Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
justincoe
justincoe has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505 amd PRS-600
Just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1 for my Windows 7 home premium, x64. The Reader Library works fine with the Windows 7 in all default settings.
justincoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you delete the kinoma folder?

BOb
Never heard of it. Located it. Deleted and no change.

And to answer someone else's question: Win7 Ultimate, x64. No Comodo.

The only thing I think I found was a couple traces of an appcompat complaint in the event log. If Sony does indeed have a new binary coming out tonight to correct this issue, I'll wait.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyrick View Post
Just chatted with Sony support since I lost the store software when downloading the update. My vista system hangs giving error code 1935 and the tech said to wait until tonight or in the morning to download the update when the rollout is complete. The system is still updating....so I will wait. Also said to delete all older version of the bookstore.

Now the real question, why make somthing available when it is not completely ready? Way to go SONY!
If what you have is a bunch of cloned server farm sitting in various centers across the globe, then propagating changes to all of them can indeed take a long time. This is not an uncommon phenomenon, since it protects against natural disasters, and also distributes the regional network loads such that, hopefully, you're talking to someone near you rather than on the far side of the planet.

Could they do it differently? Like maybe propagate to a hidden sandbox until all servers at all centers are updated, and then flip a switch to change which version visitors are sent to (a much faster operation than coping a vast number of files, including now all the epub versions of the books).. yes, they could. I don't know of anybody off-hand who does.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
Never heard of it. Located it. Deleted and no change.

And to answer someone else's question: Win7 Ultimate, x64. No Comodo.

The only thing I think I found was a couple traces of an appcompat complaint in the event log. If Sony does indeed have a new binary coming out tonight to correct this issue, I'll wait.
Next thing to do is to stop everything that you have running on start up that is not part of Win 7. That also includes any services that are not part of Win 7. What you want when Win 7 finishes booting is nothing in memory that did not come from Win 7 or is part of Reader Library. Then try Reader Library and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:21 AM   #20
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Next thing to do is to stop everything that you have running on start up that is not part of Win 7. That also includes any services that are not part of Win 7. What you want when Win 7 finishes booting is nothing in memory that did not come from Win 7 or is part of Reader Library. Then try Reader Library and see what happens.
And that's what you got on my machine, to be honest. Its startup is about as stock as it can get and still be considered protected. Anything that's running, *should* be running. If Sony's software is balking at any of that, then the problem is squarely *Sony's* to correct. They aren't paying me to be their compatibility testing team

And, let's face it. We were running the prior version on the pre-betas of Win7, without issue beyond the occasional reader-starts-taking-up-100%-cpu problem, which was corrected before RTM, and my machine at that point was definitely not in as good a shape as it is now.

The appcompat entries in the event log concern me. That makes it sound as if Sony's making some unorthodox request of the OS (eg, some outdated dll) and the OS is freaking out over it. I'd have to fire off an email to the windows PMs to determine what if anything would lead to this.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is odd. I've never had an issue with eBook Library or Reader Library on XP, Vista, or Win 7.

I do have one suggestion... try running Reader Library as administrator. Right click the icon on the desktop and select run as administrator and see what happens.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #22
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
That is odd. I've never had an issue with eBook Library or Reader Library on XP, Vista, or Win 7.

I do have one suggestion... try running Reader Library as administrator. Right click the icon on the desktop and select run as administrator and see what happens.
That was one of the *first* things I did, because I know devs can be stupid like that and develop as admin (bad! naughty!)

If they dropped new bits last night, they didn't do anything useful for me.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Try right clicking on the Reader Library on the desktop and selecting run as administrator and see what happens.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #24
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
Try right clicking on the Reader Library on the desktop and selecting run as administrator and see what happens.
Uses up about 8M of ram and then goes away.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
Uses up about 8M of ram and then goes away.
One other suggestion, try turning off UAC and see what happens.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #26
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
I have tried every suggestion in this thread, and every suggestion I can find on every other thread concerning reader 3.0 and 3.1 not starting and can say for certain that nothing is working in my case--even after several uninstalls, reinstalls and registry cleanings.

Start the program, nothing appears on the desktop, but a reader process can be spotted in task manager>services. Windows Vista. Reader 3.0 used to work fine, stopped working one day on its own, and nothing I can do will bring 3.0 or 3.1 back.

IThis software is useless to me.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #27
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
With me the Ext2fsd (used to see my linux partion in windows) was the problem.
I had it set to mount my linux partion as drive d: when Vista booted up. It uses some sort of registery hook to perform this magic. Whatever it was doing, Sony's Reader Library didn't like it. You'd hit the Icon and the hard-drive light would flash away, but nothing would show, it'd just hang there in memory.

Since the hard-drive light was flashing I figured I'd try unmounting my linux partion. Low and behold the Reader Library started up just fine.

If I manually mount the linux partion with the ext2fsd software, not using the registry hook, the Reader Library doesn't care and starts just fine. The problem seems to have something to do with the drive being registered as a DosDevice when mounting on boot with the registry?

This was with Windows Vista Home Basic.

I realize these are fairly particular circumstances, but who knows, maybe someone will find it useful.

Last edited by yargoflick; 12-14-2009 at 03:16 PM.
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio View Post
Start the program, nothing appears on the desktop, but a reader process can be spotted in task manager>services. Windows Vista. Reader 3.0 used to work fine, stopped working one day on its own, and nothing I can do will bring 3.0 or 3.1 back.

IThis software is useless to me.
I see you are in Brazil. What language OS are you using and what region is it set to?

I know there was a similar issue with the Mac version when the region wasn't set to US/English or Canada/English.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #29
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
One other suggestion, try turning off UAC and see what happens.
As expected (and as it should be).. nothing.

I even attemped a system restore to the point before the upgrade, and even the old version failed. I've got an email to their tech support. This is unacceptable behavior. If nothing else, it *should* have left some event log message if something faulted.

If I have to wipe this machine, I'll be sorely tempted to wipe Sony as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #30
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see you are in Brazil. What language OS are you using and what region is it set to?

I know there was a similar issue with the Mac version when the region wasn't set to US/English or Canada/English.

BOb
Thanks for the advice.

I'm using an English version of Vista. I will play with the region settings to see if it makes a difference. The strange thing is, 3.0 used to work just fine on that computer, now neither 3 nor 3.1 will work.

I have installed 3.1 on another Vista machine, and it seems to be working. So I guess I'll be using that one if I need access to the Sony store. Otherwise it's Calibre for me, which works just fine. And, of course, other ebook stores.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, experience, software, sony