Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Australian bookstore Dymocks to sell e-books

At last an Australian store is moving into the 21st century and offering e-books. Maybe we will now start to see these devices for sale here. One can only hope. They do, however appear to be selling only in Adobe format which will need to change.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/techno...766726753.html

Last edited by sianon; 11-14-2007 at 05:26 PM.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
This is the best news...

Aside from the difficulties with the sony not being officially available here and bookeen's decision to charge Aussies in euros (and lots of em!), what is holding me back from upgrading from my old palm is the current lack of Australian authors who publish in ebooks. When I started looking at the last half a dozen books that I had read and/or wanted to read (not all were Australian but quite a few were) NONE of them were available as ebooks.

Hopefully this help speed up some changes.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
They do, however appear to be selling only in Adobe format which will need to change.
Just had a look at Dymocks website and there are books in mobipocket and microsoft ereader too thank goodness.

The Age's article is a bit misleading IMHO as when I read it, I got the impression that all dymocks wanted to do was print you out a copy of the book onto paper at their kiosk rather than let you read in digital format. However, their website makes it clear that this isn't the case at all.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
At the moment it is only to George Street Store (in Sydney) that has the kiosk, however hopefully they will become more readily available. I looked at their online store but you can only order digital books if you are a member of their book lovers club (which I am, but cant find my membership details) and you cannot join online.

I also noticed that their Adobe files do not appear to be secure Adobe files, so they may work on the Iliad.

I will be watching this store with some interest, also will be interesting to see if Borders now introduces the same options.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
I looked at their online store but you can only order digital books if you are a member of their book lovers club (which I am, but cant find my membership details) and you cannot join online.

I will be watching this store with some interest, also will be interesting to see if Borders now introduces the same options.
I am also a booklovers card holder but have never used the card online. Also pretty sure they have old address and email for me. I have never used a password so I tried to guess and then requested they send me one but it wouldn't recognise my card number. So I just went through and rejoined - you can join online if you are inside Australia. Now I have a new card number. After the signup process, it brought me to another page that had the option of registering your card and creating a password
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
bill the smith
Banned
bill the smith began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
Great news.
If anybody manages to purchase online, please post!
bill the smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
At last an Australian store is moving into the 21st century and offering e-books. Maybe we will now start to see these devices for sale here. One can only hope. They do, however appear to be selling only in Adobe format which will need to change.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/techno...766726753.html
As it happens I was in the Dymock's George Street, Sydney store yesterday (7th July) and saw both the Cybook Gen3 and the Illiad. The young gentlemen were about to give me a demonstration, but I already have a Cybook and knew more about it than they did. Also, they have been selling both for some time - about a year I think - but when I broke my Cybook and wanted to replace it they would have had to order it in.

I bought my second Cybook and got very good service from the Reader's Feast Bookstore on Flinders Street, Melbourne. I don't have the URL to hand but you could google them.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote