Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #1336
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To be clear: I was referring to The Stand, which is a single, long book. When it was originally published he was a best selling author and his publisher made him trim the book down by a few hundred pages.

Twelve years later, he was STEPHEN KING and he was able to get the book published as he'd intended.

The series you're thinking of is The Dark Tower. I've never read all of it. But I always remember King saying that he wrote it as it came to him and there was every possibility that the series would never end.
Still King holds the record of prolonging the pain...Bar none..!

Sorry mods and good folks, off topic but still sorta on..Let me go back to my cave...Grin.

What I ? love to peek into his mind, or maybe not....hoot.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 01-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 AM   #1337
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Maybe it's my background, but it's the idea of looking up the conversions in a book that strikes me as silly. I do most one-byte conversions in my head, two-byte values might take me a little longer, and if I can't do that for some reason (large values, or maybe not enough sleep), a pencil and a scrap of paper do just dandy.

I mean, seriously - take 10101001. Split it into four-digit pieces to make things easy: 1010 and 1001. Anyone who knows what binary is should be able to read those as "ten" and "nine." Getting that to decimal is simple: "ten times sixteen plus nine" equals 169. Going to hex is even easier: ten is A, nine is 9, write 'em next to each other, that's A9. (There's a reason we use four-bit chunks!) Works almost as easily in reverse.

Or, for a more timely comparison that RAH should have been able to figure out, if a WWII ship's radio operator can transcribe Morse code by ear because that's his job, his Space Patrol counterpart who works with binary-decimal-hex all day long will be just at good at translating that in his head. Even better, probably; Morse code relies on remembering a table, whereas this is grade-school multiplication.
Early Univac computers used octal notation in the manuals, 3 bit chunks.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #1338
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
In one of my former lives, I had to be able to read and convert data between decimal, octal, hexadecimal and binary on a regular basis. We also had handwritten tables for navigating paths through switching subsystems. Not everyone was a mathematician, though and some of our people had problems remembering that B was eleven...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #1339
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
I think the thread drift has gone on long enough. The mods would be grateful if members would return to only posting FREE/BARGAIN — Science Fiction & Fantasy deals in this thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 AM   #1340
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To get back on topic: Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein is $1.99 at Amazon.

Luckily, this classic book has never been revised after publication
A real classic. I recommended it in another thread.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #1341
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Early Univac computers used octal notation in the manuals, 3 bit chunks.
Octal trivia: the Intel 8080 instruction set was easiest to read in octal since that made seeing which registers were being used very easy to see.

In a pathetic attempt to remain on topic, Doranna Durgin's The Reckoners is on sale at Kobo (likely Amazon as well) for $0.99. I've liked some of her books so will be picking it up though she's been rather hit and miss for my tastes.

Last edited by DNSB; Yesterday at 03:57 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #1342
maddz
Evangelist
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In a pathetic attempt to remain on topic, Doranna Durgin's The Reckoners is on sale at Kobo (likely Amazon as well) for $0.99. I've liked some of her books so will be picking it up though she's been rather hit and miss for my tastes.
99p on Amazon.co.uk as well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reckoners-T...doranna+durgin

Although I generally like Durgin's work, I may pass on this one - it seems to be straying close to her romance series rather than her fantasy series and I've way too much on my TBR pile as it is.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:51 PM   #1343
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is $2.99 at Amazon US right now.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote