I want to apologize if this question has been posed recently, I’ve searched for a few days now, but have not been able to find anything recent(I’ve heard that much changes in firmware updates & third party apps and so on)

My question is regarding ereaders and language learning, specifically which ereader is the best for language learning(Note I am in Canada). This includes features such as
• On the fly translation(preferably without needing to access the internet, but not a dealbreaker)
• Portuguese(Brazilian Portuguese) translation dictionaries either preloaded or available to buy
• Flashcard creation/integration with android and anki(which has an app on android)

I’ve narrowed it down to the
Sony PRST1
Kindle- not sure which model, although I’ve heard the touch is the best for translation/language learning
any other models that I'm unaware of that'd meet my needs?

I don't want to have buyers remorse, so I'd like to have the ease of mind knowing that I purchased the ereader which is the most effective for my language learning goals.

Thank you for reading
jallan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Actually, you may be better off with a tablet. Lots of apps specific for learning languages, you'll be able to practice and check pronunciation, can't do that on eReaders.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
jallan44

I thought about that, but ideally I'd like to use the device before going to bed. and I have a problem with LCD screens at night and insomina.

Also, I dont want to get distracted on the device, just use it purely for reading &listening to foreign language material
Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
jallan44

sry for double post, internet has been acting wierd lately
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
takikura
Connoisseur
takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle sony reader boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallan44 View Post
I thought about that, but ideally I'd like to use the device before going to bed. and I have a problem with LCD screens at night and insomina.

Also, I dont want to get distracted on the device, just use it purely for reading &listening to foreign language material
Hi

I am the guy who started the post with the same title with yours. The question is the availability of a good Portuguese dictionary on eBook readers. I still believe OnyxReader on Boox 60 is the best for learning German language, as I found a nice German Stardict. If you are interested in this reader, please visit;

http://edu.selfip.net/content/?Onyx_Boox:Forum

I can test the Portuguese dictionary available for this eReader, if you provide a test text in this language like my German one in my thread.

I read somewhere that the new Sony T2 has different sets of dictionary depending on countries where it is sold. You should check on which dictionary sets are built in the Sony T2 being sold in Brazil. I have Sony PRS-650, its German dictionary works fairly well. Eduardo who developed the OnyxReader said he tested his reader against German, Spanish and English. If the Portuguese use same characters and similar morphology as those of Spanish language, the reader may work with the Portuguese language.

takikura
takikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert