Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
Heinstein
Heinstein began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is the best current e-reader for reading japanese manga only?

I tried reading manga on the internet but it just doesn't feel right as I'm used to reading manga on real books but they take up so much space so I'm thinking of downloading them to an e-reader. Alot of people say that for reading manga an e-reader shouldn't be smaller than 9.7" is this true? How about 8" readers, are they too small? Also the manga I'm going to be reading is things like Detective Conan and OnePiece. I don't want to be spending more than $300 for an e-reader but if 9.7" is worth it then I'm willing to spend up to $400. What e-reader do you guys recommend to have the best experience reading manga that I've mentioned?

Cheers!
Heinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
With a rooted nookcolor you can run apps like comic reader, looks fantastic
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Heinstein

Thanks but I'm looking for e-reader with e-ink display because they don't give you eyestrain like they do with lcd. I looked around the forums and it seems that pocketbook PB902, Kindle DX and iRex DR 800 are good choice for manga. But I don't know which reader screen size is best for japanese manga.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I tried using Mangle to read on a Kindle 3, and while it's readable, it's a little small. However, YMMV. I would suggest going to Best Buy or wherever you can find a Kindle DX and using the web browser to see how a manga page displays, and seeing whether you like it. I don't think there is an 'optimum' size, just a question of how small is too small for you.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only larger than 6" E Ink readers with the new (more contrast) Pearl Screens are the PRS-950 (7") and the Kindle DX (9.7"). The KDX is likely your best choice at present. There are now a few devices with Sipix 9" screens, but they are not commonly available in the US and Sipix has less contrast than even the old Vizplex E Ink screens. For photos (of text, not manga, on 6" screens) see Any new info about the ASUS DR-900/DR-950?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Heinstein

Hmm, sounds like I should get a Kindle DX then since I heard that manga is usually 8" in size and some people even have trouble reading small text on 8" readers. I'm going to be reading Death Note as well which probably has lots of small texts and I don't want to be zooming on small texts while reading.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
eye strain on the Nookcolor is not as bad as some might claim, ( i have bad eyes from an infection a few years ago) I have a e-ink and the nookcolor and I can read for hours on both. It has a very high resolution that appears to fix the problem, for most people (not all). Why not go and have a look and see for yourself

checkout the app (I have this running on the nookcolor)
http://comicreader.mobi/

Last edited by iandix; 01-09-2011 at 10:06 AM.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote