Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #31
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Hmmm strange once it worked, perhaps my mind played me a fuckup and i was only in the main folder.

Now its only like a "Folder up" function, you are right.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #32
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Here's another quick question - I have read a few books since Xmas on the PB360, and have noticed that in low or indirect light the screen contrast is not that great.

I did a quick side-by-side with my trusty ol' Hanlin V3 clone and sure enough, there is a marked difference in screen contrast between the two devices. The background on the Hanlin V3 is noticeably "whiter," or at least less-grey than the PB360. Anyone else noticed this?

I can try to post some snaps to highlight the point.

Is there any contrast adjustment on the PB360 device (I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask)?
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Nope. My PB360 and BeBook, side by side, both have the exact same background shade and contrast.
What color is your PB360? "White" maybe?
Could also be a font rendering issue; I use Georgia as my preferred reading font because it is relatively dark and then I enable embolden at the smaller font sizes.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #34
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Nope. My PB360 and BeBook, side by side, both have the exact same background shade and contrast.
What color is your PB360? "White" maybe?
Could also be a font rendering issue; I use Georgia as my preferred reading font because it is relatively dark and then I enable embolden at the smaller font sizes.
Yeah, the PB is ivory (white) but I was under the impressions that the contrast should appear better with the lighter case (it was in one of the earlier threads on the PB360).

Even so, placing the screens side-by-side seems to indicate a difference.

I use Bookman Old Style font on both. Maybe I'll try another (have used Georgia but don't like it so much; I like DejaVu fonts but they don't do quotes so well (not so curly); also Gentium is quite nice).
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Yeah, the PB is ivory (white) but I was under the impressions that the contrast should appear better with the lighter case (it was in one of the earlier threads on the PB360).
I saw the same quote. I'm no authority so I didn't challenge it but what I've seen suggests the opposite.
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../kdesignworks/
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...than-skin-deep

First thing I did when I got my Kindle was reskin it to a glossy black.
Makes a (bit of) difference. Since the K2 doesn't let you choose an arbitrary font *and* it uses a relatively thin face it was my only real customization option.

With PB360 I've tried out a lot of fonts...

[tip of the day: FBreader does *not* like 550 simultaneous fonts--it crashes back to the bookshelf. It does work fine with 150-200, though. Its the only way (so far) that I have crashed anything on the PB360.]

...I favor (relatively) large, dark serif fonts like Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Plantagenet Cherokee, and Georgia because I'm comfortable with a "cheap paperback" look. The various Bookman, Goudy, and Garamond variants also look nice at size 22 with embolden.
For other smaller/thinner fonts, I go up to size 24 and reduce the line spacing as appropriate.

If looking for quality truetype fonts, it might be worth tracking down the Bitstream 500 Font CD pack of decades past (vintage Win95). I dug my cd up last week and found a *lot* of likeable, quality serif fonts in full sets; all I had to do was cook up a quick renaming batch file to get them in PB360-usable form.
http://www.tug.org/fontname/bitstrea.aka

I vaguely remember paying something like US$20 back in the day. (Egghead of all places.)
Not sure if it is still for sale or if its only available through the darker net transports but it is something worth looking into if you're interested in pro quality tt fonts at a good price.

Hope you can find a pleasing combo for your reading environment.
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #36
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I saw the same quote. I'm no authority so I didn't challenge it but what I've seen suggests the opposite.
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../kdesignworks/
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...than-skin-deep

First thing I did when I got my Kindle was reskin it to a glossy black.
Makes a (bit of) difference. Since the K2 doesn't let you choose an arbitrary font *and* it uses a relatively thin face it was my only real customization option.

With PB360 I've tried out a lot of fonts...

[tip of the day: FBreader does *not* like 550 simultaneous fonts--it crashes back to the bookshelf. It does work fine with 150-200, though. Its the only way (so far) that I have crashed anything on the PB360.]

...I favor (relatively) large, dark serif fonts like Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Plantagenet Cherokee, and Georgia because I'm comfortable with a "cheap paperback" look. The various Bookman, Goudy, and Garamond variants also look nice at size 22 with embolden.
For other smaller/thinner fonts, I go up to size 24 and reduce the line spacing as appropriate.

If looking for quality truetype fonts, it might be worth tracking down the Bitstream 500 Font CD pack of decades past (vintage Win95). I dug my cd up last week and found a *lot* of likeable, quality serif fonts in full sets; all I had to do was cook up a quick renaming batch file to get them in PB360-usable form.
http://www.tug.org/fontname/bitstrea.aka

I vaguely remember paying something like US$20 back in the day. (Egghead of all places.)
Not sure if it is still for sale or if its only available through the darker net transports but it is something worth looking into if you're interested in pro quality tt fonts at a good price.

Hope you can find a pleasing combo for your reading environment.
Some good tips there!

I was thinking that maybe I'm suffering from an optical illusion effect with the ivory case and the off-white/grey background plus black-ish letters - too many shades of grey all up!

I like the look of the ivory PB360 though, so maybe I need to train my brain to ignore it?

I may need to get a black PB360 next - anyone own one that can comment on their perception of the letter/background contrast?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I like the look of the ivory PB360 though, so maybe I need to train my brain to ignore it?

I may need to get a black PB360 next - anyone own one that can comment on their perception of the letter/background contrast?
Mine is the dark chocolate (black).
The ivory looks nice and I don't really think it should make that much difference...
Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #38
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Kacir: Concerning your following tip, which I quote:

3. You can tweak the FBReader application using [Letter]:\system\fonts\styles.xml file. For example if you want to have greater first line indent and space after paragraph change line
<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="20" allowHyphenations="true"/>
into
<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="40" allowHyphenations="true" spaceAfter="4"/>

I am used to editing my .fbreader file in OpenInkpot for use on my BeBook One, but I have just received my PocketBook 360 and wish to do the same here. But I can't seem to get into the FBReader application in PocketBook in order to following your instructions. How do I do this? Thanks. Jim
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #39
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Kacir: Concerning your following tip, which I quote:

3. You can tweak the FBReader application using [Letter]:\system\fonts\styles.xml file. For example if you want to have greater first line indent and space after paragraph change line
<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="20" allowHyphenations="true"/>
into
<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="40" allowHyphenations="true" spaceAfter="4"/>

I am used to editing my .fbreader file in OpenInkpot for use on my BeBook One, but I have just received my PocketBook 360 and wish to do the same here. But I can't seem to get into the FBReader application in PocketBook in order to following your instructions. How do I do this? Thanks. Jim
You have to edit it by hand in a text editor. Connect the device to your PC, Mac, Linux box, whatever. Then browse (or use your command line) to the device folder location as follows (slight error given above ):

<Letter>:\system\config\ (Windo$e)

/Volumes/<device name>/system/config/ (Mac, Linux)

In there you will find a file called "styles.xml" - make a backup then open it with a simple text editor (Notepad, TextEdit, etc.) and make any changes you need. For me, I made the following simple changes (personal preferences as to how you like your books displayed ):

<style id="4" name="Subtitle" bold="true" alignment="center" allowHyphenations="false"/>
- I added the alignment="center" for FB2 Subtitle tags

<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="28" allowHyphenations="true"/>
- I increased first line indent to 28

That was it for me. Just save the "styles.xml" file (I kept a backup of the original as "_styles.txt" prior to making any changes, just in case I screwed it up royally! ).

Et voila!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #40
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

orwell2k: Thanks. Looks reasonably do-able. What I did with the FBReader formatting in OpenInkpot was to remove paragraph first-line indents and substitute a line between paragraphs to emulate my preferred Mobipocket format. My editing produced an instruction somewhat like this (as provided me by another friendly MR forum member):

<option name="Regular Paragraph:spaceBefore" value="11"/>

I hope something like that will work on my PocketBook 360.

Thanks and regards, Jim
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #41
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Anybody have tips/tricks for downloading, installing, and editing themes?
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #42
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
<option name="Regular Paragraph:spaceBefore" value="11"/>

I hope something like that will work on my PocketBook 360.
I have used spaceAfter.
It worked.
You just have a look at the config file and see examples in other styles. For me it was obvious what is the necessary format of config entries and I have made my tweaks on the first try.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #43
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have used spaceAfter.
It worked.
You just have a look at the config file and see examples in other styles. For me it was obvious what is the necessary format of config entries and I have made my tweaks on the first try.
Thanks. I was able to modify everything fine, although I still prefer the "spaceBefore" instruction. I want to THINK I have the space established from the very beginning, although in practice there may be no difference between either instruction.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #44
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Thanks. I was able to modify everything fine, although I still prefer the "spaceBefore" instruction. I want to THINK I have the space established from the very beginning, although in practice there may be no difference between either instruction.
So is spaceBefore="N" a valid command to use? - just for my own interest, in case I need it later...
Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #45
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
So is spaceBefore="N" a valid command to use? - just for my own interest, in case I need it later...
As it works, we have to assume it's valid. At one time, with my OpenInkpot on my BeBook, I used both instructions -- "spaceBefore" and "spaceAfter" -- splitting the space number designation in half, and that worked, too.