Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thumbs up Bible App

In an email this morning, I had a list of the apps which I've downloaded. Then in the advertising panel, it had new iPad apps. Previously, I downloaded the free Bible app, but it was pretty much useless. No way to go directly to passages, etc.

This new one, called Olive Tree, is precisely the eBible I have been looking for since about 2006, when I could no longer see the words in my large print Bible. You tap to choose book, then chapter, then verse number. Fast and simple.

You can switch from King James of ASV, and it comes with access to a whole library of biblical references and study guides.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I have the OT bible on my iPhone as well. They've submitted their iPad app, had it rejected, fixed whatever it was rejected for .... and now we await for it to be approved.

Logos also has a nice iPad bible software.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I have been using Olive Tree since my Palm days. I had the NAB through Olive Tree on my iPhone and now use it on the iPad as well. They are the best I've found. I hope they have an update soon to a full on iPad app....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Another incredible ipad app is Laridian software's 'PocketBible'. I have used various versions since about 1999 and there are some aspects of this app which have no comparison from others. It's worth looking into.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I have the Olive Tree app on both iPhone and iPad. It really comes into it's own on the iPad. Highly recommended.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
Another incredible ipad app is Laridian software's 'PocketBible'. I have used various versions since about 1999 and there are some aspects of this app which have no comparison from others. It's worth looking into.
What are those aspects?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I'm using YouVersion's Bible App. Seems to meet my needs. I like that I can have more than one translation, the search tools seems pretty robust and it can link with pics and media (according to the blurb)

www.youversion.com
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

See post #3 above.... The update never came for the New American Bible... (catholic).... for the iPad ......so...

I still use Olive Tree on my iPhone, but have changed on my iPad...

The best solution for me was actually the "The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible (New Testament)" from the Kindle store. Good notes and such, good typeface, and just in general well done. I also got the New Revised Standard Version from Harper. Good for reading when I am not in a "study" mode, as it has no notes...etc..... I actually got it from B&N, but stripped the DRM because I like to read it in Stanza better... anyway, these are filling my current bible needs
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

One thing that everyone should be aware of is there are basically two distinct software implementations of the Bible, and every bible app falls into one of these two areas. (Another option are the online bible resources where your program is connecting to an internet site to retrieve info. I occasionally use this option but prefer to have actual bible libraries residing on my computer.)

If you're looking for a bible app, here are the options...
The first is a simple bible reader. You use this to read the bible. It probably offers a search function so you can look for words and/or passages. It might offer a little more than this, such as the ability to highlight words, etc. but it is basically just a reader. There are many, many programs which fall into this area... and this includes various ebook readers. These have been around since the early days of personal computers... I bought my first one in the early 80s and it wasn't much different than most of the bible apps offered today (in this category).

The second area is bible software with cross-reference functions. This is for when you're wanting to go far beyond just reading and get into full study and biblical research. Though apps like this can be used to simply read the Bible, they also include a full-range of easily accessible libraries, such as commentaries, dictionaries, Strongs (original language meaning and usage), maps, charts, themes, parallel verses, note-taking, etc, etc. Basically, having an app like this is similar to having a whole bookshelf of study material at your disposal at all times. By loading an app with tons of material, you might just possibly have a library equal to that of your pastor.... Use it wisely!!

I personally have several bible apps on each of my devices. One reason is no matter what people tell you, such as "so-and-so app is completely free", once you go beyond the free modules, there's always more material which you have to pay for. It's not the fault of the software companies, but of the publishers who own the rights to their specific product. If your preference is the NIV bible with Life Application Study (example only) then no matter what software you're using, you must pay for those versions. And if you change software, your purchase will not carry-over... you must repurchase.

Another thing worth mentioning is... if you own a standard Windows computer, then you have a ton of options. Almost everything works on Windows. But once you get into other OS, (whether it's Mac, Android, various ebook readers, WinCe, iPhone, Linux, etc.) then your options drop dramatically. You have to search for the best app for your platform which meets your personal needs.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
More Free Bible Apps

I'm using a bunch of Bible apps so I thought I'd mention them here.

OliveTree is good, has both Greek and Hebrew texts with lexical data, and works great for general Bible study, reading and so forth.

Laridian has PocketBible with tons of resources as well. This app syncs notes and highlights across platforms.

There are many free apps - my favorite is the ESV Bible from Crossway. They released it to promote their version (the English Standard Version - a good translation) and it looks good. If you want the ESV study notes the app costs 12.99, but the free version has the entire ESV text and good typography.

One might also check out the Logos app which is most worth while if you have spent money on Logos books, but the basic app is free if you want to check it out.

I use all 4 of these apps so I can recommend them.
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777 View Post
I'm using a bunch of Bible apps so I thought I'd mention them here.
OliveTree is good,
Laridian has PocketBible with tons of resources as well.
my favorite is the ESV Bible from Crossway.
One might also check out the Logos app
I use all 4 of these apps so I can recommend them.
Thanks ddoyle777!
I also use the four you mention (as well as several others) and highly recommend all four.

One great thing about a 'basically free' app is it doesn't cost you anything to test it out.

On my Windows computer I occasionally have a hard time deciding which one to use. On my Mac, the choice is far narrower (none of the four work at all). On my pocketpc, WinCe bibles are the only choice... but my Chinese WinCe device doesn't even recognize all the specific WinCe apps. I have yet to find one for my Android that satisfies like the others do (I'm sure there will be one soon). I have a couple running on my Linux, but again neither are my favorite.

My point is... test them out and find what works for your device, and what satisfies!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What are those aspects?
Here's a few...
Sync between Windows/PocketPC/WindowsMobile/HPC/iphone/ipad/Android (on the way).

It's multi-open 'panes' can be fast and easy to use when compared to some of the competition which doesn't allow this. Their software is consistently good for bible study, as contrasted to bible reading.

Also, I haven't tested all, but on certain platforms the app can actually be opened on top of itself multiple times, which allows even faster cross-reference. This might not sound impressive on a desktop/laptop device, but on a small device in your pocket, this is quite handy to have.

Laridian maintains good consistency between platforms. Some other companies have excellent software for one platform but just so-so for another platform. You (I) might have a favorite for one platform, but when you try it on another it's a disappointment. Laridian is not that way... you either like it or don't like it, no matter which platform you use.

OliveTree also allows some of this too, but not all. It has it's own strengths.

But, all this said, I'm just simply answering your question. I'm not touting Laridian. It's very good, but I use other software more often.

PS - (added on 8-8) Laridian has a good understanding of the positive strengths of the iPad. They spent much hands-on research with the iPad so they could develop (translate) their software effectively to make the most of the platform. True-to-form, Laridian allows up to 5 (five!!!) panes which allow bible STUDY to be quite effective and easy. (I believe the closest competition only allows up to two panes... I could be wrong though.) Though I don't own an iPad, the videos of PocketBible running on it are quite impressive. If I ever purchase said device, I'm sure this will be among the first software I will add.

Last edited by pphilipp; 08-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I use several Bible apps, too. I think I like Olive Tree the best - I've used it for Palm, iphone and now ipad. I like that the books I purchased for my iphone version were added to my ipad version for free. I did have to repurchase when I switched from Palm, though.

I use the ESV study bible on the Olive Tree and I love it.
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I like the OliveTree app best, had it since my first Palm device (ages and ages ago....)
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Must say, the Olive Tree app looks pretty good but I've been using YouVersion's app for a while and am real happy with it
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote