Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Question Remove title bar when reading?

Is it possible to remove the title bar when reading a book (e.g., the line at the top which includes the name of the book)? It seems a waste of valuable reading space - heck if I can't remember what book I am reading, and I can't tell from THE ACTUAL WORDS I AM READING, then why bother reading anything at all, if all books merge into the same mish-mash?

If it is not possible to get rid of the title bar, then perhaps Kobo will be kind enough to add an option to remove it in a future firmware release?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
It is not shown for side-loaded epubs, so you could use that to work around it.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
It is not shown for side-loaded epubs, so you could use that to work around it.
Oh goody, that is probably what I will use anyway. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I don't like that header either. Granted, you sometimes get them in "real" books, but hardly ever in fiction... My eyes seem to always automatically drift to that header when I turn the page, as if it were the first line. Such a waste of time and eye movement and annoyance. And yes, therefore (among some other reasons) I use epubs instead of kepubs, even when I bought the book from Kobo.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard

But why do Kobo treat one differently to the other? Hard to explain...presumably Kobo want kepubs to be the "premier" experience, but it has something daft like this.
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good question. I've no idea... Perhaps they don't quite get what users like... Or perhaps we're abnormal users and others do enjoy the kobo formatting? In any case, I don't understand why it can't be switched off. Same goes for the ugly page numbers per chapter... Stupid system in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
greens
Connoisseur
greens began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I ask you if I have understand well, please? (I do not speak english very well, I'm very sorry).

Do the Kobo Glo show the page in real full screen mode only with K-pub files? But with normal e-pub and other formats it show a ugly bar on the top?

If yes, can a normal epub be converted to K-pub to solve this issues?

Thanks for your help and your kindness friends!
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
ShellShock
Wizard

greens - treadlighty said it is the other way round:

"normal" epub file - no bar at the top
kepub files - bar at the top

If you buy a epub from Kobo it will be in your Kobo library on the Kobo web site, which means that if you sync the Glo it will download the book as a kepub to the Glo. You can stop this and manually download the book as a normal epub which you copy to the Glo (e.g., using Calibre). See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194173 on how to stop automatic syncing of books in your Kobo library.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
@greens:

Kepub = ugly bar at the top
Epub = no bar at the top

Edit:
@ShellShock: you won

Last edited by Koboyashi; 10-18-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
greens
Connoisseur
greens began at the beginning.

Device: none
Really thank you friends! I hope that Kobo team will solve this issue in the next firmware updates.
Do you believe that they can read our threads? That would be a very fast way to understand what costumers are asking for, maybe (but I cannot know if it would be the best solution). Bye!
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
They do read these forums, and yet I'm not sure removing this bar deserves to be a very high priority item...
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Greens, the "Bar" this thread is about is not a bug and it's not a "problem." The "bar" is actually only one small line of small text above the actual book page. The text is the title of the book I think, or the chapter title or something. You can see an example of it here:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....9/dsc02708.jpg