Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
fowler002
fowler002 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
unable to download books from kindle store

I got my first kindle(wifi only kindle 3) today(pre-ordered 9th august), I managed to dowload a couple of free books that I had archived.

but since then I've tried getting a sample of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and a couple of other free books but can't download them on the kindle, the sample never got delivered to my kindle(was showing pending when I looked in manage kindle but has since gone) and the 2 free books show up in archived books bit but downloading them gives the 'download was unsuccessful, try again'(or words to that effect) error.

been able to download to computer and transfer via usb but don't want to keep doing that for all books I get, what if I'm out and I'm away from my pc(holiday etc) and buy a book?
fowler002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Connect to WiFi hot spot?

Did you connect to a WiFi hot spot and see the bars on the top?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
fowler002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Did you connect to a WiFi hot spot and see the bars on the top?
seeing as i'm able to access the kindle store from the k3, wth do you think?

I even tried connecting to my htc desire using the wifi hotspot app, but that gives the same error.

clicking the buy or try sample give the 'the book/sample is being sent to your kindle etc, once the download finishes it'll appear on your home screen'(or words to that effect). but the book never shows up on my home screen nor in the 'view downloading' bit in the menu, instead just goes to the achieved bit(full book not sample, the sample simple disappears after a bit from manage kindle section on the website) and gives error trying to download.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
seeing as i'm able to access the kindle store from the k3, wth do you think?
Well that's a bit harsh, seeing as how you never mentioned you were purchasing the books from the Kindle Store via the K3 itself.

Good luck!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well that's a bit harsh, seeing as how you never mentioned you were purchasing the books from the Kindle Store via the K3 itself.

Good luck!
+1 You beat me to it.

OP, simaru is just trying to help troubleshoot. You won't get much help with those kinds of responses.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
fowler002

well it's been solved:

menu(from home screen)-->settings-->menu(this time when you're on the settings sreen)-->restart(not reset as that'll reset to factory settings and wipe everything on the kindle).

got a message saying that the kindle was restarting, after a few mins got back to the home screen and I was able to download the books from archived and have samples/books to the kindle through the shop. been several hours since I did it so hope it isn't playing up again(don't want to keep doing the 'restart fix').

simply rebooting(sliding and holding the power 'button' for 15-20 seconds) didn't fix the problem.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
amazon
amazon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Solved

thank you for your post reply regarding the fix. That helped me. Additionally, I know you were looking for help in the beginning with your post. Regardless of what followed, if the initial people offering suggestions had read your original post and understood it, they would have understood you did have connection to the internet via WiFi to download the original / trial books you discussed and / or had problems with!

Once again, thank you for posting your fix. It helped me with my Kindle issue similar to yours.
amazon is offline   Reply With Quote