Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Best Bible app for a rooted NC

So what do people think? What's the best Bible app for a rooted Nook Color?

This was my primary reason for buying a NC and for rooting it.

Olivetree BibleReader
Olivetree BibleReader works well, though some of the footnotes are difficult to bring up due to the accuracy of the touch screen. So I find myself hitting the footnote identifier (the "a" or "1" etc) several time before it come up - actually this is really debilitating. Other than that Olivetree gives me complete access to all of the Bible resources that I purchased from Olivetree for my Palm TX (sold), iPaq 4700 (deceased) and my iTouch 4G (still in service). So a couple of hundred $'s of materials are still in use.

Not as good as the iOS version - doesn't do parrallel text - don't see backup function, navigation could be easier. Does notes, and you can add different icons to the notes for clarity and later review.

Cadre Bible
Works perfectly also, and has some great features such as notes, backups and parallel text. I do not have any Cadre Bibles loaded with footnotes to see how it works in comparison to Olivetree as yet. Also, I am having difficulty finding the command to turn off full screen. But the feature set looks great. It doesn't do the NAB yet - but apparently they are working on it.

Kindle...and I suppose the native B&N app. There are some great Bible out there that I trialled on my Kindle 3, but without a touchscreen, navigation was a pain. With the NC, I have a touch screen. I have the Ignatious Study Bible loaded. It is just the NT at the moment - but it is a fantastic RSV version with lots of commentary and by using the back key either in the OS or in the Kindle app, I can jump back to the text once I have viewed a noted. As whole words are the hyperlink, it is easy to use even with the lack of accuracy noted in the touchscreen. Of course on the downside, you have to switch into a new book / Bible / Commentary if you want to look at something else - rather than it being integrated as per the Cadre Bible or Olivetree.

LaridianThey are currently working on an Android version. No date as to when it will be released, but it cannot be many weeks off. This is one to look out for certainly.

So, does anyone else have any recommendations?

All the best,

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Justeboot
Justeboot began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
AcroBible is really nice too / A little pricy, but very well laid out...
Justeboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justeboot View Post
AcroBible is really nice too / A little pricy, but very well laid out...
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I do not have a rooted NC, but I do have two other Android devices... an 8" Android tablet and a HTC Desire phone. I've been able to try out around ten Bible apps on both. Here's what I've found:

If all you want is a simple ebook-style app to read the Bible, there's not much difference between any of them. They all do a similar job. But if you're wanting an in-depth tool for delving into deep and thorough studies, none of them measure up to what's offered on other platforms. At this point Android is about twelve years behind even the WinCe offerings! Surprisingly Olivetree's Android app doesn't come close to what they offered on WinCe six or seven years ago. Why?

The one app which I expected to be the powerhouse of the bunch is "The Bible Scholar". Unfortunately, it turned out to be such a memory hog that I never could get it to run on either my tablet or my phone... which are both good, powerful devices! It is the only Bible which I paid for (99cents on the market).

I do have a favorite so far. It is a free app called "BibleScope". It is well thought out and intuitive. It also provides the valuable split screen option which allows you to view a Bible and a commentary or dictionary to scroll with it... at the same time. On top of that, if you are using a Bible containing Strongs references, it automatically will pop-up that information on top of the second window! Every other app forces you into switching between these three areas, which is far more awkward and time-consuming.

So until Laridian releases their Bible, or another good one comes along, at this point in time I easily recommend BibleScope as the best.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
Surprisingly Olivetree's Android app doesn't come close to what they offered on WinCe six or seven years ago. Why?
I'm surprised to hear that. The OliveTree iPad app is very good, so that would have been an automatic recommendation from me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. The OliveTree iPad app is very good, so that would have been an automatic recommendation from me.
If you go to OliveTree's site and open the Android page and the Iphone/Ipad page side-by-side, you will see that the features of the Android version are less than half of what the iPhone version has.

