Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Question New DR1000S to come today

Hello,

my DR1000s will be delivered tody so I want to ask the community:

What should I NOT do first?

And - what did you do first?

Greetings
Thorsten
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Be careful while unpacking it. I almost dropped the device on the floor. ;-)
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What you should do:
  1. Fully charge the Reader.
  2. Update the firmware.
  3. Copy a few books which you want to read.
  4. Install a dictionary. I recommend Webster's 1913 and Wordnet.
  5. Start reading!
One thing you shouldn't do is attempt to use the companion software for anything but merging scribbles since it does next to nothing at this stage.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Instead of Webster's 1913 dictionary I'd recommend getting Microsoft Encarta dictionary.

If you're not sure where to get free ebooks from, check http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/ out.

Last edited by owl123; 02-27-2009 at 07:38 AM.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I'd also consider installing the fbreader app that Adam ported as it gives greater flexability to the DR1000.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
OK, yesterday at 1700 the bell rung and the device was here!

First of all, I tried to load the device. This didn't work untill I pressed the reset-button. OK, nothing new.

Sometime in the night, the charging was completed, so that I could start the update. Meanwhile this has finished.

Now I will load some books, some free from the library of MR, some not so free ;-)

A question about the recommended dictionaries - they are in english, aren't they? So I have to search für a german one... ;-)

Thank you all for the hints. I will do my very best. 8-)
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
A question about the recommended dictionaries - they are in english, aren't they? So I have to search für a german one... ;-)
Correct.

Congratulations on getting your new reader. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
heatherd
heatherd began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 1000s
Have a new Iliad 1000s -- most interested in notetaking function. Have a MAC. Can I transfer notes to MAC via pdf? Can I transfer PDF from Mac to Iliad?
heatherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherd View Post
Have a new Iliad 1000s -- most interested in notetaking function. Have a MAC. Can I transfer notes to MAC via pdf? Can I transfer PDF from Mac to Iliad?
For copying PDFs from Mac to DR1000 there are 2 options
1. connect dr1000 to mac with a USB cable. A dialog pops up on the DR that asks you if you want the computer to manage files. Click yes. Now you'll see a new drive on the Mac that represents the DR1000's SD card. Drag pdfs to it. Eject the drive, then disconnect cable. On the DR1000 you see the SD card under the heading "Documents"

2. Eject the SD card from the DR by using the menu entry on the main menu (called "safely remove", bottom row, 2nd from left).
connect the card to the mac with a card reader. Copy the pdfs to it. Eject from the mac, and put it back in the DR.

To transfer notes back to the Mac, first download the software from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32602
somewhere on page 3 or so is the version for the Mac.
Connect the SD to the mac with one of the two options above. Navigate in the finder to the PDF on which you scribbled. Drag the PDF from the finder to the icon of the app you downloaded. After the program is done, a new PDF appears, that has "merged" in the filename. Copy this PDF back to your Mac (and delete is from the reader if you want).

Last edited by ghostwheel; 03-01-2009 at 02:06 AM.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
heatherd

Illiad Notetaking - using MAC

Hi,

What PDF Converter software do you recommend to use for the MAC -- any type better for interfacing with Iliad?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
heatherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
For copying PDFs from Mac to DR1000 there are 2 options
1. connect dr1000 to mac with a USB cable. A dialog pops up on the DR that asks you if you want the computer to manage files. Click yes. Now you'll see a new drive on the Mac that represents the DR1000's SD card. Drag pdfs to it. Eject the drive, then disconnect cable. On the DR1000 you see the SD card under the heading "Documents"

2. Eject the SD card from the DR by using the menu entry on the main menu (called "safely remove", bottom row, 2nd from left).
connect the card to the mac with a card reader. Copy the pdfs to it. Eject from the mac, and put it back in the DR.

To transfer notes back to the Mac, first download the software from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32602
somewhere on page 3 or so is the version for the Mac.
Connect the SD to the mac with one of the two options above. Navigate in the finder to the PDF on which you scribbled. Drag the PDF from the finder to the icon of the app you downloaded. After the program is done, a new PDF appears, that has "merged" in the filename. Copy this PDF back to your Mac (and delete is from the reader if you want).
Is his software realitively easy to install on a mac? I am not that savy when it comes to installation? Which version do I install? What is the difference between this and the other "myscriptnotes"
Old 03-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherd View Post
Is his software realitively easy to install on a mac? I am not that savy when it comes to installation? Which version do I install? What is the difference between this and the other "myscriptnotes"
I don't know. I haven't tried other software.
as for installation, as far as I know, you just download the file, unzip it, and place the app in your Applications folder.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
heatherd, do you have an iLiad or a DR1000S? The iLiad has 8.1" screen, the DR1000S has 10.2" screen. Scribbles are managed differently.

MyScript Notes is designed to convert iLiad scribbles to text on a PC.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
heatherd

DRS1000s -- is there handwriting recognition software for this that can be transferred back to the MAC to manipulate?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Heatherd,
There is nothing for the MAC as far as I am aware.
Although there are now MAC programmes to enable you to merge your scribbles etc into pdf docs, you cannot then do handwriting recognition on them with anything from iRex. The Myscript programme is Windows only. I have wondered whether to get it and run it on parallels, but to be honest, I'm reasonably happy with just the scribbled notes. After all, that is how I write but it isn't very neat...

There are scanner style applications for the MAC that can do a recognition, but these look expensive and as far as I can recall there was only one available, sorry I can't recall which, but I dare say a search on Google or whatever would eventually find it.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote