Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #106
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
So umm.. have we all been played here? The morning's just about over, and nothing new on the homefront. Cruel hoax, perhaps?
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #107
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
still morning in California! not even 10 AM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The day is not yet over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Also there was an earlier question about reflow. The PDF does not have to be "tagged" to be reflowed.(and we actually ignore the tags if we they are there - we got better results that way) Because of this there are cases were we will really mangle the PDF during reflow because the text flow in the PDF do not match what you would expect as reading order.

Any other technical questions , fire away.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Can reflow be turned off?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #110
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
First off, thanks for stopping by! NatCh answered this earlier, but since you're actually with Adobe, I'd just like to reconfirm this with you, if that's ok: With the new firmware update, will we be able to read Adobe Secure 6.0 DRM books? I think the whole "Digital Edition 1.5" vs "Acrobat X.X" vs "Adobe Secure X.X" just has me a bit confused, since I don't work with Adobe products on a regular basis (sorry!)

Thanks!
Kriselda
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #111
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
First, I think I can safely say that there will not be a desktop Linux release of ADE this calendar year. (I don't think the fact that the Sony is running on top of Linux OS counts for what you want).
Still pushing back the release then ? AIR should be available on Linux later this year based on what I've read. But DE 1.5 might still be running on something different than the rest of AIR apps.

Quote:
Second, ADE talks to the Sony PRS-505 through a DLL that get installed with the Connect Library. If you do not have Connect Library installed, then you will not see your Sony as a bookshelf in ADE (and you wont be able to activate your Sony, DRM won't work, etc...)

Since Sony does not ship the Connect Library for Mac and did not have a Framework (Mac version of a DLL) for us to talk to, the Mac version of ADE will not "see" the Sony Reader. You can still transfer files through the OS, but DRM'd files will not work unless you have previously authorized your Sony Reader with an AdobeID (on a Windows box) that is the same as what you are using on the Mac. I'm a Mac user, my wife (who has a 505) is also a Mac user - I feel the pain on this.
Ok, so basically, you're using the DLL to communicate a certain number of informations directly to the 505, instead of just using the UMS. But you authorize the device and connect it to an Adobe ID only the first time that the device is connected to DE.

Hopefully, this won't be a problem for every device released on the market...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #112
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Maybe the new firmware will include the clock.
Or maybe a way to keeps the month and day even after shutting down.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #113
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Can reflow be turned off?
At the default font size, the PDF is displayed as is. Reflow will happen when you increase the font size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
I'd just like to reconfirm this with you, if that's ok: With the new firmware update, will we be able to read Adobe Secure 6.0 DRM books?
Yes, providing that the book is already in ADE 1.5 or can be migrated into 1.5, by upgrading to ADE, then you will be able to transfer that book to the Sony Reader (once they get the firmware out there ).

You will not be able to transfer content directly from Acrobat Reader to the Sony device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
AIR should be available on Linux later this year based on what I've read. But DE 1.5 might still be running on something different than the rest of AIR apps.
Correct, ADE 1.5 is not an AIR application.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #114
Baccchus
Baccchus began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Quote:
Will reflow be able to cope with multicolumn pages? If so I'll be very happy.
Baccchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #115
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Oooh!

Does the Reader version of DE use exactly the same rendering engine as the Windows desktop version or are their differences which could result in different behaviors across the platforms?

Is it planned for Reader firmware updates to become available as new versions of DE are released?

More a straight DE question, but is improving Unicode support a priority? (My experience trying an epub book in DE using Unicode spaces other than U+0020 was pretty miserable, DE replacing them all with '?'.)

-Marshall
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #116
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Christmas in July
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #117
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Here is an article for the AP so the word is getting out.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...A01LwD92413D80
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #118
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Christmas in July
If that's the case then Santa is being pretty damn stingy right now since the update still doesn't seem available. hehehe

I've got my 505 charging up next to me here at work just waiting for that update to roll out.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #119
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccchus
Will reflow be able to cope with multicolumn pages? If so I'll be very happy.
It depends upon how the PDF was authored. If the text flow follows the column, then it will work. If the text flow goes across the columns, it will be ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram
Does the Reader version of DE use exactly the same rendering engine as the Windows desktop version or are their differences which could result in different behaviors across the platforms?
The rendering engine code for both PDF and ePub are shared for ADE and the Sony Reader. However the Sony Reader is using different processor with different memory overhead, and a screen of a different resolution and bit depth. There will be differences, hopefully small and appropriate for the situation.

Quote:
Is it planned for Reader firmware updates to become available as new versions of DE are released?
I'm an engineer not marketing. That question is not technical and involves Sony's future plans, so a big ole "No Comment" from me.

Quote:
More a straight DE question, but is improving Unicode support a priority? (My experience trying an epub book in DE using Unicode spaces other than U+0020 was pretty miserable, DE replacing them all with '?'.)
Improving the quality of our rendering engines are always a priority. Please report a bug on the ADE Forum http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc43717/ Extra bonus points applied for providing sample for QA to test against.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #120
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
The rendering engine code for both PDF and ePub are shared for ADE and the Sony Reader. However the Sony Reader is using different processor with different memory overhead, and a screen of a different resolution and bit depth. There will be differences, hopefully small and appropriate for the situation.
No support for justification then ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update