I don't mean this in a hateful way but at this point OliveTree users with Android platform are being 'short changed' (LOL please). Their Android version is extremely basic. I'm an old OliveTree user going way back to the beginning, but until they offer a much, much improved Android version, their Bible app will get very little usage on my device.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm an old OliveTree user going way back to the beginning
Me too. I've used it since its very early Windows CE versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I am considering whether it would be useful for people if I were to convert OSNOVA Bible publications for Nook (see my website or this thread). So far I've abstained because I didn't think that I could any value to what is already out there for the Nook because OSNOVA editions rely heavily on the physical keyboard (for Direct Verse Jump feature) and the great search function of the hardware Kindles. I borrowed a rooted Nook and could see that even in the Kindle application some of the features (DVJ in particular) do not work. Also, I've noticed that some of the things have to be adjusted for the touchscreen (it's hard to hit the hyperlinked dot next to a differently hyperlinked number in the Matthew Henry's Commentary for example).
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
pphilipp
Addict

Here it is exactly two months after my previous post above.

I now have a new champ Bible app which I use most of the time. It is AndBible (Android Bible).
I also have it installed on my HTC phone. This is the only app I've ever tried which seems to work better on my tablet than on the phone!
One beauty of this app is it's apparent simplicity which in actuality offers quite a bit of power. It offers the one screen/window where your Bible text displays, but in the upper right corner you have two buttons which offer other Bible versions on one and Commentaries on the other. Tapping either button allows an instantaneous scrolling between all the Bibles or Commentaries you have installed. It's so much quicker and easier than the offering from OliveBible.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
jyams
jyams began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I use the YouVersion Bible. It's available on the Market as simply "Bible". The app installs locally but pulls down the text from it's website. You can, however, download different versions for free. I have downloaded the NIV, The Message, and New Living Translation. They offer reading plans for reading the Bible through in one year. The app keeps up with your readings and keeps everything in order. When you bookmark a passage, the app actually uploads it to the server. Anyway, when you download different versions, you don't have to be online to use it. With the Nook Color being wifi dependent, that comes in handy as I'm not always connected online via wifi. Hope this helps.

I Corinthians 14:40...
Life Verse: Phil 4:6-7

Last edited by jyams; 03-23-2011 at 04:02 PM.
jyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyams View Post
I use the YouVersion Bible. It's available on the Market as simply "Bible". The app installs locally but pulls down the text from it's website. You can, however, download different versions for free. I have downloaded the NIV, The Message, and New Living Translation. They offer reading plans for reading the Bible through in one year. The app keeps up with your readings and keeps everything in order. When you bookmark a passage, the app actually uploads it to the server. Anyway, when you download different versions, you don't have to be online to use it. With the Nook Color being wifi dependent, that comes in handy as I'm not always connected online via wifi. Hope this helps.

I Corinthians 14:40...
Life Verse: Phil 4:6-7
I have a variety of Bible apps for various platforms but I agree with you about YouVersion Bible. They even have an audio option for some translations... nice to be able to listen when reading is not possible.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
dmacscott
dmacscott began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Olive Tree has updated Android reader

Quote:
If you go to OliveTree's site and open the Android page and the Iphone/Ipad page side-by-side, you will see that the features of the Android version are less than half of what the iPhone version has.

I don't mean this in a hateful way but at this point OliveTree users with Android platform are being 'short changed' (LOL please). Their Android version is extremely basic. I'm an old OliveTree user going way back to the beginning, but until they offer a much, much improved Android version, their Bible app will get very little usage on my device.
Olive Tree has just made a significant update to the Android Market version and I see they also just became officially available through the Nook store. It's not quite up to their iPad/iPhone version but it's REALLY close.
dmacscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #13
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I have been watching their development with the Android OS and now they are available on the NC! I was not confident enough of my computer skills (or lack thereof) to root a NC and keep it rooted through updates so this is such good news for me. I mainly wanted a tablet that I could put OT on, so this will save me at least $150 ;-) (before this announcement I was seriously debating the ASUS transformer--mainly because of the price).
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
browndl
browndl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic/Color
I really like this app. http://www.mysword.info/ I put it on my android phone and my wife liked it so much she bought a color nook and had me root it so she could use this program on something larger than a phone.
browndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
numberman
numberman began at the beginning.

Device: IQ
I like the Mysword bible, if you are familiar with the E-sword program of the windows mobile world, you will find yourself quite at home with Mysword. It has commentary and dictionary etc in addition to many bible versions. I have used E-sword for a long time, so I was glad I found this app recently.

Last edited by numberman; 07-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.
numberman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bible, cadre bible, laridian, olivetree