Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
purplepancake
Nameless Being

Which ebook Software reader?

Hi

Not interested in the hardware per se, just the software application.

Would be interested to read which software you guys prefer for reading ebooks?

Yes I realise some are not cross platform or are machine limited - BUT if you could use your choice on a tablet what would it be and why?

Call it a fantasy if you like
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Coolreader is nice, supports mobi and epub, has TTS, and screen colors (text and background) can be fully adjusted. Don't think there is a ios version.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
anandg46
anandg46 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Agree. Look no further. I found it to be the best.And it is free.
anandg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Coolreader is nice, supports mobi and epub, has TTS, and screen colors (text and background) can be fully adjusted. Don't think there is a ios version.
What dictionaries does it support? Are they are comprehensive as, say, the excellent dictionaries one has in the Kindle app? I find a good dictionary to be an essential part of reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What dictionaries does it support? Are they are comprehensive as, say, the excellent dictionaries one has in the Kindle app? I find a good dictionary to be an essential part of reading.
I never said coolreader was perfect. And OP never asked for a complete feature list. I personally use the Kindle app, for sync feature with my other kindles, but unless you already have mobi books, or other kindles, or you plan to make amazon your bookstore (not a bad idea) then the kindle app might not be the best choice.

As for dictionary support - coolreader supports android dictionary applications such as fora, color dict, aard, and dictan. I don't use a dictionary with my coolreader, so could not tell you what quality they are - more than likely worse than kindle. Seeing in other threads how other ereader devices lack the nice dictionarys of kindles, the kindle app might be the best app if a good quality offline dictionary is desired.

And by the way, HarryT, you could have addressed the OP and say that in your opinion the Kindle App is much better for its free downloadable dictonaries. Unless I misread your post, you appear to attack me for not mentioning dictionaries - hard to read tone of voice when only reading text.
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And by the way, HarryT, you could have addressed the OP and say that in your opinion the Kindle App is much better for its free downloadable dictonaries. Unless I misread your post, you appear to attack me for not mentioning dictionaries - hard to read tone of voice when only reading text.
I wasn't attacking anybody. I know absolutely nothing about Coolreader and my question was asking exactly what it appeared to be: ie, what is dictionary support like in Coolreader?

I don't think the Kindle app on Android is particularly good; it lacks any form of organisational capability which is a real nuisance. But dictionary support is one thing that it does do well. I'd love to find a decent reading app which does dictionaries as well as the Kindle app does.

No need to read sinister undertones into innocent questions .
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I love Coolreader! There is some dictionary support... Fora Dictionary, I think? I never really used it much.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I wasn't attacking anybody. I know absolutely nothing about Coolreader and my question was asking exactly what it appeared to be: ie, what is dictionary support like in Coolreader?

I don't think the Kindle app on Android is particularly good; it lacks any form of organisational capability which is a real nuisance. But dictionary support is one thing that it does do well. I'd love to find a decent reading app which does dictionaries as well as the Kindle app does.

No need to read sinister undertones into innocent questions .
Apology accepted. I know how you normally post, and it threw me off a bit - but I did try to answer calmly. If i failed, I apologize myself.

You mentioned organizational lack of Kindle app (yes it is really bad) almost same could be said about coolreader unless you organize in folders. It only reads folder structure - which can be a big plus if you want to drag and drop a organized folder system directly onto tab/phone. Another very popular reader is Aldiko, which has a fancy shelf (the usual wood kind) and can organize into collections. There is however no tts support. Advantage of Aldiko is support for adobe drm, even though drm support or lack thereof is just a minor nuisance if you got Alf, Mary, or Jesus as friends. I kinda like Aldiko, but the main reading screen in full-screen is always only text - which might be fine most of the time. Coolreader for instance lets you optional show a header with title, author, position (in % or page) and time + battery meter - if setup with a small font (mine is 12 point i think) the header is really small and blends in better than running in non-full screen with normal Android header.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Well as we are talking software, I personally use Manatano on all my Android devices.

Its Library organisation skills as pretty good and with a small investment in time, you can arrange them far easier and most other Android readers.

The formatting of the book is excellent and pretty much matches what was intented by the creator.

It also has a cloud syncing option (although this requires a small annual charge).

It does have dictionary support as well, but I've never used it.

As an aside, I've never understood the appeal of dictionary support in ebooks. I've never used - or expected to use - a dictionary with a paper book, so why should I change that with ebooks? I just don't get it.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
cool reader for ebooks and repligo for pdf...both on android...sometimes im using aldiko..
at the same time im puzzled by poor choice of ebook and pdf readers for ios...1 million apps blah blah blah, what a waste...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
cool reader for ebooks and repligo for pdf...both on android...sometimes im using aldiko..
at the same time im puzzled by poor choice of ebook and pdf readers for ios...1 million apps blah blah blah, what a waste...
That is because Apple only wants you to use iBooks.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #12
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Honestly just try them all out until you find one you like. It's easy enough to download all the apps and just trying them.

I just use the nook app, I find that it fits my needs, and I picked B&N as my ebook store so that helps too.
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is because Apple only wants you to use iBooks.
which is crap. reading pdf magazines is like watching slooow focusing camera, words and pictures becomes sharp after a good while...and it s the best tablet experience in the world
Old 11-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
I totally disagree. There are a number of excellent ePub and PDF readers for iOS. "Goodreader" is a fantastic PDF app, both in terms of reading and annotation, and Bluefire reader does a great job with ePub.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
I totally disagree. There are a number of excellent ePub and PDF readers for iOS. "Goodreader" is a fantastic PDF app, both in terms of reading and annotation, and Bluefire reader does a great job with ePub.
does any of them can zoom pdf page till the border of the visible screen and stay that way, without need to zoom every next page again? repligo for android can...for me it's the most improtant feauture im looking for in pdf reader...