Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
sleeplessdave
sleeplessdave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Jailbreak going from Kindle DX original to Kindle DX Graphite Int.

My old original Kindle DX died and I now have a Kindle DX Graphite running 2.5.8 software version. I ported over what I had in the guts of the last Kindle and everything works except the screensavers. I realize that I probably just need to update my jailbreak or change how I have things configured but I've reached the edge of my computing knowledge and the people on this site were so helpful the last time I had to go through something like this. This is what my directory looks like right now:
-active content.data
-audible
-documents
-linkss (screensaver subfolder in this with all my pictures)
-music
-system

If anyone could give me directions on how to get things up and running, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks!
sleeplessdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Perhaps you need to reinstall the latest jailbreak screensaver hacks for the DXG (not the DX versions)?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
sleeplessdave

I'm sorry, but do you know what the correct version of jailbreak is for the Graphite? There are so many different versions and updates listed on the site that I've tried three already and get update failures with each.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Did you read the documentation carefully for each one? I think some of them are supposed to present you a message telling you that the update failed. The jailbreak however is working afterwards nevertheless. So chances are that your device already *is* jailbroken.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used this jailbreak on all my kindles (including DX and DXG):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...5&d=1318991430

After extracting the contents, I used for my DXG:
update_jailbreak_0.10.N_dxg_install.bin

And for my DX (white), I used:
update_jailbreak_0.10.N_dx_install.bin

They worked fine for me, and I do not remember seeing any error messages,
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
sleeplessdave

I tried dropping the dxg update in the root directory as I'd described below and got an error message in updating. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Am I placing it in the wrong folder? Should I try reinstalling jailbreak? Sorry to be a pest, but thank you all at the same time for responding the way you have.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
sleeplessdave

I'm getting a U006 error message btw
Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
geekmaster

It might have still worked. Did it create a linkjail folder?

Try installing the usbnetwork hack too. Then try:
Home Del
;debugOn
`usbNetwork
;DebugOff

Does that make the USB Drive go away, and a new USB network device show up?

If so, your hacks are working...
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It should be quick. (And, on FW 2.x only, it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen). It's completely normal, intended, and harmless).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
sleeplessdave

Honestly I'm a little lost. In just copying over the hack, no linkjail folder is created. If I move the SRC folder over from the hack (which already contains a linkjail folder) it still doesn't work. I am kind of totally lost on the USB thing. Is there no linkss folder any more? Should that be under something else? The first post is how my drive looks and I'm kind of more confused than ever as to how to move from that, to getting my screensavers to show up. I remember this being a whole lot easier...
Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
geekmaster

Perhaps there is no linkjail folder due to interference during the jailbreak install from files or folders that you COPIED from the old kindle DX to the DXG.

Get rid of the files you copied from the old kindle, then try uninstalling the hacks, do factory restore from the settings menu, and then reinstall the hacks.

One of these days I am going to read the source code for the kindle hacks when I get more time, so I have to use less educated guesses, and can answer from a solid experiential knowledge base.

AFAIK, only NiLuJe fully understands his hacks.

I long for the old days of simple C variable names from vintage K&R. I have yet to explore the code and coding conventions of the kindle hack source code...

So, for now, just hopefully helpful "guessing" from me. Perhaps NiLuJe (or others) can be of more useful assistance to you...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
sleeplessdave

Unhappy

No I truly appreciate the advice. I spent five hours with the thing yesterday and I have approx. 2k screensavers and 1000 books so copying over is really tedious. Doing a complete reset is something I guess I'll have to do, but given the time it will take me to restore things once/if I do get the hacks working, I guess I'll just live with it as is for a bit.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
geekmaster

With 2,000 screensavers and 1,000 books on your kindle, perhaps the hacks failed due to your USB Drive too full.

How much free space is left on the kindle USB drive?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
sleeplessdave

749 MB left...which is actually 250MB more than I had on my old device when it was working
Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
geekmaster

I have no additional suggestions besides the "restore to factory default" option that you are not ready to try...

Anybody else have any ideas?

Tags
graphite, kindle dx, screensavers, transfer new kindle, version 2.5.8