Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Creating symbolic links

I'm using a genre-like field (called subject_path) with dot-separated values, which indicates the folder path, where an ebook should be stored using the store-to-disc feature, e.g.

"A.B.C" means <folder specified for store-to-disc>/A/B/C

This field subject_path can contain several dot-separated values like "A.B.C, D.E.F, ..."

When Calibre saves an ebook with subject_path "A.B.C, D.E.F, G.H.I, ..." to disc, I let it put the files under the first list item, i.e. .../A/B/C.

What I want Calibre to do for the remaining items is creating symbolic links, i.e.

.../A/B/C contains the real files, e.g. Java.pdf
.../D/E/F would contain a symbolic link to Java.pdf in .../A/B/C
.../G/H/I would contain a symbolic link to Java.pdf in .../A/B/C

This way I will encounter Java.pdf even if I browse in .../G/H/I.
Is there a possiblity to do this? If not, I think it could be a feature request for supporting creation of proxies.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
I'm using a genre-like field (called subject_path) with dot-separated values, which indicates the folder path, where an ebook should be stored using the store-to-disc feature, e.g.

"A.B.C" means <folder specified for store-to-disc>/A/B/C

This field subject_path can contain several dot-separated values like "A.B.C, D.E.F, ..."

When Calibre saves an ebook with subject_path "A.B.C, D.E.F, G.H.I, ..." to disc, I let it put the files under the first list item, i.e. .../A/B/C.

What I want Calibre to do for the remaining items is creating symbolic links, i.e.

.../A/B/C contains the real files, e.g. Java.pdf
.../D/E/F would contain a symbolic link to Java.pdf in .../A/B/C
.../G/H/I would contain a symbolic link to Java.pdf in .../A/B/C

This way I will encounter Java.pdf even if I browse in .../G/H/I.
Is there a possiblity to do this? If not, I think it could be a feature request for supporting creation of proxies.
{tags[0]} gives the first letter of Tags (works for any field. See example below)

Code:
{series[0]}-series/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} {title}_{id}_{authors}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
{tags[0]} gives the first letter of Tags (works for any field. See example below)

Code:
{series[0]}-series/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} {title}_{id}_{authors}
I think, you misunderstood me. I want to create symbolic links (file shortcuts in Windows) for the further items of my genre-like field.

Look at this post I found, as it addresses the same issue with duplicates: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=23

Krogenar has duplicates:

../BOOKS/FICTION/SCIENCE-FICTION/JULES, VERNE/Jules-Verne-Omnibus.epub
../BOOKS/FICTION/CLASSICS/JULES, VERNE/Jules-Verne-Omnibus.epub

I want:

../BOOKS/FICTION/SCIENCE-FICTION/JULES, VERNE/Jules-Verne-Omnibus.epub
../BOOKS/FICTION/CLASSICS/JULES, VERNE/<symbolic link to Jules-Verne-Omnibus.epub in ../BOOKS/FICTION/SCIENCE-FICTION/JULES, VERNE>
Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
silentguy
Connoisseur
silentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10. Generation)
I think this might get problematic as symbolic links are very operating and file system specific.

FYI File shortcut is not really the same as a symlink but ntfs does have symlinks. ;-)

I was looking into this for something else and it seems that whis would be pretty compicated. Because you would have to make special cases for different operating systems AND different kinds of partitions. For instance, I don't think you can make a symlink on a fat32 partition (like a reader) on any OS.

But please, someone proof me wrong, i would like to have symlinking for books
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
I think this might get problematic as symbolic links are very operating and file system specific.

FYI File shortcut is not really the same as a symlink but ntfs does have symlinks. ;-)

I was looking into this for something else and it seems that whis would be pretty compicated. Because you would have to make special cases for different operating systems AND different kinds of partitions. For instance, I don't think you can make a symlink on a fat32 partition (like a reader) on any OS.

But please, someone proof me wrong, i would like to have symlinking for books
For me it is less important if it would be a symbolic link or a file shortcut. All I want to have is a proxy for a real ebook file that is in some other folder.
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
For me it is less important if it would be a symbolic link or a file shortcut. All I want to have is a proxy for a real ebook file that is in some other folder.
It sounds like you are trying to Violate this sticky https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175 by doing an end-around fake.

(tweet) Foul
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It sounds like you are trying to Violate this sticky https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175 by doing an end-around fake.

(tweet) Foul
You just got me wrong... again . This thread is not about the library folder structure. It's about the folder structure generated by the save to disk or send to device features.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
sunova
sunova began at the beginning.

Device: None
Sorry for bumping an ancient thread, but there is a point in this.
Not only exporting a library as symlinks to the Calibre library's individual files saves storage and time, but also one can represent their library in multiple templates.

For me this becomes important when I want to share my ebooks over a network filesystem. If someone wants to download all ebooks related to psychology, they can use genre-based representation. If they want to copy psychology books published in 2020, they can browse genre/publish_year representation.
sunova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunova View Post
Sorry for bumping an ancient thread, but there is a point in this.
Not only exporting a library as symlinks to the Calibre library's individual files saves storage and time, but also one can represent their library in multiple templates.

For me this becomes important when I want to share my ebooks over a network filesystem. If someone wants to download all ebooks related to psychology, they can use genre-based representation. If they want to copy psychology books published in 2020, they can browse genre/publish_year representation.
Out of curiosity, how many psychology books published in 2020 and that are freely redistributable (in the public domain i.e. not copyrighted or have been purchased under an open library license, etc.) do you have access to?

Just curious since in one of my nephew's practice, they spend a good chunk of cash each month on the software that allows them to run a lending library with user ID, number of loans and loan length controls for their professional ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote