Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
nida
nida began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Language Learning On The Cheap

Hello!

Have any of you ever used an e-book to learn a language?

I've been wanting to learn Spanish for a while but unfortunately I am quite low on funds at the moment and language classes cost a bit (for me anyway). I recently took a chance and bought a Spanish "phrase book" for like $2.99 on Amazon.

It's going pretty well so far...I mean, there are phrases like "hello my name is..." and "where is the hotel" so getting a conversation started is pretty easy. Of course in order to be really fluent I'd have to learn actual grammar but I imagine a phrasebook like this would be pretty great if you're going to Spain for 3 days. I believe their iPhone app actually has audio by a native speaker as well. (The company is Eton Institute)

Have you guys ever had a good/bad experience with these apps that claim to teach you an entire language? Or are they a waste of time and money?

Last edited by nida; 07-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.
nida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I've done Rosetta Stone's Spanish, which was offered free via an online hookup through my public library. Sort of useful.

There are also approximately a bajillion websites that offer a free Spanish tutorials, some with songs and/or poetry that make the learning less painful. An easy Google search.

It's also possible to find some online Spanish translations of books such as Old Man and the Sea, which you can then get up on a screen along with the English version. One thing about Hemingway — the language is simple, so reading along is fairly straightforward. Also (and this is less helpful although it does give you some interesting vocabulary) I found a Gideon bible with Spanish on the left page, English on the right.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
haha, I've been recently trying to learn latin from this Gutenberg ebook.

Lots of public domain spanish literature there too, both for beginners and advanced.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Although dated, you may want to check out FSI (Foreign Service Institute) at http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php.

Open Culture has a collection of resources for various languages (http://www.openculture.com/freelanguagelessons) that might get you going in the right direction.

I keep requesting access to the Kindle Developer API, so that I can write myself a flashcard app (I'm a programmer by trade), but they keep ignoring me.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, language, spanish