Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you receive a defective Kindle 2?
No, mine functions perfectly. 90 67.67%
Yes, I've had Amazon replace it. 17 12.78%
Yes, I've had Amazon replace more than one. 5 3.76%
Yes, but I'm keeping it as is. 0 0%
I don't own one but I'd still order one. 8 6.02%
I don't own one but now wouldn't want one. 13 9.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
obanta
obanta began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-500 and PRS-505; BlackBerry 8830
No problems with either my Kindle 1 or Kindle 2. Have been very happy with both.

I'll have to test reading in the sunlight, however.
obanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No problems here. Got it the first day they were out and have read 10 books on it so far without issue.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
5 / 35 seems a pretty high defect rate so far; 14%. Which means about 1 such person would experience 2 defects.

On the other hand, 2 of the 7 Kindle 2s at my recent Starbuck's meetup had the sunlight problem. That's 28%!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #19
MoboHobo
Banned
MoboHobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
No problems with my K1 and my sister has not complained about her K2 yet.
MoboHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
frecklpwr
frecklpwr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
My left "next page" button is not seated properly and rocks. It is also more difficult to press because it doesn't "click" and I'm never sure if I've pressed it hard enough. I tried to live with it because I hate to create more waste in this world, but it was driving me crazy. My second one is on the UPS truck today.
frecklpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
tippymn
tippymn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecklpwr View Post
My left "next page" button is not seated properly and rocks. It is also more difficult to press because it doesn't "click" and I'm never sure if I've pressed it hard enough. I tried to live with it because I hate to create more waste in this world, but it was driving me crazy. My second one is on the UPS truck today.
I have the same problem, the left next page doesn't click, the right one does, but also squeaks...am thinking I will have to replace it, the squeak is very noticeable.
tippymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All of my buttons click just fine, but the left next page is very slightly loose. Not enough for me to want a replacement over.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
Rontonio
Rontonio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I’ve contacted Amazon customer service to return my second Kindle. Both of them had the same problem. After 30 seconds to a minute indirect sunlight the E-Ink print degraded to only partial readability. This is 2 Kindles. The first I received on Friday, and noticed the problem on Saturday. Customer service was very nice, and they send a replacement out. I received that one today, charged it, took it outside on and watched my happiness fade away. I also own a Sony 505, and although it is affected by sunlight, it only happens when the Reader gets very warm. When I tilt the screen, or refresh, the print looks all right again. On the Reader, the font seem to “thin”, and thicken again after a refresh. With the Kindle the font softens and shortly “breaks-up”. It looks like a printed page that was produced with a copier low on ink. I am not a sunbather. The Kindle problem happens when I’m outside having a coffee and reading with my back to the sun. As soon as it hits the screen the degradation starts. Customer service will send both Kindles to their “development team” and get back to me. Amazon was patient and helpful, and exhibited great customer service.
Rontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

10% Defective

That seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
sirbruce
Provocateur

It's actually higher; you don't count the people who don't have one. I'm assuming Rontonio didn't vote yet, since his is a multiple failure, there should be 2 in the "more than one" votes. So that's 10 defective Kindles out of 53, or nearly 20%.

The sunlight problem seems to be a lot more common than people realize.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #26
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxy789 View Post
...even when I just lightly place my finger on the outer edge of the button it gives and the device squeaks....
Hm, I hear some squeaking when I press the left edge a bit harder, but I am pretty sure it's because of the cover hinge. Doesn't really bother me, though.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
That seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?
Don't confuse this with a scientific poll.

10% of the people who responded to this poll had defective Kindles.

That does NOT mean that 10% of the Kindles that shipped were defective.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
Don't confuse this with a scientific poll.

10% of the people who responded to this poll had defective Kindles.

That does NOT mean that 10% of the Kindles that shipped were defective.
I was thinking the same thing. Given the low numbers of respondents compared to the number of K2's sold this poll can hardly be considered a valid representational statistic of the number of defective K2's.

That being said I do find this thread valuable since it does appear that there are some common issues with the device that current and prospective owners should be aware of...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #29
daphnetoo
daphnetoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxy789 View Post
While Amazon Customer Service is great, I wish I didn't know that from experience. I'm currently awaiting my 3rd Kindle 2, since my first 2 were defective.

The several other reports of defective Kindle 2's make me seriously question the reliability of Amazon's product and my sanity for still desiring one. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. If the one I receive on Monday isn't up to par, I'll probably scratch the idea of a Kindle all together and hold on to my money until something more reliable comes around.

Anyways, I'm curious as to how many other new Kindle 2 owners have received defects. If it's happened to me twice, I'm wondering how high the percentage is. And to those owners out there with perfectly functioning Kindle 2's congrats!
I have had 2 defective kindle 2s thus far. The first one had a recessed previous page button that was *mushy* and the second one had very obvious ghosting (to the extent it impeded reading). I just received my 3rd kindle today and am in the process of checking it out.
daphnetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #30
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

I've had my 3rd kindle for a few days now and am excited to find it functioining as expected. I haven't had the chance to test in sunlight yet since it's been raining but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I hope everyone else who has had problems finds a satisfactory resolution.

Now I am just wondering what amazon does with all the returned kindles?
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote