Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Isn't Vicki Pettersen's "Signs of the Zodiac" series about demons? I don't like dark fantasy when it gets too dark, and I'd heard this series was dark dark dark, so I passed on it. But I haven't read it, so I can't give you personal impressions.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #17
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory was one of my best discoveries in 2010.
This looks pretty good. I checked it on goodreads and sure looks like it fits the bill. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopy View Post
I don't watch Supernatural but if you're looking for a book that has demons and is grim/dark/gritty, I would recommend The Demon Trilogy by Peter V. Brett. The 3rd book of the trilogy will be coming out next year.
Thanks a lot, I was planning to read it (some of my friends read it), but haven't really checked the synopsis till now and its a perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Do you like novelizations? There are several Supernatural novels out that take place in and around the television series. You can search Amazon for them. I think most are available as Kindle versions.
I checked this out, its not my thing, I like originals always much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Take a look at Jonathan Maberry's 'Ghost Road Blues' trilogy.
This is my kinda thing. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe
Its an interesting concept and on my plan to read list, but its not really what I want now. But thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I quite liked a book by David Michael called The Summoning Fire. It's not a huge book at only about 200 pages, but I found it pretty dark and well-written.
I can't remember there being any humour in this. It's pretty grim.
Hmmm....it has pretty good rating on goodreads but kinda sketchy synopsis. I may give it a go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Isn't Supernatural humorous at times? I understand that's TV and you're looking for books, but still...

I would think Richard Kadrey's "Sandman Slim" books would be right up any Supernatural fan's alley, but there is a bit of gallows humor and snark that comes with it.
It is. But that is not its undertone or main theme. Sometimes, there is a funny scene/joke to break up the tension and that suits me just fine in TV show. BUT, I dont like such things in the books I read. Clearer now?
I will give it a go to test it. I might like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Don't they have quite a bit of nudge-nudge wink-wink gay innuendo in that show? Can't remember where I got that from but it was floating around somewhere. I haven't really watched the show myself. Is it good?
Little I think. But then again I'm on season 2 only.
Its pretty good so far. Give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Checked it on goodreads, sorry to say, but doesn't look like my cup of tea with this female cop as lead. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Your avatar looks like The Witcher. Have you read any of the books in that series? The first two (The Last Wish and Blood of Elves)are translated into English, and the third translation (Times of Contempt) is due this coming February.
It is Geralt
I have read them. Though it doesnt have anything to do with my request, glad to stumble upon another Sapkowski fan. Though I wonder where did you get the information that its due in february 2013? Bookdepository says its due in June 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Isn't Vicki Pettersen's "Signs of the Zodiac" series about demons? I don't like dark fantasy when it gets too dark, and I'd heard this series was dark dark dark, so I passed on it. But I haven't read it, so I can't give you personal impressions.
The darker the better in my case
But somehow this didnt catch me or engage me reading the short synopsis. But

Last edited by Geralt; 12-11-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #18
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Not really, though the protagonists are demon-like. It's about a world where there are superheroes and really nasty super villains based on the signs of the Zodiac. Gritty, dark and different Urban Fantasy. http://www.vickipettersson.com/books...of-the-zodiac/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
It is Geralt
I have read them. Though it doesnt have anything to do with my request, glad to stumble upon another Sapkowski fan. Though I wonder where did you get the information that its due in february 2013? Bookdepository says its due in June 2013.
I got the release date from http://www.amazon.ca/The-Time-Contem.../dp/0575085088. Your link depresses me, because the early dates are seldom right. Bah!

Edit: Perhaps the difference is due to the Amazon copy being hardcover, and the Bookdepository one being paperback.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-11-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added note about format
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'd say try the Monster Hunter International series I liked them and their not a million miles away from supernatural.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #21
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Not really, though the protagonists are demon-like. It's about a world where there are superheroes and really nasty super villains based on the signs of the Zodiac. Gritty, dark and different Urban Fantasy. http://www.vickipettersson.com/books...of-the-zodiac/
Oh. Not what I thought at all. I don't care for superhero books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not in ebooks AFAIK, but Liz Willams Inspector Chen is very good.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote