Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #31
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm almost done with Royal Assassin and I've been told that Assassin's Quest is the best of the Farseer Trilogy. So I am definately looking forward tot hat one after I read a few other books (mostly short stories).
I can't recommend Robin Hobb's novels enough! Especially if you are looking for character driven fantasy you won't find anything better. The further adventures of Fitz in the Tawny Man Trilogy are not to be missed. I would also recommend The Soldier Son Trilogy that she wrote, and which seems to be set in a different world, or at least a different time from her earlier series.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #32
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet is an excellent Fantasy character study. The first novel is a tad rough around the edges (his first published novel). As far as character-driven, I really enjoy the fact that things are not cut and dried (the bad guys aren't PURE evil, the good guys aren't saints). And as the series goes on, the characters undergo genuine change.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #33
Tinwolf
Greasy biker
Tinwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Be-book, Jetbook, Kindle
I love the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, they are SF but very big on characters/situations and low on the typical "wizz bang" SF factor.

Also SF and very big on characters is the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons although these aren`t (legally) available in any e-book format yet
Tinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinwolf View Post
I love the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, they are SF but very big on characters/situations and low on the typical "wizz bang" SF factor.

Also SF and very big on characters is the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons although these aren`t (legally) available in any e-book format yet

Foundation is in ebook ? Never mind I found it...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #35
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWriter View Post
Hi Folks,

The last few novels I've picked up have been duds, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

I gravitate toward fantasy, but Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books (SF) are among my favorites, so I'm game to try character-driven SF, too. Action, adventure, mystery, snarky heroes... all loves of mine. I definitely prefer lands far, far away to urban earth-based stuff.

Any reading suggestions?

Thanks!
Have you read her Challion and Sharing Knife series? Highly recommended.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #36
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley is a revisitation of the Arthurian legend, seen mainly from the perspectives of women. The female characters (Morgane, Viviane and Guenievre) are extremely well developed, with their qualities and flaws, their expectations and disappointments (not that the male characters are not well described, mind you).

It's one of my favorite books.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
C.J. Cherryh Foreigner series has interesting characters
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #38
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I can recommend The Ethos Effect by L. E. Modesitt Jr. (Sci-Fi). It's character driven and revolves (at least from a story standpoint) around the main character Commander Van Albert. Unfortunately, this particular Modesitt novel is only sold in paperback. If you like The Ethos Effect, then you could try reading the related novel The Eternity Artifact which also takes place in roughly the same universe.

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-25-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #39
rtype
Enthusiast
rtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litter

Device: none
I Enjoyed the Richard Morgan Takeshi Kovacs series, also Market Forces, Black Man
all have strong central characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...)#Bibliography
rtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #40
gstealer
gstealer is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Nook Color (rooted)
New poster here awaiting my 1st E-reader and doing research

I havent seen them listed yet, but I liked the John Ringo - Posleen series that starts here:

Book 1: A Hymn Before Battle
Book 2: Gust Front
Book 3: When the Devil Dances

Many of them are available on the Baen website.
gstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstealer View Post
I havent seen them listed yet, but I liked the John Ringo - Posleen series that starts here:

Book 1: A Hymn Before Battle
Book 2: Gust Front
Book 3: When the Devil Dances

Many of them are available on the Baen website.
Actually, ALL of them are available at at Baen's ebook store, http://www.webscription.net/c-33-leg...ohn-ringo.aspx

And nearly all of them are available (free, and with the publisher's blessing) on the Eye of the Storm CD at the excellent Fifth Imperium site.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/18-EyeoftheStormCD/

If you like the books it's considered polite (but not compulsory), to buy the Eye of the Storm ebook ($6). http://www.webscription.net/p-993-eye-of-the-storm.aspx
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #42
gstealer
gstealer is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Nook Color (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Actually, ALL of them are available at at Baen's ebook store, http://www.webscription.net/c-33-leg...ohn-ringo.aspx

And nearly all of them are available (free, and with the publisher's blessing) on the Eye of the Storm CD at the excellent Fifth Imperium site.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/18-EyeoftheStormCD/

If you like the books it's considered polite (but not compulsory), to buy the Eye of the Storm ebook ($6). http://www.webscription.net/p-993-eye-of-the-storm.aspx
I hadn't seen that Thanks..
I read the 1st ones from the website and bought a couple more at the stores.
gstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #43
Scamper
Scamper began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
My votes go for the Culture novels and Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.
Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #44
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Try Gordon Dickson's Dorsai series. Donal in Dorsai itself and Hal Mayne in the Final Encyclopedia combine charcter and military fiction very nicely. Also Tam Oran in Soldier ask not.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #45
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Anne McCaffrey's 'Planet Pirates' series may cover a couple hundred years, but there is one character that runs through it all, tying it together. And 3-4 other equally interesting characters that back her up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Pirates_Series
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote