Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
Operating system ironies

Am I the only one that find it ironic that the companion software, mobipocket reader and creator only have windows support while the iliad itself uses linux?

I use linux and mac both at home and at work, and this is a heartfelt sigh.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I've always found the companion software to be next to useless, and use the Java program to merge scribbles. Mobipocket Reader isn't necessary because you can buy/download books directly from the site.

I've heard Mobipocket creator runs without a problem in Wine, but I have a Virtual Windows machine that I run it on.

Linux is great for the average person when they don't know they're using it. Unfortunately, we live in a windows world.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
So many devices out there use embedded windows because the developers had hardly a clue, or just grown up in a windows world. In most embedded devices linux would easily outperform the windows stuff, especially since as developer you can really cater for your embedded devices, instead of recreating the hardware so it fits mostly a PC.

Embedded windows crap in my country includes cash machines, ticket machines, oscilloscope , data analyzers and many more.

I even once watched a cash machine reboot, after it took my credit card :-/

I'm happy the eInk front somehow got better developers, as all today available devices run embedded linux..
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
Am I the only one that find it ironic that the companion software, mobipocket reader and creator only have windows support while the iliad itself uses linux?

I use linux and mac both at home and at work, and this is a heartfelt sigh.
MobiPocket Reader doesn't only have Windows support - it runs on multiple o/s platforms - Windows, Windows CE, Symbian, Linux, PalmOS, and Blackberry (and perhaps more too).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
MobiPocket Reader doesn't only have Windows support - it runs on multiple o/s platforms - Windows, Windows CE, Symbian, Linux, PalmOS, and Blackberry (and perhaps more too).
If you mean mobipocket reader desktop, then linux wasn´t listed here:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ailsReader.asp
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
haridasi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I've always found the companion software to be next to useless, and use the Java program to merge scribbles. Mobipocket Reader isn't necessary because you can buy/download books directly from the site.

I've heard Mobipocket creator runs without a problem in Wine, but I have a Virtual Windows machine that I run it on.

Linux is great for the average person when they don't know they're using it. Unfortunately, we live in a windows world.
I tried running mobi creator on macos and crossover which uses wine, but it didn´t work. I haven´t tried it on linux though.

I believe there will come a change where all software will be available on multiple platforms. Java applications for example can be run on multiple platforms.

Unfortunately, businesses and developers these days doesn´t think that way. Windows have ruled the world for 20 - 30 years, but that is slowly changing now.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
If you mean mobipocket reader desktop, then linux wasn´t listed here:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ailsReader.asp
That's the download page for the Windows version - the download links for the other versions are at the top of that same page.

There isn't - AFAIK - a downloadable version for Linux; the Linux devices which support Mobi (iLiad, Gen3, Kindle, etc) have it built into their firmware.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's the download page for the Windows version - the download links for the other versions are at the top of that same page.
The only "PC" os'es that it seems to support is Windows. Which doesn't bode will for me since I am getting a Mac soon.

I don't think any of the devices they support run Linux:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN#

But, with Android coming soon I think it would behove them to support Linux/Mac and Linux devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You're right - Windows is indeed the only "PC" o/s, but I was responding to the original poster's claim that "only Windows" is supported by Mobi Reader. This is demonstrably untrue; I'm running it myself on a Linux device (the CyBook Gen3) and, of course, the iLiad has a version of Mobi Reader too (albeit not a very good version).

I agree - Mac and Linux "desktop" versions would be nice to have.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
This is demonstrably untrue; I'm running it myself on a Linux device (the CyBook Gen3) and, of course, the iLiad has a version of Mobi Reader too (albeit not a very good version).
Ah, point taken.

But, my understanding was the CyBook ran a Bookeen developed reader that supports the Mobipocket format and DRM and that is was not actually Mobipocket written software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah, point taken.

But, my understanding was the CyBook ran a Bookeen developed reader that supports the Mobipocket format and DRM and that is was not actually Mobipocket written software.

BOb
The "core" of the "reader engine" is, I believe, Mobi's code which Bookeen have licenced. That's why it has the same page numbering bug as the Windows Mobi reader.