Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
Adminer
Adminer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyn View Post
Yes, with next version you should be able to download your files directly using the Kindle browser.
I don't own a Kindle so I never tried it, but it worked that way in my Kobo (with epub files).
I'm new Kindle Paperwhite Gen2 user. Ubooquity works perfect with my ebooks collection - it's a great software and I recomended that idea - perfect tool.

Kindle Paperwhite is supporting mobi files and pdf files too - but the problem is, that there is very stupid Kindle browser - I can download only mobi files there, but not pdf.

When I try to download pdf file - Kindle browser said, that kind of file is not supported to download only. Do it manualy!

Question:
Is any way to tell this browser, that my pdf file is mobi file? ;-) All my files are mobi?
I woluld like to test beta version with this trick.
Most wanted request.

In the other way - I must find Duokan Operating System for Kindle Paperwhite and tell thanks Amazon. Is anybody user here who do this upgrade with Duokan on Paperwhite Gen II?

To do:
On the page with Ubooquity documentation, there is a broken link:
http://histrio.net/ubooquity/wp/?page_id=2

I can do polish translation for Ubooquity, if you want.

Can Ubooquity use jquery js and css with rendering html? I need one smart plugin there to manualy import my ebooks from Downloads folders. In my Download folder I have ebooks with the filenames:
First Author Name, Second Name - Title - Series - part.pdf
Second Name First Name - Title.pdf
Title - Second Name, First Name.mobi
Title - First Name, Second Name.epub
etc...

Import plugin should ask me, where I have my Downloads folders, Destination folder, and ask me one ebook by one - how to change position with the parts of ebook filename to move that ebook file to my Destination folder in order as I want:
A,B,C... folders, and inside as I want, sorted by Second Authors Name first for example.

When I created my CMS in PHP, I use jquery to import parts of the names to the table, and that parts are displaing in the "drag and drop" Tabs - I can sort it.

Example:
http://jqueryui.com/tabs/#sortable

I can "drag and drop" any parts of the filename using my mouse - using jquery on html page and adding some tabs with -.[,],. to add as you want in the name, plus text area to manualy rename, if the name of my file is f.e.: 234232.pdf.
Example:
http://jqueryui.com/tabs/#manipulation

So, renaming the filename should be quick and easy - using drag and drop tabs with the parts of the name- one by one.

Is it possible to add jquery scripts to your JAVA enviroment to create that new import plugin, to quick rename and import ebooks there from my Download folder to Main - one by one manualy?
We can move that ebook files by that plugin to the correct folder, and there will be easy import into Calibre, and export to Ubooquity with the correct names as we need in ebook files. Is it possible request?

Regards

Last edited by Adminer; 06-02-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Adminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
Twyn
Enthusiast
Twyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo and Kobo Mini
Hi Adminer,

I have setup a small test page with a PDF file obfuscated in different ways (extension, MIME type...).

http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/misc/kindletest/

Try it with your Kindle browser and let me know if one of these tricks works. (I don't own a Kindle myself)

About the broken link: thanks, I fixed it.

About a Polish translation: I appreciate the offer but I don't think Ubooquity is complex enough to require a translation. There is not much text, and any person capable of installing a server probably reads english anyway.

About file upload: the principle of Ubooquity is to be a content server that makes files available on the network, but that never modifies these files. That's a principle I want to uphold in order to keep Ubooquity simple and easy to use.
Allowing file upload and more generally file management is a much bigger task than what I want to and can do.

So to import your files, the easiest and fastest way is probably to install a web file manager (or use a FTP client).

By the way, the name displayed by Ubooquity are the ones found in the metadata of the book. The file name is used only if no metadata has been found.
Twyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
Adminer
Adminer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Experiment unfortunately failed.

All two mobi files I can download without any problems. No pdf files at all.

"Invalid File Type
Web Browser cannot download this kind of file.
Only files with the extention .AZW, PRC, .MOBI or .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle".

Duokan OS may be a "hack" for my Paperwhite, or I must wait for next Kindle upgrade in the future.

Amazon was created an upgrade with good pdf support for all Kindle Paperwhite GEN2 users, because another operating systems on another e-readers works fine with pdf, but not on Kindle in 2013 - so when people will hack Kindle to unlock pdf full support - they must write next update - or Kindle stop be the first known usefull e-reader in the world - another e-reader production with e-ink Paperwhite, browser without restriction, with mobi, ePub, pdf support - and Linux OS - and... Kindle will be thrown out of the window with this "Experimental Browser"...

Duokan for Kindle Paperwhite works with ePub and pdf files - so all restriction should be removed by Amazon. If not - new micro Android for Kindle Paperwhite will be good motivation to create it, and install in the future. We will wait

Thank you for preparing this test. If you have any others ideas... I can test.

Regards
Adminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #19
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Hi

I just installed and it looks and works nicely. Are you planning to add internal reader for epub and pdf?

thanks
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Twyn
Enthusiast
Twyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Hi exachillus,

There is already an online PDF reader for comics. For books and other non-image documents, the PDF reader has been added in Ubooquity 1.5.0, which I have just released (see next post ).
As for epubs, this is not planned. Epub files are usually much smaller than comics and PDF files, so it's often much easier to download the complete book and read it with a dedicated application.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
Twyn
Enthusiast

Ubooquity 1.5.0 is available (DOWNLOAD here).
Here is the changelog:

New features
  • Better PDF support: Cover rendering is now working for all types of PDF files (image-only PDF as well as text+images PDF files)
  • PDF in the "books" section can be read online, like comics. Ubooquity now uses two different PDF rendering engines: one for comics (image-only PDF), one for books (text+images PDF). Depending on the type of your PDF file, be careful to put it in the right section to have a correct display when reading them online (if you just download them, it makes no difference).
  • Ubooquity now supports themes. A new lighter theme can be donwloaded on the Themes page. This pages also explains how to install and create new themes.

Miscellaneous
  • Improved image quality on high pixel density devices
  • Miscellaneous performance improvements
  • Better user access logging (see this tutorial on how to customize your logs)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #22
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Twyn

Thanks for the update. I will test out

Btw I am getting out of memory with one pdf. It stops scanning at one pdf

20140623 18:40:41 [Timer-0] INFO com.ubooquity.Ubooquity - Checking latest available Ubooquity version from website
20140623 18:40:42 [Timer-0] INFO com.ubooquity.Ubooquity - Latest version available: 1.5.0 - Current version: 1.5.0
20140623 18:40:42 [Timer-0] INFO com.ubooquity.c.d - You already have the latest version
20140623 18:40:42 [Scanner thread] ERROR com.ubooquity.Ubooquity - Uncaught exception on thread: Scanner thread
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(DataBufferInt. java:41) ~[na:1.6.0_26]
at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Raster.ja va:458) ~[na:1.6.0_26]
at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWr itableRaster(DirectColorModel.java:1015) ~[na:1.6.0_26]
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage. java:321) ~[na:1.6.0_26]
at org.jpedal.PDFtoImageConvertor.convert(Unknown Source) ~[jpedal_lgpl.jar.5980567156713211552.tmp:4.92b23]
at org.jpedal.PdfDecoder.getPageAsImage(Unknown Source) ~[jpedal_lgpl.jar.5980567156713211552.tmp:4.92b23]
at org.jpedal.PdfDecoder.getPageAsImage(Unknown Source) ~[jpedal_lgpl.jar.5980567156713211552.tmp:4.92b23]
at com.ubooquity.fileformat.pdf.c.a(SourceFile:62) ~[Ubooquity.jar:1.5.0]
at com.ubooquity.fileformat.pdf.c.a(SourceFile:48) ~[Ubooquity.jar:1.5.0]
at com.ubooquity.data.feeder.a.b(SourceFile:359) ~[Ubooquity.jar:1.5.0]
at com.ubooquity.data.feeder.a.a(SourceFile:202) ~[Ubooquity.jar:1.5.0]
at com.ubooquity.data.feeder.a.b(SourceFile:302) ~[Ubooquity.jar:1.5.0]
at com.ubooquity.data.feeder.a.a(SourceFile:34) ~[Ubooquity.jar:1.5.0]
at com.ubooquity.data.feeder.a$1.run(SourceFile:112) ~[Ubooquity.jar:1.5.0]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662) ~[na:1.6.0_26]
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #23
Twyn
Enthusiast

Ubooquity ran out of memory when scanning one of your PDF files.
On which kind of hardware are you running Ubooquity ? The info that I need is printed to the log file just after startup (Max heap size available, Java version, OS Name etc.)

If you want you can send me the full log file, I'll take a look. (PM)

In the meantime, you can also try to increase the quantity of memory Ubooquity is allowed to use. See this FAQ entry.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 AM   #24
Bart274
Bart274 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I started the ubooquity.jar yesterday and it worked without a problem.
When I tried to run it today I get an error :
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Windows\system32\preferences.xml (Toegang geweigerd)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.ubooquity.Ubooquity.a(SourceFile:135)
at com.ubooquity.Ubooquity.r(SourceFile:122)
at com.ubooquity.Ubooquity.main(SourceFile:183)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.ubooquity.f.b.a(SourceFile:801)
at com.ubooquity.Launcher.main(SourceFile:10)

Any idea how I can fix this?
Bart274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #25
Twyn
Enthusiast

It looks like the jar is run from the "C:\Windows\system32" instead of the directory it is located in.
It seems to be a known problem on Windows (although it's the first time I'm hearing of it).

Can you tell me if you are running the jar by double-clicking on it or with a command line ?

The first workaround that comes to my mind would be to create a Windows shortcut to the jar file, edit the shortcut and change the "Start in" field to the directory containing the jar.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #26
Twyn
Enthusiast

Ubooquity 1.6.0 is available.

New features

-SSL support : You can now access your files in a more secure way by using the HTTPS protocol instead of HTTP. To do that you will need to get a SSL certificate (either by buying one or generating a self-signed one), generate a Java keystore and configure Ubooquity to use it.

-Reverse proxy : If you want to use reverse proxy, you can now choose the prefix which will be added at the beginning of every URL served by Ubooquity.

-"New comics/books" links : two new links on the home page which will take you to a page containing the latest comics and books added to your collection.

Miscellaneous

-Added an option to disable files auto scan at startup (if you want your files scanned only when you press the "scan" button).

-Failed logon attempts for the webadmin page are now displayed on a single line so that they are easier to parse with fail2ban.
-Log files rotate when they reach 1 MB instead of 5 MB.
-Removed session limitation restricting a user to a single active session (you were automatically logged out of a device when logging into another). You can now have several sessions on different devices at the same time.
-Removed port range restriction (ports under 1024 are now authorized).
-Fixed advanced preferences page in webadmin.
-Fixed several bugs related to user rights management.
-Fixed a bug preventing the comic pages displayed in the online reader from being wider than 1200 pixels.
-Fixed online reader keyboard shortcuts in Chrome.
-Fixed a bug which was degrading perfomances of the online reader when a scan was in progress.

No OPDS support yet, and the online reader has not been improved much either. But work is in progress and these features/improvements will probably be delivered in the 1.7.0 version.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #27
hatde130113
Enthusiast
hatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhatde130113 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite gen 2
Thanks a lot for ur sharing!
hatde130113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #28
Twyn
Enthusiast

Ubooquity 1.7.0 is available.

WARNING: This upgrade will trigger a complete rescan of your of comics and ebooks files. You will not lose your settings, but depending on the size of your collection, it could take time.

If you use the "Modern" theme, you will have to download the new version of this theme on the themes page.

New features

- Comics Metadata : Ubooquity now reads and displays comics metadata in the ComicRack format. You can write such metadata in your comics with applications like ComicRack (obviously) or ComicTagger.

- Better PDF support : Ubooquity now embeds two new libraries which will improve PDF support, especially for documents containing JPG2000 images or using cryptography features (not fully encrypted PDF though). They will no longer generate errors when scanned and their cover will be displayed correctly.

- OPDS feeds : You can activate OPDS feeds in the "advanced" option of Ubooquity. Your feeds will be available at the following addresses (port and IP are just examples):

http://10.0.0.1:2202/opds-comics
http://10.0.0.1:2202/opds-books

These feeds support authentication through HTTP Basic Authentication (same credentials as the ones you already use). This authentication method is not as secure as the one already used by Ubooquity, so be carefull if you use OPDS feeds on an open network without activating the SSL/HTTPS feature.

I have done some tests with a few ebooks/comics readers with OPDS support. Unfortunately the OPDS specification is not followed at 100% by all the applications. Here are the results of my tests:

Note that the the "Comics online reading" column corresponds to a feature not supported by the original OPDS standard but is an extension developped for Ubooquity and Challenger Comics Viewer. More details here.

Miscellaneous

- Added an option to automatically minimize Ubooquity interface at startup.
- Added an option to hide empty folders.
- Improved ebooks metadata display (publication date, language, file format).
- Trailing slashes and backslashes are now automatically removed when entering shared folder paths in the web administration page.
- Fixed a rare bug which added a pink overlay on some comics images.
- Fixed a bug on folder images: Ubooquity now always uses the first image found in the directory or its subdirectories.

The improved comics online reader development is still in progress.

Get it on the download page

Last edited by Twyn; 01-24-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #29
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for making this available to all of us. I was looking for something like this, and after playing with it for the last week or so this seems like it'll mostly do what I want.

The only thing I'm hoping for now is that the developers of Challenger Comics Viewer make whatever changes they need to do in order for the Covers and Metadata provided by the Ubooquity opds feed to be exposed in their app when connecting to the server from inside the CCV app. Then this will be perfect for me.

But again, other than that one small issue, Ubooquity does what I was looking for in an ebook server program. Thanks again for your time and work!
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #30
Twyn
Enthusiast

As far as I know, the developer of CCV has no plans to add cover support for the OPDS feed, unfortunately.

I'm glad glad you like Ubooquity.