Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Linux

Has anyone used a kindle with Linux? I have recently converted my main computer from Windows 7 to Linux Ubuntu and let me tell you this OS is a lot faster than Windows, however that is a topic for a linux forum. Do Kindles work with Linux, or will I need to go get one of my Windows computers to work with my kindle?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
murphycc
murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Are you referring to connecting with a PW?

I run Ubuntu 12.04 and have had no problems with the Kindle Touch. Though I don't really know what you mean when you ask whether it "works" with Linux, as there isn't much that they do with each other. Linux just recognizes it as a USB client.

When plugged in, I can browse my KT directory. I can run the Calibre ebook manager/converter with it too, and use the 'send to ereader' option in the program.
murphycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
No I am not however your second paragraph is the infromation that I have been looking for.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Works fine with the Kindle Keyboard using Debian Squeeze (Linux distribution that Ubuntu is based on). I just mount it and it recognises it as a removable storage device. Depending on the desktop you're using, it should just pop-up an icon on the desktop when connected and you'll be able to mount or eject from that (I use the console myself for such things, so forgive me if I'm not precise with the desktop way of doing these things).
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
I'm currently using Ubuntu 12.10 with my Paperwhite & Kindle Fire (1st Gen). I've used previous versions of Ubuntu with the Kindle Keyboard and Fire. I've never had any issues.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I have an old laptop running XP and Suse linux. Both work fine. Later, if you decide to hack your kindle a bit, SSHing into the kindle is easier from linux, as there are no pesky "Windows" line endings when you edit things. Either way, linux is fun and easy to use and compliments the linux running on you kindle very well, don't you think?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
I note that everything ever called a Kindle (e-reader, Fire, you name it) has always run Linux itself, and the developers at Amazon (lab126) use Linux -- so it is relatively unlikely that Linux support will ever go away.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Works fine as usb mass storage device though I simply use it with Calibre. I have not come across any issues.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle is designed to run regardless of your OS. Actually I don't connect it to the PC unless doing tasks like debrick or jailbreak (which you should not need to do often or even at all )
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
root@kindle:/# uname -a
Quote:
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Wed Dec 12 19:58:30 PST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux
Works fine with Linux. I do note that Slackware had some issues historically but that is in the past AFAIK. Ubuntu Mint is painless and fun with the kindles.

Given the right love you can configure Nautilus to browse your devices guts via Wifi SSH as a "Normal" folder. Now that's service : ) Helpful if you have a few lying around.

And yes. It's a LOT faster than winwoes.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Keep in mind that you cannot remove Adobe DRM in Linux, as Digital Editions must be installed alongside Calibre, and it must be activated. This did not work when using WINE to run ADE.

At least, this was the case about a year ago. There may now be a solution, but if there is, I've not encountered it yet.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Keep in mind that you cannot remove Adobe DRM in Linux, as Digital Editions must be installed alongside Calibre, and it must be activated. This did not work when using WINE to run ADE.

At least, this was the case about a year ago. There may now be a solution, but if there is, I've not encountered it yet.
I have had no problems with using the tools on Adobe DRM in Linux wine. I am using the old ADE, have not got the new ADE to work so far.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Are you running both Calibre and ADE in WINE? Last year, if you could find a WINE version that would work with both programs *and* would let you activate ADE, then it would all work. Splitting ADE and Calibre between WINE and Linux never worked, as Calibre could not "see" ADE's installation, as is (was?) required.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Are you running both Calibre and ADE in WINE? Last year, if you could find a WINE version that would work with both programs *and* would let you activate ADE, then it would all work. Splitting ADE and Calibre between WINE and Linux never worked, as Calibre could not "see" ADE's installation, as is (was?) required.
Ade, Kindle, and Nook for pc in wine1.5, calibre in linux. Using ubuntu 12.04 at this time. Yes my ADE is activated under wine. All tools from apprentice alf work.

How to install Adobe Digital Editions on Ubuntu 12.04 and use it with an e-book reader

I also have a non-activated copy of MSreader working under wine.

bernie

p.s. see this thread

Last edited by gbm; 01-30-2013 at 12:52 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I use Apprentice Alf's Calibre plugins on Ubuntu. I've removed DRM from ePub and Mobi files without any issues. I don't have Wine or ADE installed.

I don't think we've crossed the line yet, but might I remind people to be careful not to be too specific about DRM removal, lest we attract the attention of the mods?
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote