Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Dictionary lookup in iBooks 1.1: "Dictionary not available for this language"

I'm getting a "Dictionary not available for this language" in some ePubs I've converted from other sources, when trying to use the iBooks Dictionary.
It works fine in some ePubs I've created myself, just not in others.
It works fine in books purchased in iBooks.

Is there a metadata I need to have in the ePub to specify English?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Same here - I haven't purchased any from iBooks, but I have side-loaded some epubs and the dictionary works on those, but not on the Calibre converted ones.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm downloading it right now, I'll take a look. It might be a mismatched language declaration in the metadata causing the problem.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Same here - I haven't purchased any from iBooks, but I have side-loaded some epubs and the dictionary works on those, but not on the Calibre converted ones.
Phew, ok, glad its not just me I'll ask on the ePub forum-maybe its just a simple metadata thing we can add to Calibre's settings.

It is odd but not unexpected that "copy text" is also only available on my converted books..not on purchased ones.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I'm downloading it right now, I'll take a look. It might be a mismatched language declaration in the metadata causing the problem.

G
Cool, thanks!
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is definitely a new "feature" of 1.1. Dictionary lookup used to work fine in the ePubs I'd created myself - now it gives this error.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Hey - we have sepia, now, too!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
All the books I've tested now with 1.1 fail the dictionary but they worked in the older version.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
All the books I've tested now with 1.1 fail the dictionary but they worked in the older version.
The dictionary works in Baen's ePub books, but not in the ones I've created myself with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
kjk

Quote:

G
Did you want me to send in a ticket, GRiker?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Already fixed for next release.

Here's what I found in my quick test: If iBooks 1.1 finds either 'en' or 'en-US' in <dc:language>, the dictionary works. It's possible that this is country-specific, as I'm on a US iPad. I'm adding code that forces the <dc:language> declaration to 'en-US' for now.

Harry, can you take a look at Winnie-the-Pooh's OPF file, and tell me what its <dc:language> is declared as?

Calibre may need to allow the user to specify language for different countries, I'll discuss with Kovid.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-21-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:

Here's what I found in my quick test: If iBooks 1.1 finds either 'en' or 'en-US' in <dc:language>, the dictionary works. It's possible that this is country-specific, as I'm on a US iPad. I'm adding code that forces the <dc:language> declaration to 'en-US' for now.

Harry, can you take a look at Winnie-the-Pooh's OPF file, and tell me what its <dc:language> is declared as?

Calibre may need to allow the user to specify language for different countries, I'll discuss with Kovid.

G
cool, thanks again for the quick response!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Quote:

G
I'm not Harry, but Winnie shows

<dc:language>en</dc:language>
(dictionary lookup works)

and a book I converted in Calibre shows
<dc:language>UND</dc:language>
(dictionary lookup fails)

You're awesome, Gregory, thanks.

Tracey
Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
GRiker

tlrowley, I assume you using the US book store as I am?

I need folks that are not using the US bookstore to check that declaration. If international iPads are shipped with different dictionaries, it could be a country-by-country matter.

G
Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I'll stop trying to be helpful