Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-03-2016, 04:55 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Large images

Given that most people are using some sort of broadband, I think the rule on only allowing small images should be abolished. It really it annoying when a moderator deletes the images and causes the problems with the post/thread.

At the very least, grab the image(s) and attach them. Don't just delete and think it's OK which in most cases, it's not OK. When the image(s) need to be seen in order to illustrate something and the image(s) are deleted, that's when we have a problem.

So let's revise the rule on images and scrap the small size as it really is too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that most people are using some sort of broadband, I think the rule on only allowing small images should be abolished. It really it annoying when a moderator deletes the images and causes the problems with the post/thread.
The reason for the rule on image size is not the time taken to download the image, but the mess it makes of the thread layout. One wide image expands every thread on the page sideways and makes users have to constantly scroll sideways to read the messages. This is not a good thing.

Quote:
At the very least, grab the image(s) and attach them. Don't just delete and think it's OK which in most cases, it's not OK. When the image(s) need to be seen in order to illustrate something and the image(s) are deleted, that's when we have a problem.
We really don't have the time to "babysit" users who can't be bothered to read the rules. They are there for all to see. It is up to each user to acquaint themselves with the rules that govern this community. If your image is deleted, it's your own fault, not ours.

The Posting Guidelines are here. The information on images sizes is in item number 9, "Avatars, Images and Signatures".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's too bad the forum doesn't run one of the plug-ins out there that just automatically re-sizes images in posts to a specified width if they're over a certain size.

I get what Harry says about the guidelines being there for all to see, but how many people scroll all the way to the bottom of a page where they'll even see the link to them?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is a user's responsibility to read the site guidelines when they join the site.

And this is not the first time that JSWolf has raised this exact complaint, and been rejected: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267336

This is what I had to say about it then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is not a small limit.

It is just about the maximum you can get without distorting the view of the website.

As for deleting vs. re-attaching, I can't be fussed with that. If the image is important, the poster will re-post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That depends on the size of the window used in the web browser. On my laptop, the size of the images can go larger before there is any distortion. On the desktop, I have a much higher resolution screen and the images can go much larger before any distortion.
I said distort the page, not the image.
When I have to scroll the page to the right because some fool posted an image 1200 pixels wide, I don't really care how special YOUR screen is.

Quote:
And then again, maybe not. But the issue is that the thread is now useless. Is it really the job of the moderator to make threads useless even if the user who posted the images made them too large?
Why yes, it is in fact, MY job to do exactly that.

And I have never yet made an entire thread useless -- in fact, I usually find people re-upload the image, properly.

Note: this is my stock warning:
Quote:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Feel free to update your original post with an appropriately-resized image, or use our attachments feature (in the Go Advanced reply mode).

Thanks.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-03-2016 at 09:57 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I hate the larger images.
Now to the OP,
I like the guidelines. I am on a tablet most of the time. A large image messes up my screen. I hate having to scroll sideways to read a post.

Now since eschwartz answered I will ask where are these guidelines?
Is that the link on top of the forum page that one should see every time they come here? It says something about read and then guidelines is in blue and underlined.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 03-03-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Now since eschwartz answered I will ask where are these guidelines?
Is that the link on top of the forum page that one should see every time they come here? It says something about read and then guidelines is in blue and underlined.
There's a link at the very bottom right of each forum page.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's too bad the forum doesn't run one of the plug-ins out there that just automatically re-sizes images in posts to a specified width if they're over a certain size.
That would be brilliant if the forum did run such a plugin. Then we would not have any issue over image size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It would be trivial with CSS: "max-width:600px;max-height:600px"
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A plugin that automatically thumbnailed images above a certain size would be better - resizing may result in loss of essential information

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A plugin that automatically thumbnailed images above a certain size would be better - resizing may result in loss of essential information
That's the kind of plug-in I meant. It produces a resized image (thumbnail if you were to set things that small) and the image is marked as resized. It has a notification bar that can then be clicked to see the full size image and clicked again to return it to the reduced size.

Example on another forum...
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...02&postcount=6

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-03-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Of course, they could just add a maximum image size reminder to the tool tip on the image posting pop up.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Of course, they could just add a maximum image size reminder to the tool tip on the image posting pop up.
Why should they treat us like illiterate children?
Since this site is MobileRead I would assume everyone can READ the guidelines.
I am glad the moderators think we are all smart adults.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Monkeys can't read
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Monkeys can't read
Maybe not, but some gorillas can.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #15
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
I am well past half a century old, and I am a technology and news junkie.
I can't remember the different image size restrictions on all of the dozens of tech and news forums I visit every week.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote