Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
peggynek
Enthusiast
peggynek began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What convertor/creator for ePub

Hello guys,
please, can you tell me, which convertor or creator I should use for creating proper ePub books? I need output for Sony PRS-505.

Yes, I know that Calibre does ePub, but it doesn't embed fonts to ePub.

Yes, I know that Calibre does LRF and does embed fonts to it, but it doesn't work properly for few czech/slovak letters. It works for most letters, but not for all. In czech language it is quite fine, but slovak language uses those letter very frequently.

Yes, I know that InDesign CS4 creates nice ePub files with embedded fonts, but it is like shooting of stupid small mouse with some powerful gun.

Yes, I know that I can modify PRS-505 with Unicode fonts and so on, but I don't want hack it at all. I want to use something officially "allowed".

Requirements:
1. Proper fonts embedding
2. Nice ePub output
3. Easy to use
4. Low price (free of charge it the best)
5. Mac or Win (I have both)

Thank you very much for your ideas.
peggynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggynek View Post
Hello guys,
please, can you tell me, which convertor or creator I should use for creating proper ePub books? I need output for Sony PRS-505.

Yes, I know that Calibre does ePub, but it doesn't embed fonts to ePub.

Yes, I know that Calibre does LRF and does embed fonts to it, but it doesn't work properly for few czech/slovak letters. It works for most letters, but not for all. In czech language it is quite fine, but slovak language uses those letter very frequently.

Yes, I know that InDesign CS4 creates nice ePub files with embedded fonts, but it is like shooting of stupid small mouse with some powerful gun.

Yes, I know that I can modify PRS-505 with Unicode fonts and so on, but I don't want hack it at all. I want to use something officially "allowed".

Requirements:
1. Proper fonts embedding
2. Nice ePub output
3. Easy to use
4. Low price (free of charge it the best)
5. Mac or Win (I have both)

Thank you very much for your ideas.

Try Escape and Ecub from the stickeys at the top of the epub forum. They are simple and good for basic text based books. I have begun to use them myself.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
peggynek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Try Escape and Ecub from the stickeys at the top of the epub forum. They are simple and good for basic text based books. I have begun to use them myself.
Hi,
thank you for your reply, but Ecub doesn't embed fonts.
I have to look at Escape. I don't know this software, yet.

Anyway, thank you for your effort.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
peggynek
Enthusiast

As I can see, also eScape is not right software for me. I really need font embedding, because of unsupported letters.
Guys, do you know other software besides eScape, Ecub, Calibre and InDesign (which is by far the best soft for it from this list for very premium price)?

Thank you
Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you can do is generate the ePub and then open up the ePub and add in the font support to the CSS and the fonts to the ePub if you are embedding. With the 505/700, we don't have to embed the fonts we normally use. We can just install them on the reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you can do is generate the ePub and then open up the ePub and add in the font support to the CSS and the fonts to the ePub if you are embedding. With the 505/700, we don't have to embed the fonts we normally use. We can just install them on the reader.
that is a very good suggestion. for detailed instructions about how to add css for fonts, see this thread.

the css can be edited manually in a css editor like dreamweaver or in any text editor (notepad, etc.). also, you can add css font rules to your conversion defaults (in the css override box) in calibre, which makes it very simple.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
IGP:FLIP - ePub, plus Print, Plus Online and others

As you have discovered, eScape doesn't embed fonts, but a bit of manual work would allow that - but that is not the answer for you.

If you are a tough, committed, ePub producer you can try IGP:FLIP (Front List Interactive Publishing), which does everything, including embedding fonts if you have the nerve - there is a learning curve. You can give it a try here. We are currently running it for free to debug and have a number of European language self-publishers using the beta version. One day we are thinking of a SaaS fee of $19.95 per month, but that is only on the drawing board, so use it while its free.

There are a number of tutorials which I suggest you go through to get the hang of it before jumping in, but it works like a rocket. We have 100 seats and 200 people creating advanced ePubs for major publishers around the world with this application every day, including highly customized, font-embedded books. If you feel you can use it, we can create you a custom portal to keep your content private.

There is no tutorial on font embedding at present so that is a bit mystical. After an initial look, if you are interested in giving it a try, we will put up a font embedding tutorial.

Since it is browser based, Mac and Win are fine if you are using Firefox or Safari (Safari is good because it displays embedded fonts in the Online QC mode). Of course IE anything doesn't work at this level of standards compliance so don't even try.

If you are doing Slovak all the time we can create a number of standard templates so you don't have to go through the embedding routine every time, it will happen automatically.

Anyway let me know if you are interested after a look.
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Or you can wait a few weeks at which time calibre will allow you to embed fonts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
peggynek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Or you can wait a few weeks at which time calibre will allow you to embed fonts.
Ohh, this is great news. I will use InDesign in the meantime, but once Calibre will support font embedding I will switch to it.